LCD Panels in Sanyo PLV60-10HTs or 11HTs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 05-28-2001, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is just speculation and to raise the question. Sanyo is getting the 16:9 LCD panels for its PLV60 from Sony, which has just started selling those panels to outside companies. Since Sony has previously refused to sell 16:9 LCD panels, isn't it possible that Sony is selling 10HT panels to Sanyo and others, and keeping the new 11HT panels to itself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-28-2001, 08:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

actually maybe they are all using the same panel...I really know the anser to that question...
post #3 of 19 Old 05-28-2001, 10:16 AM

Did any manufacturer actually want that panel..http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
Paul O'Hale
Your lies are like bananas,they're yellow and come in big bunches!
Leslie Neilson,Wrongfully accused
www.mcgahon-oneill.com

[This message has been edited by Paul O'Hale (edited 05-28-2001).]

This message has been formatted to fit your primitive screen
post #4 of 19 Old 05-28-2001, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The 11HT panels are brand new. They are not the same as the 10HT panels. This kind of behavior would be consistent with Sony. Sony is the only large Japanese company I know of that adamantly refuses to build OEM products. For years a certain gentleman on the West Coast in the high end proj business pleaded with Sony to OEM CRT projs for his company to no avail. His initials are SR.
post #5 of 19 Old 05-28-2001, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
robert: sharp and nec are two more manufacture companies of lcd projectors with no oem business.

best regards

------------------
Patrick Schappert
www.grobi.tv

Patrick Schappert
www.grobi.tv
post #6 of 19 Old 05-28-2001, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I wasn't refering specifically to LCD projs. Sony will not OEM ANY of its products at all. I do not know, but while NEC and Sharp may not OEM their LCD projs, they may OEM other products that they make. Sony OEMs absolutely nothing.
post #7 of 19 Old 05-28-2001, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Actually Sony *does* OEM some stuff, a lot of workstation monitors use Sony CRT's. For example, almost all of the Sun Microsystems line of monitors are OEM Sony CRTs in custom cases and some (all?) new electronics. HP also OEM'ed Sony CRTs, I not sure if they still do though.

Other than their Trinitron CRT's being sold exclusively with those workstations, I think you're probably right about Sony not OEM'ing anything.

Regards,

Kam Fung
post #8 of 19 Old 05-28-2001, 10:52 PM

I think the information about the NEC and Sharp LCD projectors are not correct. In fact the NEC VT540/440 are using the Epson Dream LCD panel rahter than their own development.

The situation is similar in the case of Sahrp LCD projector.

post #9 of 19 Old 05-28-2001, 11:00 PM

Here is the information about the LCD panel in the NEC VT540. A 3x 0.9" Epson XGA PolySi LCD panels. You can check it out here. http://www.presentations.com/techno/..._pr_great.html

post #10 of 19 Old 05-29-2001, 12:19 AM

@tsunami gizmo: the definition of oem business is "giving the whole unit / housing" to other partners. not only the engine. maybe you don`t know, that there are only 2 producer of polysilicon panels in the markes: epson and sony.

best regards

------------------
Patrick Schappert
www.grobi.tv

Patrick Schappert
www.grobi.tv
post #11 of 19 Old 05-29-2001, 12:30 AM

chappie:
What you are telling me is exactly I already knew.
That's exactly is the reason why NEc and Sarp don't OEM to other manufacturers because they are building up the machine from LCD panels from Epson. Does it make sense to have OEM from Epson or from NEC/Sharp if the LCD panels are in fact Epson? Just a query.

------------------

post #12 of 19 Old 05-29-2001, 05:39 AM

@tsunami gizmo: sorry, thats daily business. nearly everybody is oem partner or supplier ;-) look to hitachi or sanyo. working with panels from sony or epson or both an offering the products under there own brand plus serveral oem brands.

best regards

------------------
Patrick Schappert
www.grobi.tv

Patrick Schappert
www.grobi.tv
post #13 of 19 Old 05-29-2001, 06:02 AM

The Digital Projection 3 chip dlp Hi-Lite series is oemed from NEC
post #14 of 19 Old 05-29-2001, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I think they'd have to be the newer panels in order to achieve the stated contrast ratio. Based on reviews over at the Big Picture I would conclude the Sanyo is using the same panels as the 11 HT. Other than that, the Sanyo and Sony are different in other ways, such as brightness.

Dan

My HT is an oldie but goodie!
post #15 of 19 Old 05-29-2001, 07:01 AM
cai
Advanced Member

The original question was whether Sanyo was getting old Sony 10HT chips rather than the new 11HT. Does someone have this information?

------------------
cai

Thank you,

cai
post #16 of 19 Old 05-29-2001, 11:34 AM

What would REALLY be nice is if the Sanyo software could be loaded into a 10HT to get at least part of the contrast improvement... Does the 10HT have any kind of "software/firmware update" capability? I would expect that there would also be changes to the lightpath optics, which wouldn't be transferable, but...
The 10ht at ~$3K would make me think hard about buying, especially if contrast can be improved! Call me an ever-hopeful cheapskate!
post #17 of 19 Old 05-29-2001, 03:33 PM

Ok, I had to actually register here and ask a question:

Where can you get a Sony PVL-VW10HT for anything less than $4,500? I've read the reveiws and done the math and think this one would be the best one for my needs right now (yeah like anything over a 32" is a need).

I've seen a few yahoo shops selling this for $5,000 or so and seen them on Ebay for $4,500 but wondered if there is any way to get this any cheaper. Any info or advice would be appreciated.
post #18 of 19 Old 05-29-2001, 03:51 PM

Loco/bbordner,

I posted something on this topic a few weeks ago, but I guess no one here picked up on it. Anyway, there is no way software can help with the absolute on/off contrast ratio developed by LCD optical engines. The panel's bias voltages are usually set for minimum and maximum twist capability and no additional amount of bias or scan rate will drive the panel further into on or off states.

The major contrast factors in an LCD engine are the effectiveness of the polarizing plates (pre & post panel) and the particular properties of the TN "gel" in the twist layer of the panels. Flyeye integrators also detract from contrast as the lamp beam, although it may be more uniform, is not as collated as it could be from light developed by a well designed lamp/reflector assembly, particularly given the short distance from the light source to the panels found in these compact projectors.

The info I have to date indicates the panels in the new Sanyo's high contrast units (both Epson & Sony panels) have a different formula in the gel [and maybe a different twist ratio 270 vs 90] and they use new, highly effective pre & post panel polarizing plates.

Software adjustments or bias level tweaking usually yield marginal improvements in LCDs unless the units were not adjusted properly from the factory.

However, it is theoretically possible that installing more effective primary polarizing plates can make a difference in absolute contrast ratios on existing LCD projectors [but probably at the expense of some brightness].

It sounds like the info from the Sony tech is a typical misinformation response to a competitor's early edge

Thumper

post #19 of 19 Old 05-29-2001, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Even if one assumes that the 11HT panels are better, given Sony's moronic decision to sell the 11HT only thru CIS dealers, which essentially means at or near list, the Sanyo, which will be discounted, will be the better bargain by far. Unless, of course, the 11HT ends up being the Holy Grail of digital projs that bests CRT projs in every way, an unlikely prospect.
Closed Thread Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page