Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old Today, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question New projector setup; need some advice

Hello Forum!

I'm looking to add a projector to my living room, and I'm not yet sure if it will be an additional display or a replacement display. My space definitely has some challenges, and I would like to bounce the details off this thread since none of these challenges are likely unique. A big thank you in advance for any help....

I have a soft-loft style condo. That means there aren't discrete rooms as much as there are spaces. This album contains pictures of the condo before I purchased. Photos 9, 10, and 11 are the living room where the projector will be installed, and the goofy shelving is where the screen will be located. The wall of windows faces south.

Initially, the plan was to have a TV as well as a projector. So I ripped out the shelving, and installed a screen. ...due to the ceiling support, I had to install a mask & 2 hooks for hanging a retractable screen.

The next couple of projects involved making the live-in girlfriend happy as well as building a proper entertainment center (1, 2, 3, 4 ...still some finishing work to do).

The 40" display was replaced, and I installed a rotatable mount for my vertically oriented arcade games. With that said, I've found a significant gap involving "game time" due to career & personal projects.

I've finally tackled light control with solar shades for each window & two runs of blackout drapes. ...I don't have pictures yet, but will upload a link this weekend. (expect an edit)

I believe my remaining challenges include:
  • concrete ceiling
  • potential ambient light
  • wall color
  • drape color
  • distance from screen

Since it doesn't look like I'm going to be getting a significant amount of gaming done, I'm open to putting this TV in storage & installing a fixed screen. SI's black diamond literature leads me to believe it rejects rogue light, and the right projector might be just as functional as a tv even with some ambient light.

It looks like a 120" 2.35 screen provides 47" of vertical height, and that would translate to a 96" 16:9 image. And for 2.35 content.... Until I'm able to afford a anamorphic lens, I suppose I could either:
  • zoom the image with black bars overhanging the screen
  • deal with bars on the top & side (which is still a 91" 2.35 image)

What all can I provide to help you all guide me on the right choices? I'm planning on supplying the dimensions of the room, specific pictures of the room, multiple light measurements using my phone (will buy a light meter if that is significantly better), and anything else requested.

The VPL-HW55ES has had my eye for quite some time. But if I end up spending a projector's worth on a screen, I might have to consider dropping to a less expensive model....

A huge thank you in advance for any guidance!!!!

I drink my whiskey clear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Today, 07:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciosad View Post
Hello Forum!

I'm looking to add a projector to my living room, and I'm not yet sure if it will be an additional display or a replacement display. My space definitely has some challenges, and I would like to bounce the details off this thread since none of these challenges are likely unique. A big thank you in advance for any help....

I have a soft-loft style condo. That means there aren't discrete rooms as much as there are spaces. This album contains pictures of the condo before I purchased. Photos 9, 10, and 11 are the living room where the projector will be installed, and the goofy shelving is where the screen will be located. The wall of windows faces south.

Initially, the plan was to have a TV as well as a projector. So I ripped out the shelving, and installed a screen. ...due to the ceiling support, I had to install a mask & 2 hooks for hanging a retractable screen.

The next couple of projects involved making the live-in girlfriend happy as well as building a proper entertainment center (1, 2, 3, 4 ...still some finishing work to do).

The 40" display was replaced, and I installed a rotatable mount for my vertically oriented arcade games. With that said, I've found a significant gap involving "game time" due to career & personal projects.

I've finally tackled light control with solar shades for each window & two runs of blackout drapes. ...I don't have pictures yet, but will upload a link this weekend. (expect an edit)

I believe my remaining challenges include:
  • concrete ceiling
  • potential ambient light
  • wall color
  • drape color
  • distance from screen

Since it doesn't look like I'm going to be getting a significant amount of gaming done, I'm open to putting this TV in storage & installing a fixed screen. SI's black diamond literature leads me to believe it rejects rogue light, and the right projector might be just as functional as a tv even with some ambient light.

It looks like a 120" 2.35 screen provides 47" of vertical height, and that would translate to a 96" 16:9 image. And for 2.35 content.... Until I'm able to afford a anamorphic lens, I suppose I could either:
  • zoom the image with black bars overhanging the screen
  • deal with bars on the top & side (which is still a 91" 2.35 image)

What all can I provide to help you all guide me on the right choices? I'm planning on supplying the dimensions of the room, specific pictures of the room, multiple light measurements using my phone (will buy a light meter if that is significantly better), and anything else requested.

The VPL-HW55ES has had my eye for quite some time. But if I end up spending a projector's worth on a screen, I might have to consider dropping to a less expensive model....

A huge thank you in advance for any guidance!!!!
We would be happy to help you. Give us a call.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
projector condo build advice light

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page