sony ht10 placement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-20-2001, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The room in which the projector is to be installed is 6mtrs(20ft)in length and I am considering placing it on the back wall 2.2mtrs(7.5ft)from the ground and projecting onto a 3mtrs(10ft) screen which is mounted on the opposite wall(19ft away if you include the projector size)-(I havent worked out a height of the screen yet so I am open for suggestions)
My main seating position will be around 4.5mtrs(15ft) from the screen.

Should I - Go with this setup
- increase/decrease the screen size
- decrease the distance between the projector and the screen
- buy a new house with enough room to build a purpose built Home theatre thus making the bank very happy but also increasing the chance of my partner leaving me.....
any serious responses will be greatly appreciated

[This message has been edited by rain2001 (edited 05-20-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-20-2001, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'm not sure I understand what your dimensins are. If the projector is going to be mounted on the rear wall 20 feet back, and the screen is going to be mounted on the opposite wall, how can the screen be only 10 feet away? Alternatively, how can the seating position be 15 feet back if the screen is going to be 10 feet away from the projector and the projector is mounted on the rear wall? Maybe it's too early for me this morning, but are you sure you've given the correct dimensions?
post #3 of 6 Old 05-20-2001, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry about that
I have edited the original message so it makes a little bit more sense now.
....I hope...
post #4 of 6 Old 05-20-2001, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

If 10 feet is the length of your screen, and you're going to use a 16:9 screen, you're going to need a longer throw lens for the 10HT if the projector is going to be that far back. Also, if you go with a 16:9 screen, the height will obviously be determined by the length or vice-versa. At 15 feet back, you probably don't want to go much bigger than 10 feet wide, and even that might be pushing it a bit. I would say an 8 foot or 9 foot length screen is probably better. Also, can you mount the projector from the ceiling? If so, you could move it closer to the screen and maybe avoid the need for a longer throw lens.

In any event, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the room you are considering, so I would buy a new house only as a last resort. A longer throw lens ($800 - $1200) and a depixilization lens ($900) to remove the screen door effect if you use a really big screen are cheaper than a new house.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-20-2001, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your response
If mounting it from the ceiling is the best option then I will do that.
In your opinion what would be the best distance from the screen to mount it. The reason I asking is that I am about 3 weeks away from purchasing the projector so therefore any work that I can do beforehand will speed up the process of getting it setup.
thanks heaps

post #6 of 6 Old 05-20-2001, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

There is a program that calculates the proper throw distance for Sony projectors, including the 10HT. It allows you to change the screen size, etc., and to calculate what the minimum and maximum throw distances are for projector given a certain screen size. I think it's called "PJCalc!" If you do a search for this or in recent threads re the 10HT (i.e., within the past 30 days) in this forum, you should be able to find it. I seem to recall that for the 10HT the calculation reveals that the throw distance for an 8' wide, 16:9 screen ranges from about 11.5 to 13.5 feet.

If you replace the 10HT lens with the lens made for the Sony VPL400Q, which also fits the 10HT but with a small gap around the edges, this will give you a longer throw, and PJCalc will once again give you the throw calculation. I seem to recall that, for the same 8' wide screen, this allowed you to put the 10HT about 16' feet back or farther. If you use the other option for a longer throw for the 10HT (a lens made by Buhl Optical), this puts you back around 19' for the same size screen. You can get more information by calling Buhl Optical at the number on their site (buhloptical.com.)

You can also find a lot of useful info re the 10HT, and the longer throw lens options, on thebigpicturedvd.com. Go to the forum that they have specifically set up for the 10HT.
Closed Thread Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page