Forum Jump: 

Old 01-10-2015, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Projector Suggestion

Guys, I'm hoping to get suggestions for a projector to use in my living room/ht. The room is 25x21x10 with openings to 3 other rooms. I've improved the level of ambient light control, but it's still not perfect and I doubt it will ever be. If possible, I'd like to mount on the opposing wall which would put the lens roughly 19' from the screen. That said, if this really impacts projector choice and performance then I will most certainly ceiling mount. I'm heavily leaning towards a 120" Stewart Studiotek 130 G3 screen.

The projector will be used almost exclusively for either sports or movies. Movies will be mostly at night so I will not have to deal with as much ambient light. Sports will often be during day and with brighter room lighting as well. I'm not interested in 3D or 4K (yet), but I would certainly like a high quality 1080p projector.

I'm not sure how bright a projector I would need for this kind of viewing so I don't know how big a budget is appropriate. I'm open to hearing all ideas and suggestions.

Edit: I guess as a starting point I should mention that I am certainly open to spending $5k on a projector. If there is a model that will fit the bill for slightly more I am open to that. Unfortunately, the 25K 3 chip dlp's are out of my budget.

Last edited by cmryan821; 01-10-2015 at 09:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2015, 12:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post
Guys, I'm hoping to get suggestions for a projector to use in my living room/ht. The room is 25x21x10 with openings to 3 other rooms. I've improved the level of ambient light control, but it's still not perfect and I doubt it will ever be. If possible, I'd like to mount on the opposing wall which would put the lens roughly 19' from the screen. That said, if this really impacts projector choice and performance then I will most certainly ceiling mount. I'm heavily leaning towards a 120" Stewart Studiotek 130 G3 screen.

The projector will be used almost exclusively for either sports or movies. Movies will be mostly at night so I will not have to deal with as much ambient light. Sports will often be during day and with brighter room lighting as well. I'm not interested in 3D or 4K (yet), but I would certainly like a high quality 1080p projector.

I'm not sure how bright a projector I would need for this kind of viewing so I don't know how big a budget is appropriate. I'm open to hearing all ideas and suggestions.

Edit: I guess as a starting point I should mention that I am certainly open to spending $5k on a projector. If there is a model that will fit the bill for slightly more I am open to that. Unfortunately, the 25K 3 chip dlp's are out of my budget.
Consider the JVC RS4910 or the Sony HW55ES. Give us a call to discuss pros and cons of each.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 01-11-2015, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 140
You did not mention the room color, height of ceiling, floor color etc.. Ambient light from other sources needs to be controlled but reflected light can be as big a problem. Spending big bucks on a very high contrast projector in a room without full light control (including room treatment within a minimum of 5' from the screen surface could lead to a less than stellar outcome. Just something to consider..
Old 01-11-2015, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Consider the JVC RS4910 or the Sony HW55ES. Give us a call to discuss pros and cons of each.
Mike thank you for the suggestions. A quick look at them shows that the JVC has 1300 lumens of output, but some reviews show it calibrates brighter than the Sony. I'll call tomorrow and discuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
You did not mention the room color, height of ceiling, floor color etc.. Ambient light from other sources needs to be controlled but reflected light can be as big a problem. Spending big bucks on a very high contrast projector in a room without full light control (including room treatment within a minimum of 5' from the screen surface could lead to a less than stellar outcome. Just something to consider..
Walls are a light brownish color (I don't know what it's called exactly lol but that's how I'd describe it) and floor is dark wood. I believe I mentioned that the ceiling is 10' feet (had to double check but yes). I do appreciate you giving me a reality check as I may just be rationalizing that I can make it work in my living room. Unfortunately, my living room really is the only room in my home that is suitable for a projector. So, it's either give it a shot or move lol. Or no projector of course.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post

Walls are a light brownish color (I don't know what it's called exactly lol but that's how I'd describe it) and floor is dark wood. I believe I mentioned that the ceiling is 10' feet (had to double check but yes). I do appreciate you giving me a reality check as I may just be rationalizing that I can make it work in my living room. Unfortunately, my living room really is the only room in my home that is suitable for a projector. So, it's either give it a shot or move lol. Or no projector of course.
That sounds like it should be dueable. Just see a lot of folks that are new to projection (including myself at one point) not realize how important the room is to the end result. I would say go for it, you can always find creative ways to fix room issues once you make the initial investment and the better-half is on-board.. Never thought I would have a section of black velvet on the ceiling of my living room when I got my first projector.. It does make for some interesting conversation when people see it for the first time..