Forum Jump: 

Old 04-21-2001, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey PP,

That does not sound at all like the programming cable I have. The one I have is a 9 pin serial on the one end and RJ45 connector on the other. The color of the boot on the 9 pin side is orange.

The programming cable requires that you do not use the mouse feature of the remote, it plugs into the buffer box and then into your serial port on the computer. You also should have received a disk with the programming software as part of the upgrade kit. It sound to me that you may have got the wrong cable?

I have the programming software version 1.9 in a zip file that Tim Smith sent me (my cable came with version 1.5, although I don't see any difference between the two).

------------------
lance
I'm looking for a job!
Resume online at http://resumes.dice.com/lkstitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2001, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks on both counts...

I will call the tech monday and see what happens... I will also definitely need to make a Girder file for this puppy as I am not going to sacrifice my mouse for PC controlled zoom (wont work without the mouse!!!)...

------------------
PhatPhreddy@Bigfoot.com
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater
Old 04-21-2001, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Why not buy a wireless mouse or an airboard with the joystick type mouse built in?

------------------
lance
I'm looking for a job!
Resume online at http://resumes.dice.com/lkstitch
Old 04-21-2001, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Like Lance's, my programming cable is db9 to rj45.

In regards to the control software I wrote, make sure that you have com1 or com2 enabled. If you don't see either com port under windows you'll need to enter the bios and enable it there.

Tim
Old 04-21-2001, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

OK after much hassle I finally ordered and received a programming cable from a NL repair center and dealer of the Davis units... I paid over the US cost but cheap shipping and quick as it was local..

I have received a packet containing 1 x male to female serial cable and 1 x 9 pin serial to two RJ45 style plugs one male and one female.. The serial base was a bright turquoise color... Is this correct ??? I received no software no disks nothing else !!! (I can take a digital photo if someone would like to help me identify the cable) It was labeled RS232 adapter ???

The reason I am questioning is I cant get the Davis control software to work at all either it dumps as it is not the correct port or it waits... asks is my projector on.... waits a LONG time... Then starts the app with a warning that none of the values could be retrieved !! I have no zoom focus or any other automated control !!! I am guessing that this is just not communicating...

I have tried both external serial sockets on both Com ports (added a Com port as well) with same results either immediate bomb (no port) or long waits no connection... I am plugging the RJ45 male into the EVC Buffer box in the normal 'mouse' port (more on this later)...

I am starting to doubt the cabling as I have had no other serial problems until now..

I have also run into a problem I should have seen before... I use the supplied remote as an IR mouse for my HTPC (works pretty well and 90% of my HTPC is controlled by IR with girder I rarely need a mouse for HTPC use) and I was intending to use this mouse to operate the HTPC when using this software... Of course I am having to disconnect the mouse PS2 cable from the buffer box to plug the serial - RJ45 in.. I briefly hoped that the RJ45 female was there to pass the mouse signal through but the mouse RJ45 cable does not fit into the female RJ45 on the programming cable !!! It has a very small lug on the male plug that stops its entry !!!

I have tried a real mouse for now and I will make a Girder Group export with mouse positional instructions to allow me to use the application without a mouse (fired by keystrokes or IR inputs) and Tim was kind enough to say he would consider hotkey inputs anyway but I am curious if anyone else has come up with a solution to using the Viewsonic / Davis mouse at the same time as the Viewsonic / Davis control SW...

Lastly as I received no SW I am on the hunt for all SW I can find, The different Firmwares, The different installers as well as any control SW alternatives..

------------------
PhatPhreddy@Bigfoot.com

[This message has been edited by Phat Phreddy (edited 04-21-2001).]
Old 04-22-2001, 02:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Comm ports are there... I am thinking it is the cable....

As to getting another wireless mouse... I am trying to get as few control devices as possible (thats why the control SW + Girder should allow my learning remote to function as control for the projector) I hate the Airboard mouse and already have one that works fine for what I do in the projector mouse so until I go for a Gyropoint or similar I dont want to ditch it..

------------------
PhatPhreddy@Bigfoot.com