AVS Forum banner

With 4K arriving in spades, will be see discounted high end 1080p DLP projectors?

959 views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  stanger89 
#1 ·
I am still trying to find a mid-to-high end 3D DLP projector that is less than 10k. I just like the "look" of DLP the best, but it seems all that is available is budget stuff or super high end stuff with no middle ground.

Looking for:
3D support
Excellent contrast ratio
Would prefer 0.95 DMD with DC3.

I know Runco and Sim2 have projectors that fit the bill but they are around $18-19k. Any chance these might drop since they don't have 4k?

Has anyone heard of any new 3D DLP projectors in the $4k-$9k range for 2015? Currently using a BenQ W7000 (0.65 DC2 DMD) but disappointed with the contrast ratio.

#2 ·
IMO your best bet is to find a used Sharp 30000 or Mits HC8000 (or Mits 7900). Both are DLP and although they don't have state of the art on/off contrast ratios they are pretty good for DLP. Your problem is that there are next to none mid-range (price wise) DLP manufactures left. Both Sharp and Mits no longer sell HT DLP projectors.

If you wait another couple of years I suspect the 1080p Sim2 3D projectors will begin to come onto the used market -- but that depends to some extent on just how good 4K actually looks and how much content become available. Personally if I owned one of the top 1080p DLPs I'd be loath to give it up just for 4K unless I had a huge screen and was sitting really close.

#3 ·
Unfortunately, the big problem is that when active 3D was introduced many companies had already shifted toward the lower cost more value oriented models. I think it maybe a while before the high end 3 Chip units consistently get to that price point. Every now an then however I see units from the distributor side that pop up.

#6 ·
A 3D LS-5 would have been great, though I don't know if it would've been bright enough. I sent Runco an email asking if there was anyway to "update" the LS-10i I currently have here to change it into a LS-12D. It would appear the light engine is the same, but with updated processing and I/O to allow 3D. IF there is a way to do it and the cost isn't tremendous I may do it. The image this Runco projector puts out is without doubt in the top 3 images I've ever seen. I'd say the JVC DLA-X500, Sony VPL-VW1100ES, and this Runco LS-10i could easily compete with one another for the most well-rounded top notch PQ out there today. To give this model 3D capabilities would be icing on the cake.

#9 ·
Yu know Seegs plays hot potato with projectors. :)

#11 ·
Unfortunately you're probably going to be waiting a long time. It seems there's a perception (if not reality) by projector manufacturers, that they just won't be able to sell an honest 15,000-20,000:1 projector in the $3000-$10,000 price range, not when the competition (JVC, Sony) can do several times that (HW55 is ~60,000:1 per Cine4home, JVC is 350,000:1 per cine4home).

Things look to only get worse going forward, right now, there are (at least) a few

#13 ·
I am still trying to find a mid-to-high end 3D DLP projector that is less than 10k. I just like the "look" of DLP the best, but it seems all that is available is budget stuff or super high end stuff with no middle ground.

Looking for:
3D support
Excellent contrast ratio
Would prefer 0.95 DMD with DC3.

I know Runco and Sim2 have projectors that fit the bill but they are around $18-19k. Any chance these might drop since they don't have 4k?

Has anyone heard of any new 3D DLP projectors in the $4k-$9k range for 2015? Currently using a BenQ W7000 (0.65 DC2 DMD) but disappointed with the contrast ratio.

Higher end companies like SIM don't tend to discount projectors. They just will replace 1080p machines with 4K machines at some point I imagine ( if T.I. ever makes a smaller 4K DLP DMD - which is in question, other than larger 4K chips ).

I too like the look of DLP ( I'm still using one in fact ), but I've grown to like the look of the Sony VW600. IMO, it's pretty close in lots of ways. I switch back and forth. So there are some alternatives these days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.