I'm looking for opinions of best projector for DVD and HDTV viewing - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-18-2001, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My price range for the projector I'm figuring on a high of 8,000 and if possible something in the 4-5 k range. I would also like to know with the recomendations if I should purchase a line doubler or scaler. Oh and I have a DTC-1000, and a Pioneer elite DV-37, Marantz LD I want to hook up directly to the unti via Component, Svideo and 15 pin connector. So if a need a DVDio for that I'd like to know.

As for some reason I want to run audio capbles to my receiver and not use the receiver for any video functions at all with the exception of a super cheap rca hookup for setup etc...(but i have a small tv for that if needed)

I was lucky in the order, but I've always been lucky when it comes to killin' folk - Unforgiven cannot wait for the hd-dvd of this gem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2001, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

anyone care to venture an opinion?

I was lucky in the order, but I've always been lucky when it comes to killin' folk - Unforgiven cannot wait for the hd-dvd of this gem
Old 05-21-2001, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I like the sony 10HT.
I haven't seen a Dila so I can't comment on one. But for me, I wouldn't consider one because I don't want to deal with the noise, the price, having to use a PC or having to send it to someone to properly calibrate it.
The 10HT has 16:9 panels and can be calibrated yourself with avia and info from various sites on the net.
I will say I am not as picky as some and the 10HT when set up properly looks very good. It is quiet, easy to use, easy to set up and a good buy.
I haven't had the opportunity to see the 10HT on a greyhawk yet but I was impressed on a standard white screen, so I assume I will be even more impressed with the greyhawk.
I am setting up a system for a friend using the 10HT and greyhawk. The 10HT as arrived but we are still waiting on the greyhawk to come in. I can offer a better opinion in a week or two.
Old 05-21-2001, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Great! I'm anxious to know since its nearly impossible to demo any of these units myself. Most places only carry a couple of projectors since they try to move RPTV's and Plasma.

Old 05-21-2001, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Hank,

A couple of questions.

1) How big is your screen going to be?

2) Where is the projector going to be? In the room with you, or behind a wall?

3) Is this going to be an ongoing hobby for you, or are you interested in plugging it together and using it?

4) Where are you on the tradeoff of doing some work and experimentation in order to get a better picture?

5) Are you PC literate? Can you install new software on a PC?

If you are going large screen (>100" diagonal), and you want to have a hobby, and you can hide the projector behind a wall or in a hushbox, and you are PC literate, then ...

The best thing for you is a JVC G11, calibrated by AVS, driven by a HTPC (combines a DVD player and a scaler into one unit).

The reason for this is that if you go large screen, and want to sit close, you will see the screen door effect of the Sony. You will get a much better picture out of a DILA (JVC) projector. However to get that picture for DVD playback, you will need to use a HTPC to drive the SXGA3 input of the projector at 1360x768p (the HTPC scales the 720x480i to the 1360x768p).

You can get a HTPC by building one, or buying one from AVS or Digital Connection.

Cheers,

Bernd
Old 05-21-2001, 12:44 PM

The new DLPs coming out will have 6 segment color wheels, which will banish the "rainbow" effect that has bothered so many people. The ones I saw at the the NYC HE show last weekend were fine in this regard. The Davis was even real quiet.

I say wait for the new 6 segment color wheel DLPS which will be small, light, and quiet. They will be a snap to install, and won't need the setup that DILAs need, and don't have the screen door and dead pixels of LCD.

I suspect that even the inexpensive DLPs will move to 6 segment color wheels, so hitting your price point may not be difficult in the near future.

-Tom
Old 05-21-2001, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

just got a cheap solution from Aln the Nec 6pg+. But in a couple years I'm going to replace it.