Forum Jump: 

Old 05-18-2001, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi, there.

I am planning on getting a JVC G15 or equivalent to watch only HDTV and DVD's. I am assuming that HDTV will not require an external scaler, but that the DVD's would. Can you folks recommend a scaler for just this purpose?

Thanks (great forum, btw).

- Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2001, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Combine the functions of a DVD player and a scaler in an HTPC. Visit the Home Theater Computer Forum here to learn all about this idea. The bottom line is that your projector has a source setting of SXGA3 on Input Computer1. That source has a resolution of 1360x768. You can set up a HTPC to drive SXGA3 at exactly its native resolution. This produces the best possible DVD picture.

Cheers,

Bernd
Old 05-18-2001, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi, Bernd.

HTPC is a possibility, but I don't fancy myself building one (not my favorite pastime). What alternatives exist for the lazy (at least when it comes to PC hardware)?

- Marc
Old 05-18-2001, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

We are in the wrong forum but both AVScience (providing this fine forum) and www.DigitalConnection.com supply pre built and setup HTPC's... There are also a few custom builders etc.. Mail me if you want details...

In the Classifieds at the moment there is a 1.2 (or 1.4 cant remember precisely) speed demon of a machine looking for PJ trade or value and a really good deal on a RKR Video Callisto for only $800 (that's a PIII 800 well spec'ed and trusted machine) both of these you are benefiting enormously from PC resale values either would have been 2K plus only months ago....

------------------
PhatPhreddy@Bigfoot.com
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater
Old 05-18-2001, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Do what I did. Buy one. As Phat said, both AVS and DC sell them. My suggestion is - figure out what you would spend on a good DVD player ($500) and a good scaler ($1500), add them up and spend that on a HTPC. If you get it custom configured for your DILA (which either of the above vendors will do for you), you will have a simple solution that provides the best possible picture. Plug the HTPC into the VGA port on the projector (Computer 1). Plug your DBS system into Computer 2. Get an Airboard and an Pronto. Get the .ccf files for both here on this forum.

Cheers,

Bernd