VT540 crops the image! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-28-2001, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Never heard of that before. I'd be curious to change your DVDO to sync on green.(internal jumper) then hook it up into the VT540 with one of your cables that you partially removed the pins. This will give you your color tint etc and aspect controls. I do not know if it will exhibit the same information loss that you are experiencing. The signal will arrive to the VT540 as Progressive Component and may provide a differnet output as regular component..
Regards,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-28-2001, 03:27 PM

John-
My second player is a progressive scan Pioneer (the cheap one). Using progressive component input there's still the info loss. Also, the iScan can switch between RGB and component output (I have to change the cable as well to get the NEC to recognize it). I've tried this, the component signal is cropped, the RGB signal is full 2.35.

I doubt many people will have noticed this. A 16x9 image is exactly 16x9, there's just additional image beyond the frame which can be scrolled into view. A 2.35 letter box image within the 16x9 is less than 2.35, again, with additional image beyond the frame.
Never had a reason to use the horizontal position, and just happened to try it. Also, most people regularly using svideo or component, don't have access to an RGB signal as well to compare, and they probably haven't noticed. 6" on 104" is less than 6%. Still, it's 6" of image.

It would be interesting to check this on some other projectors, too.

[This message has been edited by drmyeyes (edited 04-28-2001).]
post #3 of 6 Old 04-28-2001, 09:57 PM

I recently got a 2.35:1 screen, and noticed that all the 2.35 DVD's I played seemed short of 2.35 and left me with vertical bands to mask at the sides of the screen. I figured that the discs were not really 2.35:1.

Wrong.

Using component input, playing around with the horizontal position control, I noticed that there is a significant portion of the picture that is being masked off, that scrolls into view when the horizontal position is changed. I tried this with two different DVD players, and so it is not the player but the projector.
I then switched to RGB input, with an iScan. Lo and behold, the image is now true 2.35:1. By adjusting the clock and the horizontal image controls, the full image is displayed, in 2.35:1 ratio. I then went back to component and svideo to double check, both with and without the iscan.

On a 104" wide 2.35:1 screen I estimate that almost 6"of the image is unseen, masked off by the projector in svideo and component mode. This is not insignificant. On RGB the screen is filled.

This works fine for me, since I change aspect ratio with my ISCO (no ratio control on the VT540 in RGB mode) but there are no picture controls other than brightness and contrast.

This seems to make a strong case for HTPC.

All you other VT540 users out there, check your 2.35:1 movies, see what ratio you're really watching, and figure out how much you're missing. (I noticed this first on "The World Is Not Enough"). You can try scrolling around in 16x9 mode to see what you're missing.

Is it my projector or all of them?
post #4 of 6 Old 04-29-2001, 05:09 AM

Guess I'll put a call in to NEC. Maybe this is a matter of calibration.
Anyone know what overscan is? Could this be it?

[This message has been edited by drmyeyes (edited 04-29-2001).]
post #5 of 6 Old 04-29-2001, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe that that is overscan. I remember a thread discussing the FOX logo being chopped off (which is really kinda silly since the less image from FOX the better). They apparently have a smaller overscan allowance than other channels. Anyway, I remember adjusting the positioning settings until the entire picture was shown. This image was from a Unity Motion entering via RGB. I haven't tinkered with the component input (HDD200), so I'm not certain if the settings are the same.

------------------
The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!
Our Silent Angels

HBO is guilty of Crimes Against Filmanity!

From Paragraph 44 of the 5th Report and Order: We note in this regard that broadcasters and networks have emphasized their commitment to high definition television.

Our Silent Angels Please visit The Manny Page!
post #6 of 6 Old 04-30-2001, 03:37 AM

I was able to adjust things on RGB, just not on component or svideo. RGB doesn't do the anamorphic squeeze, so I'd be in trouble without the ISCO.
Closed Thread Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page