Very impressed with Sony 10HT on Stewart GrayHawk - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 05-14-2001, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had a chance today to see the Sony 10HT on a Stewart GrayHawk at Stewart Filmscreen Corp. First off, I'd like to thank Don Stewart for inviting me up to the factory to get a look at the 10HT and also for his hospitality. There was nothing in it for Don, as I already have a GrayHawk screen installed. He's just happens to be one of the "nice guys" in this industry.

Don had the Sony hooked up to the interlaced output on a DVD player through the projector's S-video output, showing on a 96" x 54" GrayHawk screen. We spent some time looking at several scenes from "The Fifth Element." I must say that I was surprised at how good this projector looked, given the somewhat negative comments that I have read in some quarters. (Of course, these may be attributable to the projector not having been displayed to take advantage of its full capabilities.)

Anyway, the picture was bright, with truly excellent resolution , and the black levels seemed to me to be about as good as what I remember seeing on the Dwin Transvision when I had it for a few weeks. (It's clear that the GrayHawk really helps a lot here, as Don demonstrated by a comparison with other types of screen material.) And, of course, there was no "rainbow effect," which is a biggee for me. There was some pixelization if you got closer to the screen, but at a distance of 11 to 12 feet, you really had to struggle to make it out. When Don added the IMX Processor (a depixelization lens), it virtually disappeared. I am now seriously considering purchasing this projector, although I will probably have to buy a longer throw lens to put it where I want to in my room.

My final thought is that, at the price this projector is now going for, it is a real bargain. Perhaps some other projector options offer a little better picture, but at much greater cost, plus the sacrifice of the convenience of the Sony. Anyone who owns one of these babies certainly has nothing to apologize for.

[This message has been edited by smitty (edited 05-14-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-14-2001, 08:44 PM

Liked: 10
I am seriously considering this projector as well (or the updated 11HT due out in July - if the rumors are true!?). But I can't seem to find anyone in my area that has one to demo. So, it is of great interest to me to read your review of the 10HT with a grayhawk screen. Thanks for the info!!!

A couple of questions: How much does one of these IMX processors cost? Also, would you still consider buying the projector without the IMX?

Thanks!

kmartin
post #3 of 21 Old 05-14-2001, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You can find out more about the IMX Processor at cgns.com. It looks like they cost $895. And yes, I would consider the projector without the Processor, and I may have to, as I haven't been able to confirm yet that they make an IMX to fit the long throw lens I need to add to the 10HT. While the pixelization increased a bit without the IMX, it was really only noticeable to me in very bright scenes and I was looking for it. I don't think it would bother me if I was just watching a movie. On the other hand, the rainbow artifacts on DLP's are intolerable to me, to the point that I cannot enjoy the movie.

Bottom line, for me personally, I can't see paying 2 to 2.5 times as much as the 10HT for a DILA, with the necessary external scaler, calibration, and hushbox, especially since the money saved by buying the 10HT could probably buy the almost perfect projector 2 to 4 years from now given the way technology is advancing. To me, the difference in picture quality is not worth the extra cost and other issues, and the 10HT picture quality is surprisingly good when you see one that is set up right. The only real hesitation I have at this point is that (1) I need a longer throw lens, which is probably going to cost $1000+, and (2) I'm not sure whether to wait for the 11HT. Without those two issues, I probably buy one tomorrow, even without the IMX.

Of course, my analysis is influenced by my aversion to the rainbow artifact on DLP's. If you don't suffer from that, you should give serious considerations to the DLP's as well.

[This message has been edited by smitty (edited 05-15-2001).]
post #4 of 21 Old 05-14-2001, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Don is a great host. I hope he turned on the lights to show you how the Greyhawk looked in ambient.

Some benchmarks:

Used DILA = $4500 + Anamorphic lens = $1300 = $5800.

or if you are really cheap

Used DILA = $3600 (eBay) + Anamorphic lens ($600 prebuy) = $4200.

If you don't get a DILA I'd wait for the newer Sony.

------------------
Ken Elliott

[This message has been edited by kelliot (edited 05-15-2001).]

Ken Elliott
post #5 of 21 Old 05-15-2001, 12:41 AM

sstrich,

There's a discussion about the 11HT here.
post #6 of 21 Old 05-15-2001, 02:41 AM
AVS Special Member

post #7 of 21 Old 05-15-2001, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 37
For those that are waiting. The 11HT is scheduled for release in Japan in the July time frame so, plan on it being released to the U.S. not until October or November time frame.
post #8 of 21 Old 05-15-2001, 05:57 AM

Kmartin -

I see you are in Maryland. If you live on the PA side of the state you are welcome to visit me in Lancaster to view my 10HT (outfitted with a Buhl long throw lens) and Grayhawk combo. In my opinion, pixelation is hardly an issue when using the Grayhawk. Prior to using the Grayhawk, I did find the effect annoying on very bright scenes.

I have a question about the use of anamorphic lenses with 4:3 projectors. Does the lens have to be taken off the projector when viewing non-anamorphic material? It seems that this might be a major hassle in some installations. Otherwise the combination does seem like a good value. I love my 10HT, I'm just curious about what the others are doing...
post #9 of 21 Old 05-15-2001, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Smitty

I obsessed over projectors for about a year before I bought my HT10. I have absolutely no regrets about it. I knew I'd never get my theater done if I was distracted by the add-ons and tweaking required to get a DILA working properly, and I'm bothered by the DLP rainbow too.

I'm still projecting on the wall, so when I finally get my Grayhawk, it'll be like getting a whole new toy!

Pete

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #10 of 21 Old 05-15-2001, 08:35 AM

Ken,
for: Used DILA = $4500 + Anamorphic lens = $1300 = $5800.

Does that include a 3 yr warranty along wit 1st year shipping included?

Right now you can get a brand new 10HT w/Stewart Grayhawk screenwall for less than $5,800 plus a $300 rebate. And being new, you get a new bulb etc. You also don't need an add-on, anamorphic lens.

The DILA is a great product, but for the dollar, picture quality and ease of use and set-up, the 10HT is a great machine. When tweaked (can be done by anyone with a VE or Avia disk and the FAQ), it is an outstanding product. No I don't have stock in Sony. Just my 2 cents.
Dom
post #11 of 21 Old 05-15-2001, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 37
What was the cost of your Buhl long throw lens? I seen that it lists for $1,500.

Thanks.
post #12 of 21 Old 05-15-2001, 01:26 PM

jakermc -

Thanks for the invite! I may just take you up on the offer as I live only about 40 minutes from Lancaster. So, how long have you owned your 10HT? Where did you buy it? Any dead pixels, green fog, or dust blob issues? How much was the grayhawk and what screen size are you using (how far is the projector from the screen?)? Sorry for the 20 questions!!! Thanks.

kmartin
post #13 of 21 Old 05-15-2001, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
FYI: Dukane DILAs have 5 year warranties.

Paul

[This message has been edited by waterm3732 (edited 05-15-2001).]
post #14 of 21 Old 05-15-2001, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

jakermc, how do you like the Buhl long throw lens? What model number are you using, is it 357MCZ501? That is the lens I am considering to solve my throw problem. By the way, could you do me a favor and measure the outside diameter of the Buhl lens, as I am trying to figure out whether the IMX processor will fit over this lens, and this depends on the outside diameter of the main lens. Thanks.
post #15 of 21 Old 05-16-2001, 05:35 AM

I took delivery of the 10HT in January, the Grayhawk didn't arrive until sometime in February. I purchased a demo model with the Buhl long throw lens installed from a dealer I found on the net. They don't ordinarily sell over the net, just for demo/open box stuff.

The projector had about 250 hours on it when it arrived. No dead pixels. No dust blobs at this time. I had what I thought were two small dust blobs a while back, but they disappeared on their own after about 2 weeks. When the picture is muted (blank screen) there is a bit of a green fog problem, but it is not really noticable during ordinary use. Current clock time is about 525 hours.

Its hard to say what I paid for the Buhl lens since I bought it as part of a package that included the projector, a discount on the screen, and a promise to sell a replacement bulb at a significant discount. The dealer did tell me that he will usually sell a new Buhl lens to a customer who buys a projector for about $900. I am very happy with the lens. It allows me to project onto my 100" 16:9 Grayhawk from about 17 1/2 back. If I wanted to, I could go back as far as 30" and still project the same size image. I've never done a direct comparison of the Buhl to the stock Sony, but from what I can tell, the image appears at least as good as the Sony lens.

I'll check the model number and diameter of the lens tonight. I think Buhl only sells one lens for the 10HT, so it should be listed on their site.

Just shoot me an e-mail if you would like to drop by for a demo.
post #16 of 21 Old 05-16-2001, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

I mail ordered my 10HT last March from projectorpeople.com a day after seeing a demo at the annual Sony convention downtown in San Francisco. The HD demo looked fantastic! The guys didn't know what Stewart screen they were using though, which was odd. Arrived in good condition, didn't notice any dead pixels even when using it as a PC monitor with different color backgrounds (then again I don't have a proper screen nor read test procedures to scrutinize it yet - any tips on this?).
Which brings me to my question, how much is the street price of the Greyhawk 16x9? Where to buy?

[This message has been edited by JustinCheckin (edited 05-16-2001).]

Justin
post #17 of 21 Old 05-17-2001, 04:48 AM

Model number of the Buhl lens is #357mcz501

Diameter of lens is 2.75"
post #18 of 21 Old 05-17-2001, 05:05 AM

Justin, Check with Jason at this sight for a good price on the Grayhawk and GREAT service. Go to the store here to get his phone #

Scott
post #19 of 21 Old 05-17-2001, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

jakermc, thanks for the info. It's a big help.
post #20 of 21 Old 05-17-2001, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Eh, which sight is that again?

Quote:
Originally posted by scottyb:
Justin, Check with Jason at this sight for a good price on the Grayhawk and GREAT service. Go to the store here to get his phone #

Scott

------------------
Justin

Justin
post #21 of 21 Old 05-18-2001, 03:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 55
click the AV Science Store link at the top of this page

[This message has been edited by petew (edited 05-18-2001).]