NEC VT540 or LT155 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-23-2001, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It would seem the primary benefit to spending the extra $500 or so on the LT155 would be to gain MLA and some extra light output. But the 1000 hour lamplife of the LT155 is a major drawback. How bad is the screendoor effect in the VT540 and is the improvement with the LT155's MLA worth the extra investment. My viewing distance will be around 15 feet and would like to have somewhere around a 100" screensize. Also, how much can I expect to pay for replacement lamps on these two units?

Higher quality sources will be Dishnetwork 6000 HD and DVD via HTPC, but would also like to feed in NTSC. Are the built-in NEC scalers acceptable for line doubling the NTSC video.

Also, considering there is only one VGA input, is there an inexpensive VGA switcher that can be had to switch between the HTPC and dish6000.

Hardwired

TI Purepath Digital:
Quote:
An audio revolution from the source to the ear...found in $99 DVD receivers to audiophile-grade $10,000 audio systems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-23-2001, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Hardwired,

I own a VT540 and I'm extremely happy with it!! I have made the switch from a CRT unit to the NEC and IT'S AWESOME!!! As far as the screen door effect, my seating position is about 11' back (first row of seats) and about 16' second row and I don't notice it at all on regular program material. While surfing the net I'll notice it here and there but only if I'm concentrating on it!! I run both HTPC (VGA) and S-Video inputs and I get the same "no screen" effect on both. As a matter of fact, with HD material it's ALL GONE!! The picture is completely smooth and black levels are outstanding!! I even run the unit in what NEC calls "eco" mode, basically a lower lumen output and it's PLENTY bright for my 100" 4:3 matte white screen! In "eco" mode the bulb life jumps to 3000 hours! If needed, I can even run some backlighting in the room with no problem! With some minor tweaks and adjustments to the "white balance" the picture is the best I've seen. LCD units have come a long way!!
If you couldn't tell, I love my machine! If you are interested you should check out this post.
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/005876.html

I got my projector from Carl at www.projectorsuperstore.com

I guess what it comes down to are your eyes! You should get a demo or find someone in your area to view either for yourself.

Hope that helps,
Michael

------------------
Let's go out to the lobby.
Let's go out to the lobby.
To have ourselves a snack!
Michaeldare@earthlink.net

[This message has been edited by michaeldare (edited 04-23-2001).]

Let's all go to the lobby
....Let's all go to the lobby
........Let's all go to the lobby
............To get ourselves a treat!
post #3 of 4 Old 04-23-2001, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Michael,
Thanks for the great feedback on the NEC!
Which CRT unit did you upgrade from and which other FP did you have the chance to evaluate before settling on the VT540?

Is it possible to run the NEC during the daytime with say just some normal room shades closed with acceptable results akin to an RPTV unit?

Also, what would you suggest for a budget screen.
I've seen a few comments about a panamorph lens that allows 16:9 material to use the entire 4:3 LCD pixel grid. Would the panamorph and a 16:9 screen be a natural upgrade progression from a temporary/budget 4:3 screen?
Or does NEC have any plans to introduce an affordable 16:9 LCD XGA projector this year...

TI Purepath Digital:
Quote:
An audio revolution from the source to the ear...found in $99 DVD receivers to audiophile-grade $10,000 audio systems.
post #4 of 4 Old 04-24-2001, 06:55 AM

I auditioned LCD and DLP (LP340) projectors and am the happy owner of a VT540. I find the screen door effect a non-issue for me. I have an 80" screen and the pixels are not visible to me. Maybe because I used to have an old LCD projector with much lower resolution (it was like pixels dispersed on a black background) that I am almost unaware of the tiny pixels on the VT540. This is a great little unit. I am using S-video inputs now and the picture is excellent. The colors are superior to the DLP projectors. I will try component inputs when I finally install it on the ceiling. Get this unit and enjoy a wonderful picture!
Closed Thread Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page