NEC's 2001 DLP Projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-17-2001, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The lt150, which is just now catching on, thanks in part to the persistence of Grant (NEC would be well-advised to hire the guy as a PR rep), was released in September, 2000. To Grant's credit, I have been extremely impressed with its performance (I went to the NY Home Theater show last weekend and saw 10K + projectors - including the Dwin and new Davis - with expensive scalers that couldn't outmatch NEC's "giant killer").

Anyone have any hints as to what NEC's next move will be this fall. Considering that the lt150 was just discounted, can we expect a new release shortly?

Perhaps an lt150 with less fan noise, zoom, longer bulb life, greater connectivity, increased lumens, maybe even 16:9 (though unlikely until 2002-03).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-17-2001, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
James,

Thanks for the feedback. My goal with my original posts wasn't to push NEC products but only to make people aware of an outstanding projector for HT use that had been largely bypassed because of perceived limitations - no zoom, short lamp life ect.

If NEC, Infocus etc. monitor this forum then they will become aware of your suggestions and act on them. I have read a number of posts by members that feel that their HT needs are better met by companies such as Seleco, Dwin, Marantz etc. It just ain't so! In my opinion the real market is with the presentation projector that excels at HT as well. Let's face it, if I can buy a good presentation projector for my business and take it home on the weekend and hook it to my progressive scan DVD player or watch HDTV on it and get a remarkable picture - THIS IS WHAT I WANT! This may seem scary to the HT crowd, but I really think this is where we are headed. Just look at the sales of the LP350 and 340 or the new Sanyos - projectors that kill two birds with one stone! There is a huge market here! How do I know - well I get lots of e-mails and this is what many are doing and there are a myriad of reasons to do it.

The LT150 proves that hybrids can really work. Now its time to give the HT crowd something with this kind of picture, but with more features at a price more people can afford - its going to happen, but who is going to step up to the plate first - NEC, Infocus, Sanyo, Sony?

I obviously have some biases - I love digital projectors, HTPCs etc. The best of these products (with the right software etc.) are marveleous, don't cost an arm and a leg and give someone with limited financial means a chance to have an outstanding HT! Instead of resenting your kids because you can't afford the Seleco projector you dream about - LOVE THEM and get one of these alternatives (you'll be very happy!)

Does the price cut indicate new product on the horizon? Probably, or NEC wants a larger share of the market.

Hey James, did you ever get the ISCO II and the HTPC? If so, how do they work?

Cheers,

Grant Smyth

post #3 of 3 Old 05-17-2001, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Grant, I never did get the HTPC and ISCO II, although I plan on doing so next month.

I was just joking about the NEC rep remark; I think everyone realizes that your comments about the lt150 have been motivated by a reverence for a product that, before you came along, had essentially been overlooked or dismissed by the "hardcore" HT crowd.

I gather by the lack of feedback to this post that NEC has yet to disclose its plans with respect to future models. We'll just have to wait-and-see.
Closed Thread Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page