Need help with vt540 settings - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 04-20-2001, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm trying to get the best possible picture (aren't we all) out of this thing, and I hope to pick the brains of some other forum members who have vt540s.

I am using a Tosh 5109 progressive player thru component to drive it. I also have some s-video sources like a Dish Network receiver and a Dreamcast. I have an Iscan v1, but I find the picture looks better without it. Projecting onto da-lite tripod mounted glass-beaded screen, 70x70.

Anyway, I calibrated with Avia last night, and I'm pretty happy. However, there is a slight yellow emphasis in certain scenes. Yellow objects seem oversaturated with yellow, if that makes any sense. I know how to (try to) eliminate red push, but not yellow push. Ideas?

Further, what settings are you using for Noise Reduction? I set mine to Off. I have aspect ratio set to Cinema (for anamorphic dvd's) and Normal for s-video sources and full-frame discs. For (forgot setting name) I'm using Normal instead of Natural 1 or 2 because I thought it looked, well, more natural.

Color matrix is SDTV, and type is Cr/Cb. Should I be using something else?

Thanks!

rick

[This message has been edited by rickforrest (edited 04-20-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-20-2001, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Rick:

Since I'm running my VT540 off of an HTPC, the projector won't let me footle around with those settings that you mentioned (VGA input locks down most of those settings). I can tell you that I have had good results with the Gamma set to "Natural 2" and the R, G, and B settings for White Balance each set to about 60% Brightness and 85% Contrast.

------------------
Scott Gammans
Another satisfied NEC VT540 owner
The Scooterplex Cinema 1
post #3 of 15 Old 04-20-2001, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Rick,

I sent you an email concerning my set-up. It's very similar to what Scott posted earlier. I can send you the link and the "graphic" file that was posted by Mark Rejhon (a well know voice on the forum) and I can tell you it really works!! The only problem I see for you is that it requires a HTPC to display the graphic and make the adjustments. Actually, it really will only help you if you are running an HTPC, so I really wouldn't worry too much about these settings. They are designed to sync up the CPU's video card refresh rate to the exact rate of the projector. It truly is a night and day difference!!
As far as the brightness and contrast settings, I agree with Scott Gammans. He said that he runs the brightness at about 60% and the contrast at about 85%. The contrast makes a huge difference in the "black" levels. Keep in mind that I have the settings for brightness and contrast via the "picture" mode in the menu set to 50% (dead middle where the blue/green highlight displays in the adjust bar). All the above adjustments that I use (and Scott Gammans) are with the "White balance" area in the menu, and the "Gamma Corrections" set to natural 2. It was a toss up for me between "natural 1" and "natural 2" but in the end I think that "natural 2" gives off the most "realistic" appearence. I also use "ECO" mode to help the blacks. I switched from an old Sony CRT unit so the "lower" overall brightness setting is still way beyond what I'm used to. I also run a Matte White 100" 4:3 screen.
I don't know what you have planned for your theater, but an HTPC will blow you away in terms of picture quality! I run a Sony DVD player via s-video and also an HTPC dvd player, it's not even close!! You should consider it. The place to go if you need ANY computer hardware is definately www.pricewatch.com . Here is the link that Mark Rejhon posted a while ago about how to adjust your projector using the attached graphic. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/002952.html . The post is about how to adjust your "D-ILA" but it works the same for any DLP, LCD, D-ILA with "timing" adjustments.

Hope this helps......
Good luck,
Mike

------------------
Let's go out to the lobby.
To have ourselves a snack!
Michaeldare@earthlink.net

Let's all go to the lobby
....Let's all go to the lobby
........Let's all go to the lobby
............To get ourselves a treat!
post #4 of 15 Old 04-21-2001, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Whoops... forgot to mention the "Eco" mode in my post. One thing about that, though... on occasion (esp. with dark/low contrast movies like Dark City I will pump up the lumens to full. Most of the time, though, I find "Eco" more than sufficient.

------------------
Scott Gammans
The Scooterplex Cinema 1
post #5 of 15 Old 04-25-2001, 09:58 AM
tk
Advanced Member

Is there same results if only changing picture setting so that brightness is 60% and contrast is 85%?. What are benefits when pumping up white balance settings? Does it work with s-video too or is this trick for HTPC only?
post #6 of 15 Old 04-25-2001, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

tk,

Good question. I'm at work right now, but I'll check when I get home and let you know.... My opinion is that it should effect each input basically the same. It is adjusting the brightness and contrast for each RGB, so I'm not too sure. I'll check....

Did I confuse you enough with that political answer???
Mike

------------------

post #7 of 15 Old 04-26-2001, 05:47 AM

With component input on a Dalite high gain screen-

Natural 2 gamma- natural 1 is a bit blacker but has less shadow detail, 2 works best overall

White level settings are flat, both brightness and contrast. When I raise the contrast significantly, I lose picture detail. I suspect that raising or lowering all of them equally is the same as using the picture control. The white level controls do give you a way to do this when using RGB input, and also can boost/cut unequally if the bulb spectrum shifts.

Picture controls have contrast boosted just a smidge (4 clicks on the remote), and brightness cut just the same smidge.

Color level turned down significantly, and seems to be drifting to need even lower- I wonder if my bulb spectrum is drifting?

I've been playing with the color matrix setting, and have lately been using SD with Y-Cr-Cb, but the best setting varies a bit with the color balance on the DVD. I've used flesh tones as a way to figure the setting to use, but haven't touched it too much, as this can also be accomplished with the picture controls.

Mostly using the high output bulb setting. With a hi gain screen, yet. Guess I like it bright. The added punch is really impressive, and the color balance seems different between the bulb settings, and more natural on high output. Black level still looks good to me, especially on scenes with contrasting bright areas. While the image is quite bright, no one has ever complained that it's too much so, and it's still a lot less bright than the real world on a sunny day.
post #8 of 15 Old 04-26-2001, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

drmyeyes - you and I have arrived at almost the exact same settings. The *only* difference is I have it set on Normal rather than Natural 2. It's weird that OUR settings are so alike, whereas Scott and Michael have similar settings (to each other) but seem so different from ours. Must be the screen.

Must be the screen. I have a matte white 1.1 on the way. We'll see what that does to the equation.

rick
post #9 of 15 Old 04-27-2001, 04:38 AM

My color saturation seems to be gradually increasing, and I'm not sure why. Last night I had to turn down the color level to almost zero, and even all the way off, I've still got color. I seem to recall that when all the way off, you should have a black and white image.
Could one of you check this- just turn your color way down and see if you get black and white. If so, I need service.
Thanks.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-27-2001, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

FYI, my screen is a homemade jobby that uses white blackout curtain liner material stretched across a pine frame. Very reflective, very white.

As for my color settings, yep, I'm afraid you need service... I turn mine to zero and it's all B&W.

------------------
Scott Gammans
The Scooterplex Cinema 1
post #11 of 15 Old 04-28-2001, 03:36 AM
tk
Advanced Member

It seems that there are very small amount of good vt540 units out there if you mean that it is broken if you cannot get B&W picture. I have tested 5 units and none of them produced B&W picture when COLOR setting was turned all the way down!!
post #12 of 15 Old 04-28-2001, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Ooops... my bad. I'm a little color-blind; my partner tells me that there are definitely some hints of color even at the "zero" setting. Apologies.

------------------
Scott Gammans
The Scooterplex Cinema 1
post #13 of 15 Old 04-28-2001, 10:25 PM

I went to factory 'default' and reset the projector. Color's okay now, but for some more upsetting news, see my post on cropping.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-30-2001, 08:09 AM

Are any of you guys using a gray screen? I have a home-made using a formula that I found in one of the forums here. I think I used "Cape Cod Gray" if I remember correctly. I know that this will affect my settings - just don't know how much. Anybody?

davidylyl
post #15 of 15 Old 04-30-2001, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Davidylyl,

I'm in the process of building one now. I'm using Veil Grey for the color. I'll post in a few days and let you know....

Mike

------------------

Closed Thread Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version