AVS Forum banner

An 'ol trick for some JVC owners....

4K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Fatshaft 
#1 ·
This was a well-know, tried and true, technique for older JVC's (circa 2009). Take the bulb out (and clean that), and then clean the back of the optical plate? that is the first line-of sight for the bulb....I used a little eye-glass cleaner, along with the optical 'towelettes'....DO NOT use regular tissue....some had felt not to use the lens cleaner, but in this case, well the pics show it off. For those of you that didn't know this, this 'haze' is usually caused by the off-gassing of the bulb casing, and possibly other non-metal components within this section of the pj.....This is my JVC RS20.....

before and after...resulting in a slightly brighter picture, along with more apparent clarity.... :)

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Zombie, do you miss your 50? I've got over 5000 hours on my RS20: triple the time of all the previous 9 projectors I've owned since '97. I guess, now that I'm 40, I'm starting to say to myself, 'This still looks great and it's good enough'...wait, did I just type that!?! :eek: :cool:

#8 ·
How easy is it to get to? Every time I disassemble something, I always seem to have extra parts after putting it back together. Is there a thread or site that details the procedure?

I am height limited to a 17' wide 16:9 screen. Fired up my old rs40 on unpainted drywall and it was surprisingly watchable. I thought it would be way to dim.

#11 ·
It is not good idea to clean the bulb. It is fine to clean the diffuser plate. the procedure is simple. simply re,ove the bulb cage with the bulb inside. follow the JVC manual for how to remove the bulb cage with the bulb inside it. you will very likely shorten the bulb life by attempting to clean it. you can not hurt the diffuser plate which you will clearly see and have access to once you remove the cage. use a lens cleaning cloth which you can buy from any photo equipment house or store and a small bottle of lens cleaning solution. rubbing with the cloth is probably enough and you will see the cloth get dirty. The haze that the cloth will remove is from vaporization of non metallic material in the cage and the cage housing itself (maybe). If you can't do this you might want to consider giving up the sport and attempting to boil water. :)

#12 ·
Just curious, you ever make it down to Florida or you still in MD?

BTW, does this same effect happen on a JVC RS-45?

#18 ·
So today I decided to check what my RS45 looked like inside.

After 3 years of use (approx 3000hrs) the glass looked crystal clear.

No fogginess on the optical plate.

I have no info on whether the outgassing problem was solved by the advent of the RS45. However, on any projector there, with use, may be a non visible clouding of the diffuser plate. They can look clean but nevertheless will have a deposited film acting as a light robbing filter. I would clean the plate anyway and note whether the cleaning cloth became dirty at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.