AVS Forum banner

OPTOMA HD92 and HD93 LED 1080P 3D Projector

8K views 47 replies 20 participants last post by  Frank714 
#1 ·
The next generation of HD90 and HD91 LED projector has been announced by Optoma.

The brightness has been increased (1200 and 1500 lumens)

OPTOMA HD93 :

Resolution/ 1920×1080 (native on 1080i/p)
Brightness (typical)/ 1,200 Lumens
Contrast Ratio/ 600,000 :1
(MAX/ with Dynamic Black

OPTOMA HD92 :

Resolution/ 1920×1080 (native on 1080i/p)
Brightness (typical)/ 1,500 Lumens
Contrast Ratio/ 600,000 :1
(MAX/ with Dynamic Black)

The main difference between these two projectors is the Optical Engine (short throw for the HD92 and classical throw ratio for the HD93) :

http://www.projection-homecinema.fr...92-et-93-hd-nouveaux-projecteurs-1080p-à-led/

http://www.projection-homecinema.fr/2015/04/13/optoma-hd92-et-hd93-dlp-1080p-a-led/

google translation :

https://translate.google.fr/transla...eaux-projecteurs-1080p-%C3%A0-led/&edit-text=
https://translate.google.fr/transla...toma-hd92-et-hd93-dlp-1080p-a-led/&edit-text=

See less See more
Reactions: EmmaDarknet
#33 ·
A "new" projector from Optoma, huh. For some reasons I'm not excited at all.
HDMI 1.4 :(

Thanks to Kraine as always for delivering the hottest news.
Almost all manufacturers that claim 2.0 compliance use regular 1.4 chips, as a manufacturer explained to me, there is one baseline across all HDMI versions, 480P, if it can do that then it meets the standard. There is no requirement to offer the full 18 gigabit/s bandwidth.

Now this is an HD product so 1.4 can handle this just fine.

#3 ·
I hope Optoma learned their lesson with the HD90 and HD91. These units need to see a substantial bump in brightness (at least 300 calibrated lumens more), with MUCH better native contrast (at least 2000:1) and a good dynamic contrast implementation (to get around 10000:1 dynamically). If they can fix these three things I think this projector could be a winner for Optoma.

#4 ·
I totally agree, the HD91 was a mess mainly because of the lack of brightness.

#5 ·
I just hope they fixed those picture performance deficiencies which plagued the HD 90 and 91.

Is there already an estimate when those new Optoma models are supposed to become available?

#8 ·
Possibly includes pixelworks' latest True Clarity technology.

Would be interesting to learn whether Pure Motion judder reduction will finally handle program content equally shot with a film (24 fps) or with a video camera (60 and 50 Hz).

IIRC, for 60Hz territories you could equally apply Pure Motion for film oder video recorded content (e.g. Optoma HD 8300). Unfortunately, in PAL territories (e.g. Optoma HD 83), Pure Motion was only available for program content shot on film (playback via 60 Hz Blu-ray or 50 Hz DVD and TV). :(

#9 ·
We'll have to see:

Dynamic Black IV Generation
Dynamic Black IV smoothly adjusts the lamp output automatically, based on the brightness information of each frame; to create a stunning contrast ratio. Bright scenes are crisp and clear, while dark scenes remain detailed with deep blacks which gives exceptional light and shade detail.

#11 ·
So how is the Vivitek review comming along:)

I am happy to see Optoma improving the light output but I was hoping for 1500 calibrated lumens on the standard lens. I will be needing something that can light-up a 150 to 160 inch 1-gain screen so it appears I will need to keep looking.

The next press release that I am interested in, is for the Benq W7500 replacement.

#12 ·
Which Vivitek model are you referring to? The Optoma was not even half of the rate you were expecting. I think it's going to be a number of years before we see high lumen output LEDs. Maybe by 2020 we'll have something of the sort. Even if we doubled the LEDs in the light engine (2 LEDs for each color), we'd only be getting a little bit more than 1000 lumens.

#15 ·
I suspect that LEDs in front projectors have seen their day. Laser is here and it can produce much more calibrated lumens than LED. The transition to laser has begun and without some technological improvements (much higher lumens) to LED it's my opinion it'll fade away over the next few years.

#20 ·
I'm not an electrical engineer or anything close to it (and it surprises me that I actually know how to extrapolate wattage if the voltage and amperage is known), but considering the voltage to the LEDs is low does that still necessitate a robust power supply or does the high amperage make things more tricky? Please forgive my ignorance if this train of thought is totally wrong.

#21 ·
Its a first order linear equation (the extrapolation) so I am not surprised that you can do it without being an engineer.

Supplying high voltages is easy, the components are very light weight. the wires are high gage (small in carrying diameter). supplying high amperage involves large and massive everything.

#25 ·
This quality in me is exacerbated online. In person I'm much easier to deal with as you've seen :)

The faceless nature of the internet does this to a lot of people who would ordinarily be much easier to deal with in person. I just like to be right, Mark. I can't help it. :(

#31 ·
the problem is the color gamut was off by a good margin and the grey scale would shift during the dynamic LED dimming so it made calibration very difficult on this model.

They need to fix this first before making it brighter or claiming higher contrast. I'm curious how they are planning to do this. It had possibly one of the worst perceived black levels of any model i've seen since the $500 Acer 5360 that was released in 2010. My .95 DC4 Planar and .65 DC3 Sharp 30K are both noticeably better in this area vs. the HD91.

#35 ·
I see in the specs that it only does 1080P 3D @ 24p (probably 23,98), not 25P, 30P, let alone 50P and 60P.

Interesting info by Mark on the high amperage, low voltage requirements of LED, vs. the high voltage low amperage of pumped diode blue lasers.

Still interesting to see if it lives up to its promises, as it generally is the basis of many clones. Viewsonic, now Sim2, and several other brands.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.