Bulbdirect - At last Plus/davis (etc) group lamp buy update!!! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #31 of 44 Old 04-09-2001, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
MartyP
Thank you very much for the pricing you've supplied thusfar. However it looks like other vendors currently have lower pricing on some of the lamps..such as mine (THANKS! Mr Wiggles). Perhaps what is needed now, if Bulbdirect so chooses, is for them to conduct a rigorous search for the lowest priced supplier(s) for various lamp bulbs...the ones listed by the forum members. Forum users: PLEASE let us know of the best suppliers you know of.

Because this forum is full of Internet savvy users, perhaps we can assist Bulbdirect in locating the best, lowest price DLP/LCD/D-ILA,etc lamp suppliers. It may be that one vendor (bulbdirect) cannot always match the lowest price, especially now at the beginning of this arrangement, but perhaps down the road with input from all the forum members, they can become the prime lamp supplier for this forum. But that depends on if a sound/profitable business case can be established by Bulbdirect that this role here at AVS is indeed worth their effort.

That said, unless Bulbdirect can quickly match/beat the 290.32 price for the UP1100 lamp that I will have to buy mine from PCNation. Please let me know asap.

But even if Bulbdirect can't match/beat pricing from other vendors now; if they are willing and things work out, perhaps they can work to signup with up the best suppliers and eventually become the lamp supplier of choice here at the AVS forum. But as we can see already, their prices/services will have to be consistently very good to in order to "beat out" other Internet lamp suppliers.

I'm personally rooting for Bulbdirect because they seem to be good people and at least have expressed a willingness to try. But unless they can..and are willing.. to establish/maintain themselves as the best price/service business model for projector lamps then it opens the door for other businesses to do so for this forum/etc...this is just the realities of the current Internet business model.

But whether Bulbdirect, or someone else, hopefully some entity will want to become the lamp supplier of choice to this forum. There is certainly a prime/influential market here; but such savvy buyers as are found here will require a highly motivated vendor to meet our needs. Perhaps AVS themselves can help leverage/setup such a vendor...Alan?

Again thanks in advance to all involved who try to make this work...
Veritas

[This message has been edited by Veritas (edited 04-09-2001).]

Enduring reality; At least until something better comes along..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 04-09-2001, 10:52 PM
PAP
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Are we SURE that that lamp is the exact replacement for the UP1100 bulb assembly. Sure it's not a "barebones" lamp without a housing or something like that. I get real nervous when ASSUMING that things will work ok just because the products are similar. Especially when talking about several thousand dollar projectors.

------------------
Lex MC1/Sunfire CG/Hales Rev3's x3/M&K SS150 tripoles/Quadscan/Plus UP1100/Homemade screen

Good, cheap, easy - pick any two.
post #33 of 44 Old 04-10-2001, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone talked to PCNATION about the power buy. They seem to have the best starting point http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif .

Mr W: I have not forgot you I will send you the results of the Gamma correction that you sent. I have been comparing it with another mod that I have. I have been watching all of my movies the last few weeks with either of these two sets of curves, and have been happy.

------------------
Gary

STOP DVI/HDCP!
DVI/HDCP! ~= HD-DIVX!!!
DO NOT SUPPORT JVC or anyone else who supports this!

Gary
post #34 of 44 Old 04-10-2001, 09:19 AM
PAP
AVS Special Member

Mr Wiggles- WRT to the bulbs at PCnation for the plusup1100, my bulb number says "UP280DC" but you say it should say "UMRD-280PL". I find the 280 comforting (this is the bulb wattage I would guess?) but now I'm wondering why my bulb assembly has a different number.

I have noticed on occassion bulb start failures - will strike and flash but then not light. Sometimes have to start a couple times to get going. My current lamp only has around 300 hours on it. Is it possible I have the wrong lamp in there? I bought mine used from someone I didn't know (ebay) so I don't know it's history. It only had around 80 hours when I got it.

I think I'm going to order the pcnation bulb, for that price I'll take a chance.

------------------
Lex MC1/Sunfire CG/Hales Rev3's x3/M&K SS150 tripoles/Quadscan/Plus UP1100/Homemade screen

post #35 of 44 Old 04-10-2001, 09:20 AM
PAP
AVS Special Member

OH, and I was going to ask if they are the same bulb, why is the one for the LT100 higher priced (aren't they the same projector?). They are sold out of the LT100 by the way.

------------------

post #36 of 44 Old 04-10-2001, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
If you have lamp start problems it is most likely that you have an earlier version of thepower supply installed in your projector. Plus has utilized approximately 5 different models of power supplies with each one becoming sibstantially better than the last. The presentpower supplyis made by the lamp manufacturer and works very well. You should speak with the service department at Plus regarding this issue and they will be able to explain what is wrong with the power supply. unfortunately the replacement cost for the power supply is very expensive.

post #37 of 44 Old 04-10-2001, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

PAP,

I am talking about the number on the bulb itself not the Plus part number.

Cliff,

I am glad to hear that Plus refined its power supplies. My power supply is from Sony and I have had firing problems in the past. No matter how much I try to avoid Sony, I still keep getting their crap.

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------
The Mothership is now boarding.

post #38 of 44 Old 04-13-2001, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi Marty. I was wondering in that you specifically mentioned the Viewsonic 850 which is a clone; but, you did not mention the viewsonic 1030(Davis 650 clone). Just want to be sure because Chatani explained to me that the software upgrade version"L" was not compatible with the clones. It registered as software for ds 8 cinemaone and caused much color saturation(green tinting). As a result,I still have software K. Before I consider buying I need to know if the bulb is compatible with my clone? Thank you.
post #39 of 44 Old 04-13-2001, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Coug,
Yes the viewsonic is the exact clone of the Davis 650. I am currently using software revision "L" in my Viewsonic 1030. The "greens" you describe are a natural byproduct of the upgrade (though I have not seen it on an original Davis 650 to verify if it is only an effect on the clones - I strongly doubt it.) The Viewsonic techs I have talked to wouldn't know the internal software from a ... well you finish it.
If anyone has a Davis 650 with revision "L" to try, let's hear your results. I have communicated with the techs at Davis and they basically feel they are "done" with the 650 (a discontinued machine)so we are going to have to cure the greens ourselves.
I am concerned that it "registered" on your projector as a cinemaone ds8 upgrade. Sounds to me like you may have uploaded the wrong file...

Robert

------------------
Robert Clark

Robert Clark
post #40 of 44 Old 04-14-2001, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
[ I have communicated with the techs at Davis and they basically feel they are "done" with the 650 (a discontinued machine)so we are going to have to cure the greens ourselves.
Robert

[/b][/quote]

Hi Robert. I am scaling via 950 AMD w/ge-force 2 pro.Which card are you using? What color settings are you using to scale your Viewsonic? HAve you fixed the green tinting yet or do you just put up with it?
post #41 of 44 Old 04-15-2001, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
With Powerdvd it's easy. Just go into configuration and turn off hardware acceleration if it's on and slide the blue and red sliders to adjust. I have mine set on +6 for each. Voila, awesome picture with no green!
With DTV it's a stickier problem. I have tried using gel filters with some success but I am not skilled enough to adjust my geforce overlay settings. I have adjusted the color overlay green gamma but it has no effect on DTV. If there is anyone more skilled than I please post some advice!

Robert

------------------
Robert Clark

Robert Clark
post #42 of 44 Old 04-17-2001, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

PAP,

Forget the manufacturer part numbers and description.

Look at the bulb and read my post from above. The USHIO part number should appear in a similar fashion to this on the bulb.

UMRD
280PL

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------

post #43 of 44 Old 04-17-2001, 12:53 PM
PAP
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the prompt reply. The bulb does indeed say UMFD 280PL and is made by Ushio so that makes me feel better. However, I would guess that that same bulb might be put into multiple housings. Since you assure me that the DX1 is the same unit as the plusup1100 I guess I'm set to go.

Thanks again for the heads up from pcnation.com - I've now got a reserve bulb for a decent price. I owe you one http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

post #44 of 44 Old 04-17-2001, 10:46 PM
PAP
AVS Special Member

Mr Wiggles (or anyone else):

I did buy the bulb from PC nation as reference above. What I got in the package is labeled "Model: Lamp008" and the invoice says "replacement lamp for ultralight DX1" The UPC is 0031019024978.

Is this the right lamp for the plus UP1100? I am a little nervous because the numbers on the outside do not match what my OEM plus bulb says, but it looks the same general shape. I can't easily get to my projector to test it, and don't want to try to run it because then I couldn't return it if necessary.

Would appreciate any feedback.

------------------

Closed Thread Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page