Custom stand for heavy projector with round base and pipes - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AV Science Sales 5

post #1 of 7 Old 06-23-2015, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Custom stand for heavy projector with round base and pipes

My church needed a custom stand for our new projector because we werent allowed to mount as its a rental. So i designed a mount to hold our epson g6770wu projector which weighed 22.5 lbs. I bought the heaviest base i could find with a 1.5 inch npt in the middle. then i used the regular ceiling mount pipes to create a column going up with multiple pieces(including one adjustable piece), then used a 90 degree connection to go off to the side and then another column going down. Then a ceiling mount was screwed on to the pipe. All pipes were 1.5 npt connections. The base is 50 lbs. I also added a 45 lb olympic weight to sit in the center of the mount to have a total of 95 lb base. I was afraid it wouldnt be stable as the projector load is displaced from the center of mass. It looks fine with the final setup. I wanted to post exactly what i did for anyone else trying to do something similar. The projector ended up costing around 7000 with a long throw lens, standard lens, and extra bulb. The mount ended up being 600 with extra backup pipes. I have attached a picture for the setup. It was the preliminary trial with lighweight projector and no extra weight. I will post final setup later with the long throw lens. The final setup had the projector set on stand in the balcony projecting over a railing to the front of the church. I also attached my final list of items used to make the stand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150619_165444.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	792842  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf projector stand materials list.pdf (64.2 KB, 11 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-24-2015, 06:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1779 Post(s)
Liked: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydaman93 View Post
My church needed a custom stand for our new projector because we werent allowed to mount as its a rental. So i designed a mount to hold our epson g6770wu projector which weighed 22.5 lbs. I bought the heaviest base i could find with a 1.5 inch npt in the middle. then i used the regular ceiling mount pipes to create a column going up with multiple pieces(including one adjustable piece), then used a 90 degree connection to go off to the side and then another column going down. Then a ceiling mount was screwed on to the pipe. All pipes were 1.5 npt connections. The base is 50 lbs. I also added a 45 lb olympic weight to sit in the center of the mount to have a total of 95 lb base. I was afraid it wouldnt be stable as the projector load is displaced from the center of mass. It looks fine with the final setup. I wanted to post exactly what i did for anyone else trying to do something similar. The projector ended up costing around 7000 with a long throw lens, standard lens, and extra bulb. The mount ended up being 600 with extra backup pipes. I have attached a picture for the setup. It was the preliminary trial with lighweight projector and no extra weight. I will post final setup later with the long throw lens. The final setup had the projector set on stand in the balcony projecting over a railing to the front of the church. I also attached my final list of items used to make the stand.

I made a stand for my projector in my family room, since the projector was mounted in front of a window. I used a ceiling mount and inverted it. So the ceiling plate is the base. I then installed a piece of angle on the lower tube, to bolt to the wall. I took a threaded collar and welded it to a flat plate. The flat plate is screwed to a shelf. This shelf is then screwed to the inner pipe. This allows the projector to be used as various heights from 40" to 70". I also installed some gas struts inside the tubes, so that there is very little weight to pick up when you want to raise or lower the projector. Picture shows it in partially raised position for use on HP screen. Shelf is white, because when I first built it, I used a white projector, Epson HC400. Then later a Marantz VP-12S4.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Projector stand.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	793266  
Craig Peer likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.

Last edited by AV Science Sales 5; 06-24-2015 at 06:19 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-24-2015, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
I made a stand for my projector in my family room, since the projector was mounted in front of a window. I used a ceiling mount and inverted it. So the ceiling plate is the base. I then installed a piece of angle on the lower tube, to bolt to the wall. I took a threaded collar and welded it to a flat plate. The flat plate is screwed to a shelf. This shelf is then screwed to the inner pipe. This allows the projector to be used as various heights from 40" to 70". I also installed some gas struts inside the tubes, so that there is very little weight to pick up when you want to raise or lower the projector. Picture shows it in partially raised position for use on HP screen. Shelf is white, because when I first built it, I used a white projector, Epson HC400. Then later a Marantz VP-12S4.

Very clever, excellent execution !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #4 of 7 Old 06-24-2015, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Is there some sort of question you want answered or are you sharing your custom stand project?
post #5 of 7 Old 06-24-2015, 09:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Is there some sort of question you want answered or are you sharing your custom stand project?
I think he is just sharing and since I had one I built several years ago, I thought I would put it in this thread.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-25-2015, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Quote:

That is cool. You should post instructions and materials list. Also I was posting my creation because I didn't find anything like what I did or the above after searching for a long time
post #7 of 7 Old 06-25-2015, 07:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
That is cool. You should post instructions and materials list. Also I was posting my creation because I didn't find anything like what I did or the above after searching for a long time
I made mine several years ago and the products I used are no longer available. I had several mounts sitting around left over from a school that I built, where we installed projectors and screens in all of the classrooms. All you would need is:

3' to 5' adjustable drop tube: http://www.chiefmfg.com/Products/CMS0305 (can use different length if wanting larger or smaller)
A base plate. You could use something like this: http://www.chiefmfg.com/Products/CPA330
A top plate to fasten the shelf to: http://www.chiefmfg.com/Products/CMA110
A wood shelf, sized to fit the required projector. You also would need a small piece of 3"x3" angle iron for the wall clip. You would weld to side of lower tube. Rather than pay the high price of a large gas strut, I purchased two smaller gas struts and stacked them. http://www.indgassprings.com/volume-...choose-fitting You need to size for your needs. In my case I used 40 pound gas struts so that it could support the weight of projector, shelf and tube. To lock the position in place I used a spring loaded clevis pin. I ground down the pin so that it was only 1/4" long. Pin could not go all the way through the tubes, since gas strut is inside the tubes. The pin is just long enough to lock the inner tube to the outer tube. Since the tubes have hole spacing every 3", different heights are available for the shelf.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
custom stand , epson stand , heavy base , mount , projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page