Dual projector - hookup tips? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Seegs108
post #1 of 16 Old 05-26-2015, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Dual projector - hookup tips?

So, I'll be joining the multi-PJ group soon, I've seen lots of recommendations here to use multiple projectors to take advantage the best attributes of both.

Question is, how do you hook that up? HDMI splitter? Any HDCP issues?

Some background, I've got a Darbee, Lumagen Radiance XE 3D, Anthem AVM 50V 3D, Planar 8150, and soon to have RS4910. I've got all my sources connected to the Radiance which feeds my Planar through the Darbee. The other HDMI out of the Lumagen feeds my Anthem with audio.

I tried hooking up two projectors recently (that's another story), to do so I hooked the second projector to my Anthem, and passed video through that too. Now that worked well, or so I thought. I ran into trouble when I tried to play Blu-ray and then I ended up having what I can only assume is an HDCP issue.

I guess my question is, did I do something wrong, should I expect that to work. Would an HDMI splitter work better, or work at all? Can you feed one signal from a BD player to multiple displays or does HDCP prevent that?

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-26-2015, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 30
When I had my Radiance XS, I was switching all my sources on the AVR and then using one output from the AVR into the Lumagen and out to the 2 projectors. I'm not sure about the XE but it was my understanding with the XS that I could output the digital audio over coax from the Lumagen into the AVR and thus retain the two Lumagen HDMI outputs for video to the two projectors, had I been using the Lumagen to switch sources.

For Sale: Panamorph DC1 anamorphic lens
For Sale: Navitar SSW065 short throw conversion lens
WTB: Triad InCeiling / InWall Gold Omni SE's or Silver MiniMonitors
Small HT: JVC RS4910, Mits HC7900DW, Falcon 2.35:1 100-wide, Triad Gold Omni SE & Silver Surrounds, PSA XS15-base, Marantz SR7008, Oppo 103D, Lumagen 2143 (soon), Tivo Mini, HTPC

Last edited by jjcook; 05-26-2015 at 04:33 PM.
post #3 of 16 Old 05-26-2015, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
When I had my Radiance XS, I was switching all my sources on the AVR and then using one output from the AVR into the Lumagen and out to the 2 projectors. I'm not sure about the XE but it was my understanding with the XS that I could output the digital audio over coax from the Lumagen into the AVR and thus retain the two Lumagen HDMI outputs for video to the two projectors, had I been using the Lumagen to switch sources.
I could do that, but the Lumagen seems to handle HDMI/sources much better than my Anthem. And while I could spit out coax, that would preclude passing HD audio to my Anthem.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #4 of 16 Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
So, I'll be joining the multi-PJ group soon, I've seen lots of recommendations here to use multiple projectors to take advantage the best attributes of both.

Question is, how do you hook that up? HDMI splitter? Any HDCP issues?

Some background, I've got a Darbee, Lumagen Radiance XE 3D, Anthem AVM 50V 3D, Planar 8150, and soon to have RS4910. I've got all my sources connected to the Radiance which feeds my Planar through the Darbee. The other HDMI out of the Lumagen feeds my Anthem with audio.

I tried hooking up two projectors recently (that's another story), to do so I hooked the second projector to my Anthem, and passed video through that too. Now that worked well, or so I thought. I ran into trouble when I tried to play Blu-ray and then I ended up having what I can only assume is an HDCP issue.

I guess my question is, did I do something wrong, should I expect that to work. Would an HDMI splitter work better, or work at all? Can you feed one signal from a BD player to multiple displays or does HDCP prevent that?

You can try an HDMI splitter. I'll send you mine. I had issues with Blu Ray not syncing, but I have a 1080p projector and a 4K projector, which may be part of the problem. I believe Mike has two projectors being used with no issue - maybe he can chime in.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #5 of 16 Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, depending on if I'm sensitive to the lag on the 4910, the 4910/8150 combo may be a permanent setup. If I decide I need a "gaming" projector, well given what I could likely get for the 8150 and what a replacement would cost, I might as well just keep the far superior 8150

post #6 of 16 Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1647 Post(s)
Liked: 860
I am doing it the easy way. A prepro with dual HDMI output. I did used to have a Lumagen in the mix, but only used it on one projector. At that time I was using a dual output AVR. Before that I used a splitter with a 1080P projector and a 720P projector and experienced problems every now and then. Though I used that same splitter with a 1080P TV and a 720P projector in another room and it worked fine there. The more stuff you have in the chain, the more likely you are to have problems. Though I did get AVR, 6' HDMI cable, Lumagen Mini, 30' HDMI, Darbee, 6' HDMI cable, projector to work fairly reliable on one side. Other side was straight from AVR to second projector The HDMI cables were before Redmeer was available.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #7 of 16 Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I have 3 moniotrs connected to my setup.

I use 1 output on my pre to my lumagen, which has dual outputs to my 2 projectors, then I use the other output on my pre to my pc monitor that I keep at my rack.

If you do any type of fast input gaming, you will notice the lag and want to have a gaming projector.
post #8 of 16 Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post
I have 3 moniotrs connected to my setup.

I use 1 output on my pre to my lumagen, which has dual outputs to my 2 projectors, then I use the other output on my pre to my pc monitor that I keep at my rack.

If you do any type of fast input gaming, you will notice the lag and want to have a gaming projector.
I guess I could do three, since I have a 23" monitor at my rack, but I don't use the monitor that much, so I just plug it in when needed.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #9 of 16 Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Hmmm two at the same time? Every man's dream. Not sure about hookup tips though. You just need to find two that are into that.

Using an HTPC would be a great option. My graphics card supports 4 unique or cloned displays in use at the same time. You can use two for video and one for strict audio if you wanted.
d.j. likes this.
post #10 of 16 Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Hmmm two at the same time? Every man's dream. Not sure about hookup tips though. You just need to find two that are into that.

I know you and zombie, as well as others, tend to have more than one projector "functional" in your system at a time. I sorta got it to work, but ran into some HDCP issues, and well running one path through my Anthem doesn't seem that clean.

I could go to the anthem first I guess, and then just feed everything through the Lumagen and have that split it, but my systems been so much more stable with the Lumagen doing all the switching, plus I'd have to change all the macros in my URC remote. I suppose the stability could have been cabling, so maybe that's an option. I don't really need the Lumagen's per-input calibrations so that's not a big deal either.

Quote:
Using an HTPC would be a great option. My graphics card supports 4 unique or cloned displays in use at the same time. You can use two for video and one for strict audio if you wanted.
HTPC won't help with:
  • Xbox 360
  • Xbox One
  • SageTV HD300
  • Chromebox (OpenELEC)
  • Blu-ray Player

I kinda hope I can be happy with just one projector, because mounting will be interesting too. My HT "area" (speakers seating etc) is only about 11.5' wide by ~20-22' long and 7.5' high, but it's in an open half of the basement so there's no wall at the back until you get to at least 35' from the screen, so they've got to be ceiling mounted, or sitting on a box taking up the whole "bar" area I do have some ideas though, might have to get a bit creative with the ceiling tile though.

post #11 of 16 Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:

I know you and zombie, as well as others, tend to have more than one projector "functional" in your system at a time. I sorta got it to work, but ran into some HDCP issues, and well running one path through my Anthem doesn't seem that clean.

I could go to the anthem first I guess, and then just feed everything through the Lumagen and have that split it, but my systems been so much more stable with the Lumagen doing all the switching, plus I'd have to change all the macros in my URC remote. I suppose the stability could have been cabling, so maybe that's an option. I don't really need the Lumagen's per-input calibrations so that's not a big deal either.

HTPC won't help with:
  • Xbox 360
  • Xbox One
  • SageTV HD300
  • Chromebox (OpenELEC)
  • Blu-ray Player

I kinda hope I can be happy with just one projector, because mounting will be interesting too. My HT "area" (speakers seating etc) is only about 11.5' wide by ~20-22' long and 7.5' high, but it's in an open half of the basement so there's no wall at the back until you get to at least 35' from the screen, so they've got to be ceiling mounted, or sitting on a box taking up the whole "bar" area I do have some ideas though, might have to get a bit creative with the ceiling tile though.
Haha I'm just so used to using my PC for everything. You could always game exclusively on PC, get a cable card for your PC, dual boot with ChromeOS/Windows on the PC and watch your blurays on the PC (PowerDVD/MPC-HC) .

I've been using a Lumagen XD for a little while now for its autocalibrate feature with chromapure. It's a great little device and once they come out with a 4K input lumagen I may buy one.

Last edited by Seegs108; Yesterday at 02:37 PM.
post #12 of 16 Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:

HTPC won't help with:
  • Xbox 360
  • Xbox One
  • SageTV HD300
  • Chromebox (OpenELEC)
  • Blu-ray Player

I've had two projectors before. I didn't want to sell my NEC HT1000, so I used it for 1.78:1, and my then new Optoma H79 for 2.35:1 -

The stepped soffit was vented into the attic, and had hidden access panels to get in. Why the room was white - well, hadn't gotten that part worked out with the wife ( now ex - wife ).

Now it's much easier - with a large offset projector like some single chip DLP's, I could add a third one !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #13 of 16 Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Haha I'm just so used to using my PC for everything. You could always game exclusively on PC, get a cable card for your PC, dual boot with ChromeOS/Windows on the PC and watch your blurays on the PC (PowerDVD/MPC-HC) .
No Halo, Forza, Gears of War on the PC. I didn't really intend to get sucked into Xbox exclusive games, but they seem to be the ones that resonate with me.
Don't need Cablecard, already use a PC for my DVR, with SageTV. But the SageTV HD300 does a much better job with TV than any PC setup I've come across, probably partially because my Lumagen handles the deinterlacing and scaling. And I've found no DVR that can come close to SageTV.
PowerDVD is very nearly the worst software I've ever used. MPC-HC is nice, but not the most remote friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I've had two projectors before. I didn't want to sell my NEC HT1000, so I used it for 1.78:1, and my then new Optoma H79 for 2.35:1 -
You've got a bit more ceiling height than I do. If I didn't have it right over my bar, you'd almost have to duck to walk under my Planar.

post #14 of 16 Old Yesterday, 06:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

HTPC won't help with:
  • Xbox 360
  • Xbox One
  • SageTV HD300
  • Chromebox (OpenELEC)
  • Blu-ray Player

Two ceiling mounts, with one projector right behind the other, with the lens of the lower projector, just clearing the front projector.

post #15 of 16 Old Today, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Two ceiling mounts, with one projector right behind the other, with the lens of the lower projector, just clearing the front projector.
Yup that was kinda what I was thinking.

post #16 of 16 Unread Today, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I find a HDMI switch works better than a splitter........

.......in my case.

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP