DILA - Resize off makes a difference - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-16-2001, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had previously asked both how to turn Resize off when driving my SXGA3 input on Computer 1 with HTPC perfect timings, and whether doing so would effect picture quality.

The one detail in my configuration that is different from many of you is that I am not running the latest NVIDIA drivers, nor am I running PowerStrip. I am simply using the bundled PowerStrip functionality that came with my Elsa Gladia GeForce GTS card last fall.

The impact of this might be that I am probably not using the perfect timings as "perfectly" as some of you. For example, my refresh rate is listed as 72HZ, not 71.xx HZ.

So, with that caveat out of the way, I forced the source to be VGA1 while the HTPC was on. This made my screen look like garbage, but allowed me to use the projector remote control to turn resize off.

The effect was that the very subtle vertical banding that I used to see in Disney splash screens (the whole screen is light blue with a white castle imposed upon it) is gone. There is a noticable difference in PQ in my configuration with Resize set to be off.

Now, maybe all of this is because I am too lazy to get the new drivers, download PowerStip, get the beta, and reconfigure everything, but it has made a difference in my configuration.

Cheers,

Bernd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2001, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I also dont really understand what you're doing here, Bernd. Are you actually feeding a 640x480 (ie. VGA) resolution to the D-ILA? If so, isnt turning Resize Off going to give you a fairly tiny image in the center of the screen?

Better to feed an SXGA source and turn the projector to SXGA1 or SXGA2.

Andy K.
Old 05-16-2001, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My goal was to find out if turning resize off would make any difference when feeding the perfect 1360x768 72hz timings to input SXGA3 on Computer 1.

I apologize for any confusion in the original post. My comment about the VGA was only to indicate that this is how I was able to turn it off (how to get around the fact that it was greyed out).

It did not change the size of the image on the screen at all. It simply removed a very subtle vertical banding effect which I noticed when the entire screen was a single light color (like the light blue in the Disney intro screens).

Again, let me emphasize that what I am seeing might be a function of my using the Elsa Winman suite to implement the perfect timings instead of Powerstrip.

Cheers,

Bernd
Old 05-16-2001, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Bernd,

Do yourself a huge favor and get Powerstrip and a new set of drivers. Unless you have reason to not watch DVDs in pixel perfect form. It's really not much work to install and set up. To me, that's half the fun in owning a HTPC. Many of the drivers are very stable, contrary to what you might think. I still use the old Nvidia 649 drivers and they work great.

Chris

My Home Theater is a work in progress.
Old 05-16-2001, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok, I'm starting to be game for the driver and graphics utility switch. I looked at both the Elsa and Nvidia sites and found 650 drivers for Windows 98. I am assuming that these drivers plus PowerStrip 3.0 beta is what I need. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance,

Bernd
Old 05-16-2001, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Bernd, are you saying that you were able to get the (greyed out) Resize option to change for SXGA3 by switching to another mode (in this case VGA), changing it, and switching back?

Odd... I would have expected that to make any difference. I suspect its an OSD bug. But maybe you're on to something...

Andy K.
Old 05-16-2001, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Bernd,

What did that do to the size of your image? Everything I've been able to turn off resize in has shrunk the image to the point of being too small, even with widest zoom.

I've heard everyone talking about banding, but I can honestly say I've never seen it on my G11. I really don't know what it is. Do you actually see vertical bands top to bottom all across the screen?

Chris

Old 05-17-2001, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Andy, I decided that I wanted to see the impact of having Resize off upon SXGA3. Since it was greyed out and stuck on in SXGA3, I simply used the DILA remote to switch the input source to VGA1 (while it was still being fed 1360x768 by the HTPC). This caused my screen to unsych, but it did allow me to set Resize to be off. When I set the source back to auto, the projector resyched in SXGA3 (as it should), and resize was still set to off.

Hope this helps explain what I did.

Cheers,

Bernd
Old 05-17-2001, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Chris,

I only every use one resolution when watching DVD's in my theater, and it is 1360x768 on SXGA3. What I observed is once I went to VGA1 to turn resize Off, it improved the image in SXGA3. The effect was a lot like tracking where some subtle vertical banding just went away. It was like things were off by one pixel in a couple of columns and turning resize off fixed this.

Cheers,

Bernd
Old 05-17-2001, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Bernd,

What are you using to get 1360 x 768? In my sxga3 1360 x 768 through Powerstrip, I can't see a difference at all with resize off(greyed).

Maybe it's because of the "perfect timings" the come with Pstrip. What is your tracking? It should be near 23 or 24.

Chris

Old 05-17-2001, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Chris,

The Elsa Gladiac GTS which came with my HTPC came bundled with a private label version of Powerstrip. So, I was able to implement the perfect timings to a certain degree, since the version of PowerStrip that I have predates PS 3.0. The bottom line is that I have the image size stuff, front and back porches, set up perfectly, and have the refresh rates very close to the perfect timings. The only glaring difference is that my vertical refresh is exactly 72hz not 71.XX HZ as recommended by the perfect timings.

Cheers,

Bernd
Old 05-17-2001, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Andy,

I'm going to take a stab at this.

If you're sending the native res to the Pj, resize will not be an option. Yes, it may say "off", but it is greyed out. The Pj is not resizing the image. I too can go to vga1(640 x 480), change resize, go back to sxga3 and see that it's off, but greyed out.

FWIW, changing resize in vga1 does indeed improve the image. It almost looks like a tracking thing. I tried to adjust tracking with resize on in vga1, but couldn't get the same clean image as I had with resize off(in vga1). Kind of a moot point though, as I never view anything in vga1 but my desktop. I have Powerstrip hotkeys that switch from 640 x 480(vga1) to 1360 x 768 or 1024(sxga3). Those hotkeys are also part of my Pronto and Dilard macros that turn on the G11 and engage a DVD. Way cool. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Bernd, the 650 drivers will work fine. You can experiment with others after you get the 650s working. Some use the newest Detonator 12s, but I haven't tried these. Yes to the Pstrip 3.

Chris

Old 05-19-2001, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I noticed that when I use a powerstrip shortcut to switch to a 1365x768 desktop, the tracking and phase are not right. Switching sources forces a resync that fixes this. Selecting the 1360x768 from the custom screen manually also forces a resync tha fixes this. I think your setting the vga to off is a red herring and the forcing of a resync is what fixes your tracking and phase.
Old 05-20-2001, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Karos, I am not using PowerStrip, and I never switch resolutions while on Computer 1. I have a Elsa Gladiac GTS which came with a bundled subset of PowerStrip. I have set my desktop up at 1360x768 per the "perfect timings" and it stays that way. In other words SXGA3 set up for 1360x768 is the only input/resolution that I ever use on Computer 1. Therefore, I think, it is unlikely that an interaction between PS and projector sync'ing is causing what I saw.

Cheers,

Bernd
Old 05-21-2001, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

karos,

I use the Pstrip shortcuts all the time and never have noticed this. In fact, the shortcuts are the only thing I use to change resolutions. You said you use a 1365 x 768 shortcut? Why 1365 instead of 1360?

Chris