I've been scouring these (and other) boards for weeks, reading reviews, comments, etc. I've narrowed my search and I'm considering Sanyo's both after trying out the NEC LT150 and finding it lacking for my situation. I'd like to pay no more than ~$6,500 and don't want to go the D-ILA route due to cost, setup, noise, etc. I'd appreciate any insights as to whether to go with the XP21N or the PLV60. Here's my specifics:
1. I'll be setting up the projector in my family room which has a fair amount of ambient light (thus the inadequacy of the LT150). Moreover, even at night, I prefer to have a light or two on.
2. My screen size will be 100" max. or less.
3. Proportionately, I watch a lot of DSS and OTA HDTV. Some of it is 16:9 (e.g., HBOH), but a lot of it is 4:3, so the native 16:9 of the PLV60, while nice, is not an overriding factor.
4. For DVD's I'll be using a Tosh SD6200 progressive scan player. For DSS I can (depending upon the quality of the internal doubler) use my iScan Pro.
5. Brightness, contrast, vivid colors and sharpness of the picture of most concern to me. I can live with a little screen door (my eyesight's not that great anyway!).
6. I'm happy to buy or build a grey screen, but would prefer not to purchase an external scaler (I've got the progressive scan DVD player and the iScan) or an HTPC.
7. I've got quotes which make the price differential between the two units insignificant.
Any thoughts, comments, (gulp) criticisms or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.