A visit with Dean and the G15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-16-2001, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
ham

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was in California for a conference over the weekend. I have read so much about Dean McManis's setup that I just had to give him a call.

Well, long story short, Dean's setup is nothing less than amazing. He has a G15, ISCO 1 and HTPC on a Greyhawk microperf with an HTPC, for those who don't know. When he switched it on, the startup screen is a shot of all kinds of sushi. It was so realisitic that I walked up to the screen to get a closer look and thought I was going to walk through it! Over the past year I have read many discussions on trompe l'oiel (sp?) or the impression of a true 3-d effect--this is the first time I have seen it in real life.

I had just seen a 9in Runco CRT projector that am at Bay Audio (a great store, by the way); with the exception of somewhat better black levels, there was no advantage at all to the Runco that i could see--we watched a couple of the same scenes--Matrix, etc, and the DILA/HTPC combo was unbeatable.

In that vein, I wanted to get a HTPC but didn't want the setup issues I don't have the time or patience to tweak it. So, I made the decision to get a rock processor, which I received yesterday. After seeing Dean's setup, I was so glad that I did. I received it yesterday and the difference is amazing with my G11/ISCO/Greyhawk. Having the chance to see all 3 setups within days of each other really made my understanding of all this stuff much better and appreciate what a difference a good scaler makes.

Thanks Dean!!

------------------
ham

ham
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-16-2001, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

You've been Dean-ified! All of us locals have had the pleasure of experiencing Dean's setup. Thanks, Dean. Long time no see, BTW.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-16-2001, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

JVG owes Dean a trade in-a G20 on his G15. The number of people that have purchased a D-ILA after seeing his setup is astounding. I am glad to hear you are happy with your projector and setup as described.

------------------
STOP HDCP on DVI
Don O

Cheers,
Don O
post #4 of 9 Old 05-16-2001, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the kind words Ham, it was great to have you and your friend Henry over.

I agree that seeing real home theaters is the best way to get a feel for different display technologies, and determine how you want to set up your own home theater.

Don,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm hoping some day to get my hands on the next 1920 X 1080p D-ILA projector to demo in my home.

Who knows? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

-Dean.

[This message has been edited by Dean McManis (edited 05-17-2001).]
post #5 of 9 Old 05-16-2001, 11:56 PM
KZ

Dean,
Thanks also for the demo.

On a 180" (diagonal) 13:9 GreyHawk screen the image quality from the G15 was completely intact, no pixelation effects, no image breakup. The G15 seemed capable of going much beyond 180 inches. This was a very impressive home theater demonstration, even more so with high-definition sources which produced a you-are-there effect.

High-def footage from a Bills vs Rams football game was crystal clear and razor sharp, drawing a lot of 'wow's. It's the place to be on Superbowl Sundays.

Front projection technologies are evolving more rapidly than other aspects of home theater. I am in the market for a front projector, but I have a very clear picture (so to speak) in my mind of what I expect the projector and associated equipment to deliver. Image quality is the foremost expectation - it must be near-perfect even on a large screen. Reasonable initial cost and cost of maintenance are other expectations as are quietness, types of inputs, flexible zoom lenses, keystone correction, flexible mount options. Built-in scalars are convenient, but I hope manufacturers will provide equivalent models without built-in scaling at an appropriately reduced cost. HTPCs and external scalers are, in many cases, complete replacements for built-in scaling circuitry.

After experiencing the G15 demo, I can say that the technology to deliver the expected image quality now exists and it is a matter of bringing down the cost, increasing the bulb life and providing good flexibility for mounting/screensize. In other words, while the core technology has finally materialized, finished products need a little more "productization" before they become obvious choices to more people.

Of the various projection technologies I have now witnessed (DLP, CRT and D-ILA), my vote today goes to D-ILA. As a former TI employee who was "peripherally" involved with early DMDs, I believe that higher-resolution DMDs in the near future may fulfull my expectations just as well.

I am looking forward to Infocomm.

KZ
post #6 of 9 Old 05-17-2001, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

KZ,

It was great to have you come by far a demo too.

I agree that the evolution of digital projection technologies is moving forward at a dizzying pace, and I fully expect that a setup like mine will be eclipsed within 4 years, with a brighter picture, higher contrast and resolution, better blacks, better scaling, cheaper bulbs, all for well under $5K.

I just hope that I'll be able to beta test it first. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

-Dean.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-17-2001, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi KZ,

Unfortunately, for the foreseeable future, the bad comes with the good. If you really like the picture that you saw at Dean's place, you have to be ready to deal with the non-image-related aspects of the projector.

The Xenon bulb used in 3-panel D-ILA and 3-chip DLP projectors produces a great picture with an almost perfect color spectrum (pure "white" light with no yellow cast). However, the Xenon bulbs are both expensive to buy and quite warm to run. The 3-chip DLP owners are starting to discover this now (see other threads running in the forum).

The price of Xenon bulbs may come down over time, but the cooling will always need to be dealt with, and often the solution is noisy (powerful fans).

You could get the projector to have a lower run-time cost, and be quieter by changing the bulb to UHP. JVC has a new UHP D-ILA projector, and it is available today in Europe (the DLA-1 is the new model name, I believe). I hear that is quite good, but not jaw-dropping like the Xenon "G" model projectors are.

To summarize...many of the GOOD things and the BAD things about the Xenon D-ILAS come from the same place. However, if you change the Xenon bulb to get rid of the bad, you change the whole projector.

Mark Hunter
Technical Director, Home Theater Products
Datacolor, Inc.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-17-2001, 09:20 PM
KZ

Milori,

There are many early adopters on this forum - myself included. I currently have a SharpVision 96U (LCD) and a 120-inch 13:9 screen (1.2 gain). The Sharp's image breaks up beyond 85-90 inches, but I believe my screen is a factor in this. 1.2-gain may sound reasonable for a 600 ANSI Lumen projector, but the picture quality on a textured, white-painted drywall is significantly better. Pixels are less noticeable (but still there) and there is no center hotspot. However, the native resolution is "only" 640x480.

Although the Sharp is 3 years old, it is reasonably well productized in that it offers very good flexibility (decent zoom range, lens shift, component and VGA inputs, built-in de-interlacing for NTSC, very good color, good contrast, etc.). The Sharp has good lamp life and reasonable bulb cost (about $350).

These are the bad and good aspects.

Early adopters and aficionados accept the downsides and often have the financial means and technical skills to live comfortably with new technology.

Many people here are more interested in DLP/D-ILA than CRT projectors despite the CRT's reigning superiority in image quality. Different balances between quality, price, and flexibility appeal to different people.

In planning a replacement for my 96U, I am looking for a particular balance between quality, price, and flexibility. That balanced product, for me, is not yet on the market, but I am hoping to find a prototype at this year's Infocomm...

The attention Seleco has paid to productizing their new 13:9 DLP projector seems unprecedented! Flexible mounting options, variety of inputs, great optics, whisper quietness, sealed light path, a great throw-distance table, 6-segment color wheel, good lamp life, (possibly very little out-of-box recalibration), and even a choice of colors to complement your decor. Couple this projector to a 1280x1024 DLP in the future, keep the cost around $10K or less, and it becomes a very strong contender (for me). However, I am eager to see the 800x600 model and of course all new D-ILA or LCOS prototypes.

- KZ

P.S. I enjoyed browsing your HT website!
post #9 of 9 Old 05-17-2001, 09:34 PM

Hey Guys! I second everything that has been said above about seeing Dean's home theater; I'm now a proud owner of a JVC Dila. This inspired me to start a new thread:

"JVC Dila 1920X1080 projector for Dean McManis: Write to your representative!"
Closed Thread Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page