Poor DILA image on DirecTivo - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-19-2001, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
<FONT face="Arial">Text</FONT f><FONT COLOR="Black">Text</FONT c><FONT COLOR="White">Text</FONT c><FONT COLOR="Yellow">Text</FONT c>

I have a new calibrated G15 and am very pleased with it on even interlaced DVD playback from the S input, altho I plan to add a scaler or HTPC shortly. But it is horrible on the same S input from my DirecTivo receiver. The DirecTivo looks very good with an old 50" crt Mitsu front projector (all-in-one) so I am thinking that maybe it's just that the increased screen size with the G15(about 90") shows up defects more, but it is essentially unwatchable - lacks detail and excessive ringing on trailing edges even when sharpness is turned down. Is this normal for DirecTivo - I'm thinking of keeping my old Mits just to view satellite as it looks so much better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-19-2001, 06:03 AM

I came to the same conclusion regarding Directv with a DILA. Directv needs to compress the signals significantly in order to fit so many channels into the allotted bandwidth. You are seeing the consequence of that-lots of MPEG artifacts, and reduced resolution. I keep my old 1984 Mits 45" RPTV alive for casual TV viewing, and only use my projector for DVD movies and HDTV.

If you have Dilard, you might try and make a modification which shrinks the DTV image into a 50" area in the center of your large screen.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-19-2001, 07:23 AM
PAP
AVS Special Member

I don't have a DILA, but it shouldn't really matter in that any projector is more resolution than these mini-dishes can throw out (HDTV excluded).

However, have you tried comparing different channels? Dish and DirecttV compress different channels different amounts. I have found watching HBO for example is tolerable, while watching some channels like HGTV can be very poor. Try watching a PPV movie (usually the best quality) and see if you see a problem with it.

I regularly watch DISH tv on my 8 foot wide screen and it's not DVD quality obviously, but very watchable. "soft" is the word I would use to describe it. I'm surprised you can watch anything without a scaler however.

Good luck.

------------------
Lex MC1/Sunfire CG/Hales Rev3's x3/M&K SS150 tripoles/Quadscan/Plus UP1100/Homemade screen

Good, cheap, easy - pick any two.
post #4 of 7 Old 05-19-2001, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Thorrall,
Try watching the Sopranos to see if your image responds to a higher bit rate. The Directv channels vary quite a bit. Have you tried a scaler? There is a certain amout of truth to "garbage in garbage out" but you can getter a better variety of garbaage with the right scaler. Art
post #5 of 7 Old 05-19-2001, 05:01 PM
PAP
AVS Special Member

Heck, any excuse to watch the Sopranos http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Actually, I have personally noticed a lot of "ringing" (focused moire-type shining circular halos around bright objects) on the Sopranos. I've not seen this on most other DISH programming. It gets really annoying at times.

Great show though - and season finale tomorrow night!

------------------
Lex MC1/Sunfire CG/Hales Rev3's x3/M&K SS150 tripoles/Quadscan/Plus UP1100/Homemade screen

Good, cheap, easy - pick any two.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-21-2001, 01:23 PM

Believe it or not, the consensus over at *************** is that you get a better picture from Tivo using composite, rather than s-video. My personal experience is that they're about the same -- which suggests there's something funky about Tivo's s-video, since it should be noticeably better than composite.

I have another reason to believe there's something Tivo's not telling us about its s-video. I recently purchased a s-video -&gt; component decoder so that I could attenuate red push. Although all of my components (including the decoder), cables etc., worked fine otherwise, when I ran the Tivo s-video feed through the decoder, the result was black and white.

I posted some questions over at the Tivo Forum and got a lot of condescending responses that my cables were bad or there was some other problem, but "it couldn't possibly be Tivo." At the recent HE show in NYC I had a chance to speak with one of the pre-eminent, legendary HDTV engineers, who now runs his own company. He told me that the problem most probably was that Tivo's s-video signal was non-standard (i.e., outside the scope of accepted range limits). Since all evidence on my end points to the problem being Tivo's s-video signal, I think his hypothesis is plausible. And, it could also explain why your Tivo s-video signal looks so bad (in addition, of course, to DSS' GIGO problem).

Just my 2 cents.

------------------
Jamie

Jamie
post #7 of 7 Old 05-21-2001, 01:54 PM

I have a Dish Network System with two receivers, one of which is the HD 6000 HDTV unit. In HDTV 1080I mode, the picture on HBO (best) and Showtime is spectacular, using the component out. I have to agree however, the small dish video compression (SDTV) results in a pretty poor image when blown up in size. I am using a G11 D-ILA, 100" 3X4 screen and a Crystal Image (CI) scaler. Although the CI does a pretty good job on DVD’s it’s really can’t handle low res inputs very well. It produces a real soft and contrasty picture. The upconverted SDTV dish signal actually looks better when not run through the CI. I also have a large dish "C" band system, and because the analog (and even the digital channels) start off with a good resolution, it looks better than the small dish. I rented a movie from DISH and the image was somewhat better but I was still disappointed over all.

I will purchasing an HTPC within the next week with a TV/Tuner card installed. I’ll have to see if the satellite s-video input through the computer looks is any better.

Don
Closed Thread Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page