oh please help me - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-16-2001, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would just like to start by saying that I *LOVE* this forum... credit to Alan, Dave, and the rest for making such a great place, and thanks to everyone who contributes to really make it what it is.

Now... my situation...

My wife and I are separating...
The bad news... she's keeping the Mitsubishi 46805.
Now I need to find a new display. I honestly don't know a ton about projectors, but I sure would love to have one.

What I want:

I want a display that is HD capable if possible (this is optional when it comes down to it)

I want something nice to watch DVD's on.

I would like a relatively large screen (the 46" got small on me really quickly, but I would also sacrifice size for quality in a heartbeat, if the difference were large enough)

I have total lighting control of the environment the display will be going in... it will be a relatively small room, most likely 18x13, or something of that nature.

I can get the 38" RCA HD direct view for under $1,500... (don't ask me where, I'm not allowed to tell you)

I could buy another Mitsubishi 46" for around $1,800...

Now, if I could get a comparable front projector, at a comparable price, I would love to do so... I would also be inclined to go a touch higher... say $2,200 or so, if I had to, but I would prefer not to. Separation is EXPENSIVE, and I'm not rich.

What do you guys think?
Do you know of a comparable front projector on the cheap?
Please let me know

I'm going to apologize in advance, because I'm going to post this in multiple topic groups, if that's bad etiquette, I'm sorry. You can remove them if so. : )

Thanks tons in advance for your help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-17-2001, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

How much are you willing to spend on a projector?

------------------
-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --
post #3 of 10 Old 05-17-2001, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, the situation as it is...

I can't really afford to go too much over budget (I'm only 21, and YES, it is a young age to be married, let alone separated, but those are the breaks, no?)

anyhow, $2,200 is just for the projector... that isn't factoring in a DVD player, she's keeping that too, and the Onkyo receiver.

What do I get? well... peaceful separation, and a stable friendly relationship for the sake of my 16 month old daughter. It's well worth it, losing a TV I really don't like anyhow... and some cheap components.

I didn't think I could find a DLP in that price range, that surprises me. Pleasantly, I might add. I've heard that they don't have quite the contrast ratio... but have a brighter image, (forgive me for being ignorant, that is what I'm trying to remedy with this post)

Anyhow, I will probably end up running an HTPC, or possibly a decent progressive scan player. I was also considering a cheap DVDO iScan, or something of that nature, for satellite viewing.

I really don't know what I'm doing here, so if I'm misguided, please correct me.

Thanks!!
post #4 of 10 Old 05-17-2001, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

I hope you got $$ because it sounds to me like you might have higher priorities right now than getting an expensive projector. Don't neglect your 16 month old so that daddy can have a big picture for dvds.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-17-2001, 07:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The Sony W400q is in the running. Should
be available for about $2k.
It's far from perfect (nothing at this price level
is) but I really enjoyed owning mine.

As PP mentions a Davis DL-450 DLP (or one of it's
six clones) will make a very fine DVD picture but
only with the addition of a HTPC. If you already
have a 550Mhz or faster PC you can add HT
capability to it for about $250. But the Davis is not
really suitable for HDTV.

The Plus UP-1100 DLP has a lot of supporters. Some
have found it for the price you are wanting to pay.
But to realize it's full potential you will need
to have it calibrated which will add several hundred
dollars more to your investment.

Bob Wood

[This message has been edited by RobertWood (edited 05-17-2001).]
post #6 of 10 Old 05-17-2001, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Hey Kid this is one of many places to buy used projectors and when you find one come back here for people oppinion and post questions or do a search on that projector. www.projectorcentral.com/used_projectors.cfm?bll=any&bul=any&wll=any&wul=any&prll=any &prul=any&res_family_id=any&trig=1

Hope this helps good luck
Hugo

[This message has been edited by Hugomed (edited 05-18-2001).]
post #7 of 10 Old 05-17-2001, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Well to be honest a $2200 budget is entry level but that is not as discouraging as it sounds...

In a totally light controlled environment a entry level FP unit can produce a good clear image better than most RPTV's I have ever seen (the light control will be vital at this price though)... You also need to think about are you trying to do this without a outboard scaler / video processor and if so the projector will probably blow the budget...

You may be able to find a Davis clone SVGA DLP or comparable XGA LCD projector for the 1.5k - 2K range (if you are lucky) used or ebayed but be very careful on what looks like bargains and do plenty or checking (here) on what is suitable for HT...

If you are separating you could consider letting her keep the DVD player (and you getting something in return) and putting some money onto a HTPC this is probably the highest quality progressive scan DVD player and scaler in one and can be done for about 1k if you keep the budget tight... Yes this does put your budget up but does more jobs in one package at one price and offers spectacular price performance benefits allowing you to buy a projector that has a poor internal scaler which can be cheaper...

Do plenty of research and you could be very pleased... My extremely budget setup consists of a SVGA DLP + homemade screen + HTPC... The setup is far better than any RPTV I have seen (not a lot to demo in Europe) and has the added value of a powerful PC for gaming etc...

Good luck

------------------
PhatPhreddy@Bigfoot.com
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater
post #8 of 10 Old 05-17-2001, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks much for all the replies, and help.

DigitalHorde... trust me, I'm not neglecting my daughter by any stretch of the imagination. Don't worry about that. I in fact, often get in trouble for spoiling her.

It's looking to me like CRT may be the route to go at this juncture... and wait until my home theater tastes have matured some before going into DLP.

Everyone needs their first CRT projector anyhow... don't they? I'm looking at probably the Sony 1270, NEC 6PG, and comparable. I would like to get a Runco, and honestly, a lot of the reason, is to be able to say I own a Runco. Shallow huh?

I still have a couple months before I make a decision... so I'll continue my education, and make an informed decision. I thank you all ever so much for helping.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-18-2001, 03:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

In that case here's something that might interest you.
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/007250.html
post #10 of 10 Old 05-18-2001, 04:20 AM
Advanced Member

if there is any way to fix your marriage your daughter would greatly benefit. Not trying to preach to you, but being older just something I have observed.

Good luck.

Chuck
Closed Thread Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page