Poll: Dwin Transvision and the Rainbow effect - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 04-07-2001, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Poll: Of the people who have actually seen the Dwin Transvision, have you seen the rainbow effect? (I would check it out for myself, except the nearest dealer that has a unit is 350 miles away)

If so, could you please indicate size of screen, aspect ratio, how far you were to the screen and gain of screen.

I have spoken to two dealers and Roger of Dwin, each states there is no rainbow effect under normal viewing conditions.

Thanks
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-07-2001, 04:33 PM

Jeff,
The Dwin is one of the best single DLPs I've seen. Great blacks, detail and color IMO.
But...
I am one of the unfortunate ones who seems to see rainbows everywhere. During the opening sequence of 'Lost In Space' rainbows flashed across the screen. My friend who was viewing with me was oblivious to the effect. Now in all fairness I must say that the the rainbows were more pronounced on the Seleco HT 200 which is supposed to be fairly rainbow free according to some posts here.

Hammerman
post #3 of 20 Old 04-07-2001, 05:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
I cannot see it at all.

I can see it on some of the other units!

I will get a chance to see the new Davis units end of this month and they are the first to use the 6 segment color wheel which is said to visually eliminate this artifact!

------------------
Thanks Very Much!

Alan Gouger
AV Science
www.avscience.com
post #4 of 20 Old 04-07-2001, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Jeff - I have seen the Dwin Transview, and no "rainbow" effect for me. I thought the picture looked very good. I saw it on a 16:9 ,100" diagonal Stewart 1.3 gain screen from about 12'

I did however see the "green rectangle" effect. That is the image of the thousands of dollars this thing cost flashing through my head http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Reed.
post #5 of 20 Old 04-07-2001, 06:58 PM

I have seen the Transvision on an 8 foot wide 16:9 screen 1.3 gain from 8-14 feet. Did not see rainbow effect or pixels/ when I got closer than 8 ft. I saw pixels.
post #6 of 20 Old 04-07-2001, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

My wife and I have seen the Transvision with a variety of our own discs and we both did not see the effect at any level.(thankfully)
We also had a look at several other units (LP-350,LT-150,Dreamvision,HT-250).

The effect was noticiable to "both of us" on the LP-350,LT-150 and Dreamvision. The HT-250 only displayed the effect on 2-3 instances and it is not an issue against this unit in my view. The HT-250 was the only other unit we may have purchaced but it needs an outboard scaler.

The screen was a Greyhawk 1.78.1 that was 100" and we sat/stood between 9ft to 15ft back during our shopping expedition. If you do not see the rainbow in the other Dlps you will not see it in the DWIN. If you do see it in the other Dlps "You Should Not Buy The Dwin Until You Try It".
For us it is perfectly suited to what we needed in the living area.

DavidW

post #7 of 20 Old 04-08-2001, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
.."If you do see it in the other Dlps "You Should Not Buy The Dwin Until You Try It".

I'd say you really should not purchase ANY projector until you can see it in person. Or find a dealer with a 100% satisfaction guarantee so you can audition it at home. It may have some other quirk that drives ou nuts !

Considering the cost of these projectors it would likely be worth a couple hundred bucks to hop on a plane and fly to audition it, if necessary, IMO.

-- Cain
post #8 of 20 Old 04-08-2001, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Alan!!

You can't see it now, so I'm sure you won't see it with the new DAVIS units ;-)

post #9 of 20 Old 04-08-2001, 09:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Cain

If I walk up to the screen so that I am 2 feet away and dart my eyes
left or right really fast I can see this effect.

Under normal viewing distance and conditions I cannot see this effect.

Regarding the new 6 segment color wheel I am hoping at 2 feet away I can see an improvement. If so then people that are more sensitive than others and notice this effect at normal viewing distance may finally be able to enjoy 1 chip dlp!

------------------
Thanks Very Much!

Alan Gouger
AV Science
www.avscience.com

[This message has been edited by Alan Gouger (edited 04-08-2001).]
post #10 of 20 Old 04-08-2001, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

You 'da man!!!!

Keep us all posted..

post #11 of 20 Old 04-09-2001, 03:08 PM

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Alan Gouger:
Cain

Regarding the new 6 segment color wheel I am hoping at 2 feet away I can see an improvement. If so then people that are more sensitive than others and notice this effect at normal viewing distance may finally be able to enjoy 1 chip dlp!

</font>
That will be nice! I could see the rainbow on the the DWIN from my normal viewing distance, on a white 1.3 screen, 93" wide. If they can get rid of this bothersome (to me) effect, a dlp will likely be in my future!

-Tom

post #12 of 20 Old 04-09-2001, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

I don't see the rainbow effect at all unless I bend over a DLP projector mounted on the floor and look directly down into the light.

Would someone please test a DLP (one you see rainbow with) using s-video and then try it with a HTPC (a good one) and report if there is more or less rainbow effect. Warren, for example, has found much less rainbow effect when using his HTPC! This should be a fairly simple, cost effective experiment and one that should attract sufficient numbers to give us some indication as to whether or not a HTPC might offer a solution or partial solution to DLPs and rainbow.

I only want to see DLP rainbow if it comes with a pot of gold!

Cheers,

Grant Smyth

Remember, seeing is believing!

post #13 of 20 Old 04-10-2001, 10:56 AM

I saw the Transvision at a local dealer with a Stewart 1.3 gain 80 x 60 screen masked off for Dances With Wolves. I didn't see any sign of rainbow, but I never saw it on the Seleco HT200 either. It hadn't been properly tweaked and didn't look great, but I didn't have issues with rainbow.

Joel
post #14 of 20 Old 04-12-2001, 05:53 AM

I saw the Transvision on a 4:3; 1.3 gain; 84" diagonal screen. I didn't see the rainbow effect, seating about 14' from screen. I thought the picture and the colors were great. The projector was ceiling mounted and it was really quiet. I was debating between the Seleco HT-250 and the DWIN. After seeing this projector, I made up my mind and I am going with the DWIN.
post #15 of 20 Old 04-30-2001, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Look at the thread "Oh no, so that's what rainbow is!" or something like that. Smitty, a new owner of a DWIN posts his finding on the rainbow artifact.

------------------
David Mendicino
Sharp xv-s55u (Don't laugh) :)

David Mendicino
post #16 of 20 Old 04-30-2001, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Unfortunately, I'm one of those rainbow sensitive folks. I'm hoping the new 6 segment wheel will cure it. I will say that of all the units I saw at CES, the DWIN had less of it. But still too much for 11 grand.

Fix this problem and DLP is a no-brainer for me!

Dan

My HT is an oldie but goodie!
post #17 of 20 Old 04-30-2001, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I have gone back and looked at this quickly and I can not see any rainbow with my Transvision.
I just think we have two camps here, those who do and those who do not. Looking at the posts I would say its about 25/75. I guess its like LCD for me, in that the "screendoor thing bugs me big time" and looks like video too much. I prefer the Crt smoothness and film look. Dlp and in particular the Transvision gives me this. If I could see the rainbow effect I would not have the unit either but I do not see it and I am happy not to.

DavidW
post #18 of 20 Old 04-30-2001, 07:48 PM

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Alan Gouger:
I cannot see it at all.

I can see it on some of the other units!

I will get a chance to see the new Davis units end of this month and they are the first to use the 6 segment color wheel which is said to visually eliminate this artifact!

</font>
Alan,
Any update on the new Davis unit? (BTW what's the model name/number?)
Doesn't Dwin use a Davis engine for their Transvision?
Any word if they plan to move to the 6 segment color wheel?

Thanks,
Paul
post #19 of 20 Old 04-30-2001, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

David, I tempted to ask if you looked at Chapter 21 of Gladiator, but on the other hand, if you haven't seen it yet, maybe you shouldn't push it. One of my friends could not see it no matter how hard he tried. We've been kidding him all day that the mouse on the treadmill in his head doesn't run fast enough.
post #20 of 20 Old 05-01-2001, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Smitty
The wife borrowed my Gladiator and a few other discs to her brother yesterday. I will get them back tonight. I did look at BLADE which is also dark and contrasty (is this a word? SP?) and this disc had no rainbow effect for me or the wife.

Smitty I am sorry but I am not going to go jump off the pier over this as I just do not see it on the Dwin. Not for the lack of looking and shaking my head anyway. I did see a few artifacts in Blade but I saw absolutely no rainbow effect.

I have seen this effect on an LT-150 (not sure if the clear section was off) and I have seen it on the Infocus LP350 and the Dreamvision (original davis version). So I know what to look for. I used that worn out 5th Element Disc that I know back to front and played the dark scenes which have flashes of bright light beaming through the windows/candles etc.

It got to be my slow eyes, yet get this I see the slight 60Hz judder on my HD-700 + TS when using film discs (go figure that out).

Gladiator Chp21 will get a workout tonight.

Do not give up on DLP yet as the new 6 element wheels may be better for your fast eyes. Except for a few found jaggies I am very happy with my new setup (we did a silent sealed box which seperates the vents so that the outlet heat exits to a special ceiling exaust (silence is golden)

DavidW
Closed Thread Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page