projector with auto calibration with internal camera? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ivo welch

post #1 of 4 Old 05-22-2015, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
projector with auto calibration with internal camera?

I am looking at a projector like the epson ls10000. $8000.

Why does a human still have to do the calibration for a projector in this price class when competent 13MP cell-phone camera systems have BOMs <$100? with a camera built in, the projector could constantly readjust the focus, panel alignment, readjust the colors (e.g., depending on other lighting sources, and/or surface or even wall paint color reflections). I understand that a person may do it better than a computer ONCE, but it cannot do so continuously.

if the camera system does not drift itself randomly over time, then even a lousy camera can be calibrated at the factory to what the right settings should be once, and then the projector computer could handle this happily ever after.

this should be much easier than all the many other complex aspects in a good modern projector.
blu-dog-avs likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-23-2015, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1509 Post(s)
Liked: 547
A system like that is kind of pointless. A projector does not need to be constantly calibrated or adjusted like a camera, maybe once every 200-300 hours you need to fix some minor drift (especially with todays projectors, they don't typical need the constant attention older ones did with color, gamma and greyscale). You should be adjusting focus and convergence after the unit has warmed up, that way every time you power the unit back up it will be dialed in when warmed up. Projectors really don't need a system like the one you speak of.
post #3 of 4 Old Yesterday, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1256 Post(s)
Liked: 1260
it's kind of a catch-22 imo.

MOST(not all) ppl that are willing to spend top dollar on a projector are seriously into the hobby, or mega rich. so they pretty likely to either do their own calibrations, and somewhat enjoy that, or have no problem paying for one.

it's the ppl buying the 800-1200 dollar business class projector that would get the most benefit out of something like this. and at that point, it may not be financially appealing, or even that noticeable.

don't get me wrong, i wouldn't be against a simple to use system like the auto-eq/mic features on a receiver, but i don't think they need to have a built-in camera that's constantly adjusting things

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #4 of 4 Old Today, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
not pointless. but perhaps less desired than I thought.

a single calibration can easily costs $300. from what I understand, as bulbs (lasers?) age, they also change in a non-deterministic fashion. the panels can get out of alignment, too. and even with some light seeping in from a window and wall-paint, it can make a difference.

most receivers nowadays come with a mic and autocalibration, even if it makes less difference here.

pity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP