Adding Anamorphic lens to my JVC DLA-RS10 - lifetime device? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-13-2015, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Adding Anamorphic lens to my JVC DLA-RS10 - lifetime device?

I've been considering purchasing an anamorphic lens for my JVC DLA-RS10 and switching out my current 16:9 screen for a 2:35. After researching some on anamorphic lenses I keep seeing people mentioning that this is a modification or investment that they'll never let go of. Is that to say that you can continue utilizing this lens with other projectors as technology progresses? That is I suppose, until there is a project for under $10k that can provide the same quality as a Xeit CM-5E or CM-4KR. Or, is this a matter of glass quality being superior more so than the technology available in 10-15 years?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-13-2015, 06:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 129
May I suggest spending time in our forum dedicated to the topic

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/117-2-...e-height-chat/

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
For Sale: ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair)[/B]:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
post #3 of 14 Old 01-14-2015, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 18
A good lens you will use for multiple projectors. I prefer using a lens to the zoom method for 2.35 screens.
post #4 of 14 Old 01-14-2015, 08:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmass03 View Post
I've been considering purchasing an anamorphic lens for my JVC DLA-RS10 and switching out my current 16:9 screen for a 2:35. After researching some on anamorphic lenses I keep seeing people mentioning that this is a modification or investment that they'll never let go of. Is that to say that you can continue utilizing this lens with other projectors as technology progresses? That is I suppose, until there is a project for under $10k that can provide the same quality as a Xeit CM-5E or CM-4KR. Or, is this a matter of glass quality being superior more so than the technology available in 10-15 years?
I have used my lens with several different projectors. Currently using it with a VW600ES, but I think I would upgrade the projector and use lens memory, before I spent that kind of money on an A-lens to be paired with that old of a projector. Unless you are thinking about buying the lens now and updating the projector within the next year.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #5 of 14 Old 01-19-2015, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I've used an Isco II lens with my old HD350 (RS10) and the last two years with my X35 (RS46). I do prefer using the lens to just zooming, however my next projector is likely to be a 4K or at least e-shift type 4K (perhaps an X500/RS49) and for that I intend to sell my lens and just use the projector's zoom memory. So even as a pro lens user I feel that there has come a time where my lens isn't necessary.

Caveat being that in my room zooming doesn't give up any brightness compared to using my lens (actually measured, not just by eye) but this is possibly due to the way JVC's light output changes from minimum zoom (telephoto) to 1.33x zoom. I do prefer the look of the lens image, but having seen some 4K projectors on larger screens than my own I know that I'd be happy with the look of the higher resolution 4K compared to 1080p with lens.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #6 of 14 Old 01-19-2015, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 422
I have a wonderful A-Lens system that I use sometimes, but I only really use it because my throw distance meant I couldn't get those last few inches of imaged size for scope images on my big screen. If my JVC projector zoomed out enough to fill my entire screen width I would have just stuck with using the zoom/lens memory feature, which works great and, to me, mostly obviates the need for an A-lens. (Also because there is no visible pixel structure with the JVC projectors, and one of the benefits of A-lenses with previous types of projectors was in reducing visible pixel structure for scope movies. Once you have E-shift type images or a 4K projector, this benefit for the A-lens is moot).
post #7 of 14 Old 01-19-2015, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 129
My experience with my JVC DLA-X700R (with e-shift paired with a OPPO 103D)...I was struggling finding a mounting system to remount with the JVC (I had used the lens with my Planar projector). I spent about 6 months zooming. Finally, I used different chief projector mounting parts to mount my lens.

I wouldn't go back to zooming after using the lens with the JVC. I don't know what will happen down the road with a 4K projector. But, my findings are a sharper detailed image with the lens, then without.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
For Sale: ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair)[/B]:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
post #8 of 14 Old 01-19-2015, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Rich, haven't conversed with you for a while.

Do you have an X500/RS49 or something else, I forget? I've seen some really good deals on the RS49 over here and I'm tempted to sell my Isco II and X35 and take the jump to e-shifted '4k'. I reckon it could be about £1,000 to change at the deal price, given what I could reasonably expect for selling my X35 and Isco II. I'm embarking on some room changes that will (finally) mean I get much more contrast out of whatever projector I have, but doing the room change and a PJ upgrade is tempting to keep me happy for another 2-3 years at least.

post #9 of 14 Old 01-19-2015, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
I have a wonderful A-Lens system that I use sometimes, but I only really use it because my throw distance meant I couldn't get those last few inches of imaged size for scope images on my big screen. If my JVC projector zoomed out enough to fill my entire screen width I would have just stuck with using the zoom/lens memory feature, which works great and, to me, mostly obviates the need for an A-lens. (Also because there is no visible pixel structure with the JVC projectors, and one of the benefits of A-lenses with previous types of projectors was in reducing visible pixel structure for scope movies. Once you have E-shift type images or a 4K projector, this benefit for the A-lens is moot).
I didn't realize that's why some people wanted to use anamorphic lenses. I guess you'd want a "cheaper" lens then. I've had 5 UH480's here and 2 ISCO IIIL's and either lens doesn't degrade pixel delineation from the prime lens. The UH480 does a bit in the corners, but not the ISCO IIIL. I suppose you could fix this by defocusing the lens a tad. But then again, you don't need an anamorphic lens to do that. With that said, a 4K projector still has visible pixel structure (I've seen this on two Sony 4K units, the 1100ES and 600ES) and it will look differently than an e-shifted image from a JVC or Epson projector, which has no visible pixel structure at all. 4K will allow a closer seating distance to see those pixels but they'll still be there.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-19-2015, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Seegs,

What I meant about reducing visible picture structure with an A-lens was the combination of the Anamorphic re-scaling process as well, where the scope image is re-scaled (via the projector, Blu-Ray player, outboard VP etc) to the full panel resolution of the projector - hence a more dense pixel structure in your scope image than not employing the A-lens and processing. This was one of the touted benefits for A-lenses, a smoother image for scope movies, since otherwise you are blowing up your image quite a bit via the zoom method, making pixels more visible.

I never really noticed pixels even using the zoom method pre E--shift on my JVC projectors.

I use the UH480 lens as well.

As to visible pixel structure with the true 4K projectors, I figured it would still be there, given I can even still see pixels on the 4K flat panels.
(When I demoed the Sony 1100 the image was small, so no visible pixels). When I finally get a native 4K projector, likely JVC or Sony, I hope the pixels don't become at all visible - I'm so used to the smoothness of the JVC E-shifted image that now 1080p pixel structure on flat panels drives me a bit nuts.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-19-2015, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Currently I'm using an ISCO IIIL with my X500. Normally, I don't enable e-shift though lately I have been. But, it's like you said, the zoom method forces you to make the pixels quite a bit larger. But all of this comes down to seating location and visual acuity. If you're sitting close to the screen and/or have great vision you may want to hold on to the a-lens for a bit just to make sure you definitely don't need it when you buy your first 4k projector. Though an easy fix would be to simply defocus the image.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-19-2015, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I just sold my Isco with my recent projector upgrade 11S1 with optics being so good on the projector I prefer not having one. With that being said the JVC 4910 definitly looked better with the lens then with out. I would upgrade your projector first.
Good luck with your decision.
post #13 of 14 Old Today, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What about light output? Doesn't an A-lens help keeping a high light output while by zooming you lose a lot of light?
Does an a-lens make sense for bigger 2.35 screens in terms of brightness?
post #14 of 14 Old Today, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

It depends on what zoom range the projector is used in when the lens is in place. In my set up I have to put my X35 at minimum zoom when using my A-lens (Isco II) due to the very long throw I have and my screen is still slightly overspilt. The minimum zoom is good with a lens because I get absolutely minimal pincushion (helpful since I have an electric screen which isn't curved).

If I then zoom to fill my screen then there is a change in brightness caused by the way a projector lens aperture changes (or I should say how the lens in my JVC changes as some models aren't effected so much). Basically I measure pretty much the same lux at the screen whether I zoom or use my lens.

My case may be unusual, however it is usually better to use a projector towards minimum zoom end (telephoto) so I could still be a factor in many set ups.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - DLA-RS10 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page