Forum Jump: 

Old 04-18-2001, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi!
I am buying one soon and need a screen for it. My viewing distance is 9' (throw distance is 14') and I don't want to see scanlines. Which screen do you recommend (the cheaper the better). Also, I watch only DVDs in a pitch black enviroment.
Regards

Mario Lemieux is GOD!
Go Pens!!!
Aguante Boca!!!
If dolphins are so smart...why do they live in igloos?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2001, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 22
"HakB Dont even bother getting a w400, it will only cause u headaches and nothing else. "

Well that was a complete waste of time, storage space and bandwith.

I would guide you over to the www.thebigpicturedvd.com forum and read the w400 faq and forum and also ask for advice there.

It is a great projector! Relatively low lumen though I would personally recommend the Da-Lite Hi Power screen. I use the same screen for my 10HT.

Keep in mind to get the gain it provides you must mount the projector on the same plane as your eyes (i.e. if you sit below the centerline of the screen, the projector should too)

Other high gain screens are the Draper m2500 but there are many reports of streaking problems with that particular screen.

------------------
It's great to have all this great gear. But I'd instead put all that money into software (Movies) I'd have SOMETHING TO WATCH ON ALL THIS GREAT GEAR. Doh!

It's hard to love Martin Logans and 2.35:1 CIH at the same time...
Old 04-18-2001, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
HakB, I have to agree with what akm3 said! Try and show a little respect.

Luis, this is a very good projector to get you into FP home theater. I have heard many use the Dalite hi power screen and love it especially with the projectors lower light output. I am currently using a Dalite Cinemavision 1.3 gain on a 45"x80" and it's bright enough but, I don't like the sparklies that the screen shows, so I'm going to go with a 1.1 matte screen. From a 9' viewing distance I wouldn't go bigger than 75" wide with the screen size. I'm currently viewing mine from 11.5' from the screen. As akm3 mentioned checkout the big picture forum on the Sony 400Q. Welcome aboard!
Old 04-18-2001, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
You may want to keep an eye out in the classified forum next week. Apparently AVScience will be selling some screen very cheap.

Otherwise, www.cousinsvideo.com have great prices and service on the Da-Lite high power.

Steve
Old 04-18-2001, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As a former 400Q owner, I also have to recommend the DA-LITE Hi Power screen; it doesn't have sparkles, unlike many high gain screen, and because it is retroreflective, doesn't have uniformity problems, even if not perfectly tensioned. It also aids in controlling contrast issues due to room light, and though designed for low mounting of the projector, still works quite well with a typical ceiling mount. IMO, this is the best screen material for the 400Q, bar none. My recommendation would be for a permanent mount screen, such as a DA-SNAP, if you can handle it or install curtains in front.

Also, if you're PC inclined, an HTPC set to 540P at 60Hz with either a sync combiner or RGB to component converter will give you the best possible picture from DVD's with that projector.

Best regards, and happy viewing.

Jon

Earth First!

We can screw up the other planets later!
Old 04-18-2001, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Jon, I don't think you can get the Da-Lite hi-power material in a snap screen. The snap screen is used for unsupported vinyl surfaces but, the hi-power screen needs to be tensioned in some way, I have a 12" square sample of the hi-power material and the Da-matte, the hi-power cannot be ordered for a snap surface.
Luis, as I mentioned in my earlier post I would not go with the Da-Lite Cinemavision 1.3 gain, it shows what looks like sparklies or a glitter effect especially noticeable on brightly lit scenes. I have this screen and I'm not happy with it, however, maybe a 1.3 gain from another manufacturer may be ok. Your best bet would be to get the projector then call up Da-Lite and some other manufacturers like Stewart and Draper and ask them for samples of different screen materials and gains, then, hang them on a wall and try before you buy. Dalite sent me a couple samples and I specified that I wanted something a little bigger than just a wimpy 6" square and I asked for a 12" square and the rep said ok, so don't be afraid to ask them.

Tom
Old 04-18-2001, 04:00 PM

Luis,

I agree, the 400Q forum is a wonderful wealth of info. I had a 400Q for 2 & 1/2 years and found the Dalite Video-Spectra fabric did a good job with a gain of 1.5 and with the projector mounted overhead. It is a supported vinyl material with just a touch of sparkle (powdered mica). This combo delivered about 18 foot-lamberts on a 52 x 92" screen with minimal "hotspotting". Just enough brightness IMO for a controlled light app.

Thumper
Old 04-18-2001, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Luis,

As many other forum members have already stated - the Dalite Highpower screen is the way to go. My 400Q lost considerable brightness over about 500 hours of use and the highpower brought it all back. I wish that I had it when the projector was new - I have now switched to a G11.

My highpower also works great with my current setup and it is also a snap version which snaps onto an aluminum frame (front side). The outer 2" of the screen are black (where the snaps reside). You will love it - I believe it was approximately $5-600. DaLite also makes pull down models for less using the same material.

Enjoy the projector, and to get the most out of it definitely spend your time at thebigpicturedvd.com reading about HTPC connections to it. The picture was greatly improved using a HTPC, though it isn't a simple procedure.

Have fun

------------------
Our Home Theater - http://www.fatbulldog.com

Our Home Theater...
http://www.fatbulldog.com
Last updated 1/11/03
[Our new HT is in the works...]
Old 04-18-2001, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The response has been great...thanks all guys. It seems that the general consensus is to go with the Dalite high power. THe whole HTPC is interesting to me but still my pc is not ready to go for it. I'll let sometime pass using my regular DVD and then will upgrade my PC in order to use it for HTPC. WHat is the highest resolution I can get with a HTPC and the Sony projector? How about using a Toshiba SD6200 progressive dvd player?
Regards

Mario Lemieux is GOD!
Go Pens!!!
Aguante Boca!!!
Old 04-18-2001, 08:32 PM

You can also get the Da-lite high power in a lace & grommet system.
This makes for a very flat surface. Mine worked out much better than I
had hoped.

Avery

------------------
My HT Pics http://members.aol.com/thxavery/
Old 04-18-2001, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Is there anything that I can use as a screen while I can get enough money to buy the Dalite?
Regards

Mario Lemieux is GOD!
Go Pens!!!
Aguante Boca!!!
Old 04-18-2001, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Luis, you can buy the Toshiba 6200 progressive scan dvd player, however, you will not be able to use it's progressive scan abilities because the 400 can only except a 480i input, it won't do 480p, you'll have to let the internal deinterlacer of the 400 do the job. It does quite well. Just find a screen to your liking and size the picture for your 9ft viewing distance where the scan lines & pixels don't bother you and you should be quite pleased.

I used my white wall in my living room for a while and was very happy. It worked out better than my current screen surface Da-Lite 1.3 Cinemavision (to many sparklies)I'm changing screens and soon.

Have fun!
Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom Bley (edited 04-18-2001).]
Old 04-18-2001, 09:13 PM

Liked: 11
Well, I have had my 400Q for 2+ years and ~650 hours on the bulb in a totally light controlled environment, still projecting onto a white wall. The brightness has faded a quite a bit but still enjoyable. You should be able to use a white wall or better yet, a homemade screen out of blackout fabric discussed on the Screens forum for at least a month or two while you decide which screen is best for you.

Chuck Anstey
Old 04-18-2001, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok so I'll be using my white wall then. SInce I can't use the 6200's progressive I guess I should keep my Toshiba SD3109 and let the 400 work.
WHen you say controlled light, do you mean pitch black enviroment for movie watching?

Mario Lemieux is GOD!
Go Pens!!!
Aguante Boca!!!
Old 04-19-2001, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes Luis, what chuck means by light controlled environment is that he can watch a movie in daylight hours and have a completly darkened room. My theater is in the basement so I have a light controlled environment as well.

Tom
Old 04-19-2001, 01:43 PM

I use a Da-lite Pearlescent screen with my 400q. It is a 2.0 gain reflective screen, which is appropriate for me since my projector is ceiling mounted. I have a very bright image with this screen with very uniform brightness and no hot-spotting. I don't think you need a room with with no windows or openings, as the previous posts seemed to imply. I don't have complete light control in my room, only partial, but I can still watch during the day if I want. However, for critical viewing, I only watch after it has started getting dark.