800:1 dlp projectors under 3 pounds?! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-05-2001, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

I'm looking to upgrade my crappy lcd projector with crappy blacks(read greys). And am very interested in these new xga dlp projectors. They appear to all be clones from the PLUS U3-1080. They have 800 ansi lumens and 800:1 contrast. How is this possible? Do they produce 'true' blacks? Anyone that has one of the clones please step forward and give your honest opinion on the black levels. Where I live there's no way to demo projectors, so I just have to risk it and buy online. The clones are:

Philips UGO X-Lite
Sharp Notevision M10X
Mitsubishi X30

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2001, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The clones are:

Philips UGO X-Lite
Sharp Notevision M10X
Mitsubishi X30
[/b]</font>
I believe there are at least 3 or 4 other "clones" of this 3 lb DLP chassis. It sounds like the best for HT is the NEC LT 150, for which you'll find numerous posts in the archives. I believe there is also an article (or two) at www.projectorcentral.com that talks about these 3 lb DLP's and tells why the LT 150 is the best bet for HT. -- Herb

Old 05-05-2001, 11:55 AM
Goi
AVS Special Member

Just out of curiosity, how does the NEC VT540 compare with the LT150? I know the VT540 is a LCD projector, but its pretty well reviewed and popular.

A64 2.5GHz, Chaintech VNF3-250, 2x512MB Kingmax DDR500, XFX 6800GT AGP, SB Audigy2 ZS, Seagate 250GB, SATA, Liteon 12X DVD burner, 16X DVD-ROM.
Old 05-05-2001, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Do a search under LT-85 clones or my name and you'll find a full review of the Sharp M10S with an iScan.

Steve
Old 05-06-2001, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Goi,

I haven't seen the VT540 yet, but I have a/b the LT150 and the LT155 (LCD). The LT155 is supposedly a step up from the VT540. Both units use the NEC Vortec technology, however, the LT150, IMO, is superior - very smooth picture with vibrant, accurate colours, great blacks and very, very good shadow detail when tweaked. Two caveats - (1) If you're sensitive to "rainbow" then you may want to pass or you will definitely want to use this projector with a (2) powerful HTPC (this should eliminate all or nearly all "rainbow" and give you the picture I just described). If you're not sensitive to "rainbow" (I think the vast majority are not sensitive to this) then a good progressive scan DVD player will work well. The LT150 also allows you to click off the "white segment" and this eliminates the "crawlies" which for me really ruins the picture produced by the other presentation XGA DLPs I've seen and even some XGA LCDs!

The LT155 had a very good picture, however, I just couldn't live with the screendoor - the picture seemed a little gritty even when I zoomed out to make the picture smaller. I tried defocusing to eliminate the screendoor and the picture just didn't seem quite right to me. Its contrast and blacks were quite good, but not in the same league as the LT150. The LT155 has a zoom and a longer bulb life and this may be important to you - for me the picture quality is everything. Same company, but very different pictures.

Good luck with your search.

Cheers,

Grant Smyth

Old 05-07-2001, 09:41 AM

Grant,
a very good post. very straight forward and objective. no phrases such as 'night and day' and 'blow you away' type. thanks

Manny