$5000 to spend; Buy Now or Wait? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-19-2001, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like an HDTV compatible projector (read at least XGA) for between $4-6000. I know I can look into the NEC, Sanyo, and Sony offerings right now, but I don't know what new projectors are coming down the line?

So my question is should I wait for some specific new models that will be out this year, or buy what is available now? I don't have any time scale defined, I would just like to stop watching my 27" sometime soon.

Thanks for the help.
-Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-19-2001, 12:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Pat

You should have no trouble finding a projector in your price range that will do everything you need.
There are plenty of digital projectors that fit the budget as well as crt. The price on b stock crts have fallen to an all time low and you will get better value for your dollar.

If you play the waiting game you will always be waiting because there is always something being announced.
Keep in mind none of the new projectors announced are in your price range. New/just released/latest models means more
mocho onos.

------------------
Alan Gouger
Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

[This message has been edited by Alan Gouger (edited 05-19-2001).]
post #3 of 11 Old 05-19-2001, 05:26 PM

I'm waiting until Christmas to see how the new DLPs turn out. The new models will be out by then (the ideal box doesn't exist yet) and that's as long as I'm willing to go without a TV. If nothing moves me then I'm getting a Sanyo 21N.

P.S. I posted the same question two weeks ago (Should I Wait). Try searching for it to read coming soon rumors...
post #4 of 11 Old 05-19-2001, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
see how the new DLPs turn out
Didn't the new DLPs just come out?

Mark Hunter
Technical Director, Home Theater Products
Datacolor, Inc.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-19-2001, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mark,

You are correct the new DLPs did come out but the Seleco's don't offer the bang for the buck that I would expect and they are out of the $5000 range.

I know SVGA isn't bad, but for $5000 I think someone should get a least XGA resolution.

I know that someone can easilly wait for ever but I think the push this year is more toward quality, price, and HT while last year it was all about size.

With that said, I don't think all of the new projectors will be in the $5000 price range either. The PLV-60 is close but delays have put it weeks off.

I personally am very interested in what Infocus has to offer in the bang for the buck category. Hopefully we will get a glance at Infocomm.

But the general statement, "if you wait you'll never be satisfied" argument is valid sometimes but other times not. The market is dropping fast enough that JVC couldn't make a profit on the G11 anymore. A used G10 last year at this time was much more than it is now. Same goes for every projector.

There is significant progress out there. An xga 2000 lumen LCD with a 600:1 contrast ratio didn't exist last year. And at a little over $5000 it can be had this year.

Pat,

My suggestion without knowing anymore about your needs is a directview Wega. A 32" or 36" XBR400. You'll get a reference quality image that will work in almost any room. I think their only downside is their weight. You can move it out of your HT room when the front projection devices become more main stream and even more affordable.

my two cents. You need to do a lot of research to find out what you really need/want.

If you can't wait, go for a 10HT or a Seleco HT200. I pick these only for their ease of use. I think their are other good options out there but they require an HTPC or an external processor or a hush box, etc.

Good luck,

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------
The Mothership is now boarding.

[This message has been edited by MrWigggles (edited 05-19-2001).]

The Mothership is now boarding.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-20-2001, 01:45 AM

This waiting thing is driving me nuts. Buy Infocus LP340 now or wait for Infocus HT? Maybe buy Infocus LP350. Wait, there's the powerbuy of Dukane Infocus LP350 clone. Arrrggghhh...

------------------
Walter

Walter
post #7 of 11 Old 05-20-2001, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I am waiting as well. I do not plan to wait forever. I like a few of the projectors I have seen. I am waiting for one thing, a firewire connection. As soon as I see that feature on say, a Sony model, I will buy.

------------------
Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-20-2001, 08:02 AM
KZ

Pat,

If a compelling product for you existed today -- and by that I mean an ideal combination of price, image quality, setup flexibility, noise, etc. -- you would probably not be asking your question and would have already made a purchase decision.

Front projectors on the market today that are designed for Home Theater -- as opposed to the ones designed for PowerPoint presentations -- appear not to have a compelling balance between the above qualities. Some excel at image quality at the expense of price, noise, or mounting flexibility. Others excel at mounting flexibility, noise, and price, but suffer from too low a resolution. Others excel at everything but price.

While you can "patch" the weaknesses of some projectors with hushboxes, paramorphic lenses, gray screens, and third-party calibration software, the sum cost of this becomes rather high. A well-balanced projector would be designed to be quiet, designed with a flexible lens or lenses, have very good native contrast, and provide Microsoft-like "wizards" for calibration. Early adopters demand the best image quality and have the skills and budgets to patch the weaknesses.

I will be replacing a 3-year old LCD projector; while I was a "mild" early-adopter, this time around I find myself demanding a more complete and balanced projector at a reasonable price. I am delaying my decision until attending Infocomm. If other manufacturers have paid as much attention to creating a balanced product as Seleco appears to have with their new DLP model, it should be a good year for the consumer! (Although I wish the Seleco had higher panel resolution.) For ease of setup, the Seleco even runs a long single cable from the projector to your gear where the cable terminates in an outboard box containing all of the input ports.

If there are no compelling (i.e. well-balanced) products at Infocomm, so be it...I will probably decide on a model that offers the next-best balance between the qualities I am looking for. But I will probably not spend too much because it will not be worth that much to me.

- KZ
post #9 of 11 Old 05-20-2001, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

If you're going DLP, IMO it is worth the wait for the next generation using 6 segment color wheels. Davis just announced theirs--you can expect several will be out by the end of the summer. Remember, you may not be rainbow sensitive but if you like to use your HT to entertain family or friends, chances are pretty good some of them will be. Supposedly the new color wheel will cure the problem.

I'm going to take a look at the new Davis and make the choice between it and the Sanyo XP21-N within the next 4 months. Don't feel the need to wait for 16:9 native as I will be getting my Panamorph shortly and will either be using it or watching 4:3 NTSC on digital cable. Watch so little broadcast TV anyway, don't really care about HDTV.

Dan

[This message has been edited by DanHouck (edited 05-20-2001).]

My HT is an oldie but goodie!
post #10 of 11 Old 05-20-2001, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great replies! I thought this was one of the more popular discussions.

Alan: I know what you mean about waiting or not. I bought a DVD player over 3 years ago now while a lot of people were going to wait for it to mature. I'm glad I didn't. But at the same time, I was going to buy a new TV back then as well and I glad I have waited because I may have not gotten an HDTV compatible set because of price. This is now my latest waiting game!

Red Brian: I think I am probably feeling about the same as you for time frame. But I can be very patient, so ya never know how long I might wait. Or not wait. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Mr Wiggles: Thanks for the comments. I also read about the Seleco and thought it sounded great until I saw the price. At this point, I will never buy a 4:3 set again so most of the Sony's are out of the picture. There is a new Panasonic 47" 16:9 that I am looking at, especially since it is supposed to retail for $1,995.

KZ: I think what you describe is exactly what everyone wants. Something that is easy to use, yet gives all the flexibility that the HT tweakers want. I don't mind messing around with stuff, but having to buy 3 or 4 different pieces from different companies just to get it to look right is too much hassle.

Thanks again everyone for your comments. So here is part of my dilema. I have this fairly large room with an old 27" TV in it where I watch mostly DVD. Within the next month or two, Panasonic is releasing a new 47" 16:9 HDTV compatible RPTV for retail of $1995. Do I go with that as a place holder until the (near) perfect $5000 projector comes out, or do I just wait and save the money and get a projector that is a little further off from perfect?

I don't have the most money to throw around, so the purchase will be one that has to last for years. Like 10 or something. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

So I am trying to find out as much information about what is out there now, and what is coming down the pipe. When, and what, is Infocomm? What can we expect to come out of there?

Thanks again,
-Pat
post #11 of 11 Old 05-21-2001, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm in a very similiar dilema, except I can afford to spend anywhere between 4-8k on a projector, but for that amount of money I want something thats's gonna give me an average price of at leat 1k a year and everytime I buy something, well I kick myself because something new comes out. Just got grin and bare it I guess.

I was lucky in the order, but I've always been lucky when it comes to killin' folk - Unforgiven cannot wait for the hd-dvd of this gem
Closed Thread Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page