Which LCD to buy..Sony 10/11HT or Sanyo? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-30-2001, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like things are just now getting intersting for those of us in the market for our first LCD!

I was GOING to buy a Sony 10HT..seems there's a LOT of them out there, and people by and large love them - decent picture, lots of info available, etc..

THEN, Sony announces the 11HT (which we still don't seem to know much about, all of the various threads discussing this aside) and Sanyo comes out with the PVL-60 (or whatever it's called!) 16:9 native LCD..

So, the question becomes..for a newbie, who is not interested in 'tweaking to the max', which of the three would you buy? $4,700'ish (less $300 rebate) for the 10HT seems like a very good price for a "first" LCD projector, and I'm not sure the extra $2K for the Sanyo, or extra $3K for the 11HT is "worth it" for a relatively small incremental gain.

Anyone have an opinon on this? Plz let me know - want to buy in the next 30 days or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-30-2001, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
When you figure out the answer, let me know. Seriously, I'm in the same boat. One thing to be aware of is the throw distance issue, i.e., make sure you can put the projector where you want to put it. The Sony seems to have a shorter throw than the Sanyo, and preliminary indications are that the actual throw for the Sanyo is not as long as the specs indicate. If you have to buy a longer throw lens to put the Sony where you want, but not the Sanyo, this can change the calculus.

As far as picture quality, it appears that the Sanyo will give a brighter picture with more contrast. Whether it is worth the extra $1500 to $2000 is an individual judgment. I would tend to think it would be, but at the same time, the 10HT is a pretty good bargain as well. I still may go with the 10HT and figure on getting the "ultimate projector" when it is available for $5K two years from now.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-30-2001, 04:56 PM

I have just bought the Sanyo PLC-XP21N which has 2500 Ansi lumens and a 700:1 contrast ratio!! it is a LCD projector with Micro lens array(MLA). The colors on it look great and the blacks look very good. You can get it for under $6K now.
post #4 of 11 Old 05-30-2001, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Projector Depot has the PLV60 for $6500. The llHT will not be sold for less than list, $8 grand, for a long time, at least 6 months.

The 10HT just doesn't cut it when it comes to contrast and black level. IMO it's not worth the nearly $5 grand it's selling for. If you could get one for, say, $3 grand, that's another matter.

When it comes to LCD at this point in time, the choice would seem to be Sanyo, either the XP21N for around 6 grand, the XP18N for a grand less, or the PLV60.

There's a test of the PLV60 underway at the Big Picture Forum.
http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/

Dan Houck

My HT is an oldie but goodie!
post #5 of 11 Old 05-30-2001, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanx for the replies..

I've read that the Sanyo PLV-60 has lots of motion artifacts with DVD sources (even on Progressive Scan?)

Anyone else hear this? I'd prefer the slightly "softer" colors of the 10HT over the jaggies/artifacting that the Sanyo reportedly has. Just a personal preference!
post #6 of 11 Old 05-30-2001, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

That's why I'm awaiting Jeff's review over at the Big Picture. He's testing specifically for that problem. According to a post he left today, he will post his review on Friday.

Most people seem to be using external scalers with the Sanyo projectors. But then I've heard that if you use the component ins with a progressive scan, it does much better.

I think we'll just have to wait for more reports on these Sanyos to get a better idea.

If you can live with the black level of the 10HT, I say go for it. But shop 'til you drop because the price is going to be going down quickly with the intro of the 11HT. For example, AVS just sold a new one for $3800, according to the classified.

Dan

My HT is an oldie but goodie!
post #7 of 11 Old 05-30-2001, 08:47 PM

The lowest price on the 10HT that I have seen from a legitimate Sony authorized dealer is $4200. (Actually $4500-$300 rebate).

Assuming all the speculation is correct:

1) The 11HT will sell for close to list ($7999). Is it really going to be worth nearly twice what you can buy the 10HT for? I am looking forward to reviews comparing an OPTIMALLY calibrated 10HT to an OPTIMALLY calibrated 11HT, using a Stewart Greyhawk or Dalite grey Da-Mat screen. Is it possible that the 11HT will have a picture quality that makes it worth almost $4000 more?

2) The reviews on the Sanyo PLV-60 are starting to appear. It looks like the best prices so far are $6000-$6300. Is it going to be worth $2000 more than an optimally calibrated 10HT using a Greyhawk or Da-mat screen? Remains to be seen.

I agree with Smitty's post. Its probably worth buying a 10HT for about $4K, and trading up when the "ultimate" LCD (or DLP) projector becomes available for <5K in the next year or two (or sooner). Unless, of course, money is no object...

pkurtis
post #8 of 11 Old 05-31-2001, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

From everything I'd read (prior to the Sanyo & 11HT announcements), people seemed pretty darned happy with their 10HTs - even WITHOUT Stewart Greyhawk or Da-Lite HC grey screens.

Now, all of a sudden, many of these same people are coming out with less than glowing comments on the 10HT..

Kinda makes ya wonder as to the motivations. Net net for me - $2K is a pretty significant difference (Sanyo PLV-60 over 10HT), and I'd have to see one whale of a picture improvement to fork over this much extra $$s. And $4K for the 11HT? Fuhgetaboutit. Not unless there is a VERY, *VERY* compelling difference.

I really think Sony's going to find out quickly that their "sell through specialty dealers ONLY" is gonna backfire, as people grab up the 10HTs from discounters and go with the Sanyo as a somewhat-more-reasonably-priced alternative..
post #9 of 11 Old 05-31-2001, 05:04 AM

Just received my June issue of Japanese Magazine on Home Theater, the "HiVi".

Inside you can find a very comprehensive coverage of the coming Sony VW11HT. Briefly the VW11HT has the exact look of the 10HT. According Japan Sony Officials they say that the 11HT has improved black performance. The Specs are:
1. A 3 x 1.35" 1366 x 768 16:9 LCD panels with total pixels count of around 315 millions.
2. Light output of 1000 ANSI lumens at 16:9 signal and 750 ANSI lumens at 4:3 mode.
3. Of course the similar stuffs from VW10HT including DRC-MF, 3D comb filter etc...BUT with 2-3 pull down conversion.
4. A 200W UHP lamp with normal life span of 2000hrs which can extended to 3000hrs in econ mode ie. Cinema Black mode.
5. Fan noise of 34dB (normal), and 30dB (Cinema Black).
6. Still no 15 pins VGA input connector. Only 2 sets of 5 RCA connectors for RGB/Component inputs.
7. No mention on the contrast ratio, no matter ANSI or full on & off.
*. Date of debut in Japan, 1-7-2001. No confirmed information about the price in Japan.

For my impression, not much difference from the VW10HT technically. even the case look 99% similar. The projected image has better black than the VW10HT for sure. BUT can you say that's a huge improvement or not. I can't tell because there are too many, currrent or upcoming, projectors with better specs and of course very good video performance.

I don't think Sony hasn't listened to their customers' opinions. Really a disappointment for me.

post #10 of 11 Old 05-31-2001, 05:14 AM

BTw sorry fro mis typing. I really mean Sony hasn't listened to their customers.

Also in the same magazine, there is new screen from Japan manufacturer Kikuchi. A new Kikuchi 16:9 screen grey screen with only 0.8 gain. Possibly a strong competitor to Grayhawk. The suggested price is 105800 yen for a 90" 16:9 manual pull down screen. A possible cooperation between Sony and Kikuchi. I guess.

post #11 of 11 Old 05-31-2001, 07:51 AM
Pip

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
jstolzen:
Where have you read about the PLV Motion artifacts?
Pip
Closed Thread Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page