Diagnose my signal interference - new projector install - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-23-2001, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK gang, this past weekend the new Infocus LP350 was installed on the ceiling, the electric Greyhawk was also installed. My install crew used (2) coax in place of (1) S-Video cable, due to the length of the run, approx. 27'. They used an MIT cable on each end that converted the (2) coax and "Y" them to (1) S-video connector to go into the Infocus.

I am getting a faint horizontal line that rolls upward from top to bottom. Before it reaches the top, another new faint line starts rolling again up, from the bottom.

Much appreciated,

Dave

Is this anything anybody here on the forum can diagnose so I can tell my install crew what to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-23-2001, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Most likely is a ground wire problem.

What kind of power cable are you now using ? Is it different from before ?

You can get a power conditioner and see if something get better or you can try to eliminate totally the ground wire for the projector.

The problem can also be the AC wiring of the DVD player or AV receiver.

bye

------------------
dubmaster
post #3 of 9 Old 04-23-2001, 11:49 AM
wm
AVS Special Member

Sounds like a classic ground loop.

Do you have cable tv? If so, disconnect the cable antenna feed from ALL of your AV equipment and see if that solves the problem. If it does, you need an isolation transformer, best I've seen is from Jensen Transformers. I happen to have some in stock, I give them to my customers if they have this problem.

If not cable tv, then it's harder to solve. The best solution is proper grounding, but that probably means opening up the walls and rewiring all of the related outlets (using a star ground). Sometimes lifting a ground on a power cable can help diagnose the problem, but I don't recommend this as a permanent solution.

Wm

wm_avs6 (at) meier-phelps (dot) com (Note - new address! Please do not use AVS PM)
---
Optimized by William PhelpsÂ
post #4 of 9 Old 04-23-2001, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mmcdlc:
OK gang, this past weekend the new Infocus LP350 was installed on the ceiling, the electric Greyhawk was also installed. My install crew used (2) coax in place of (1) S-Video cable, due to the length of the run, approx. 27'. They used an MIT cable on each end that converted the (2) coax and "Y" them to (1) S-video connector to go into the Infocus.

I am getting a faint horizontal line that rolls upward from top to bottom. Before it reaches the top, another new faint line starts rolling again up, from the bottom.

Much appreciated,

Dave

Is this anything anybody here on the forum can diagnose so I can tell my install crew what to do?
</font>
Guys, i should have emntioned I am using a Monster 3000 power conditioner. The power cord is not the actual cord supplied with the projector - but it is an identical twin. It has the same connector at both ends, is also 6' long and same diameter. You wouldn't be able to tell them apart. The original is misplaced, and this one was laying around so we used it.

Dave

post #5 of 9 Old 04-23-2001, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Dave I used to get similar scrolling lines when any dimmer switch in the house wasn't all the way on or off, but with a power conditioner, you should have eliminated that possible source - just a thought

Andy
post #6 of 9 Old 04-23-2001, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

As Wm suggests:
If disconnecting the CATV from the input to the residence does not solve your problem, you are better off using an isolation transformer as it specifically addresses the problem you are describing. To confirm that it is a ground loop I would consider using a cheater plug (3 to 2 ac adapter). If this eliminates your slow moving 60hz bar, than I would consider going with an isolation transformer. I share the success with Jensen composite vid, S vid, and line level audio products. There is an excellent white paper on their website http://www.jensentransformers.com

One other note a six dollar grounded outlet tester could confirm if your current outlet is wired incorrectly.

------------------
STOP HDCP on DVI
Don O

[This message has been edited by Don O'Brien (edited 04-23-2001).]

Cheers,
Don O
post #7 of 9 Old 04-23-2001, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mmcdlc:

Much appreciated,

Dave

</font>
Thanks to all for the replies - I will give ALL of this info. to my install crew this week when they come back!

Dave
post #8 of 9 Old 04-23-2001, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

good info.

I am having the same problem.

Sure hope it isn't the dimmer problem. I have two in my HT and they are completely necessary.

I already have one of those cheater plugs in my HT set-up. Now it looks like I need another. I hope I don't get a raid by the UL anytime soon.

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------
The Mothership is now boarding.

The Mothership is now boarding.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-24-2001, 12:19 AM
wm
AVS Special Member

The best fix for grounding problems is a "star" or communications ground... Not a simple thing to do, though, unless you have the walls open, since it requres rewiring all the outlets. If you are in the process of constructing your theater, however, you owe it to yourself to do this. Anyone who has visited here can attest to the results.

Wm

wm_avs6 (at) meier-phelps (dot) com (Note - new address! Please do not use AVS PM)
---
Optimized by William PhelpsÂ
Closed Thread Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page