VT540 Problems and Lamp Mode - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 05-31-2001, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Gulp! So I really like* this projector. I am seeing some issues that I hope others are not since I will likely have to make a trade with NEC. I have about 800ish hours almost entirely on economy lamp setting.

Recently, I have been seeing a "pulsing" of light from the projector. The entire panel cycles through 2-4 levels of light level from low to high then drops to the lowest. It has only happened a few times and has gone away if I power down and unplug or use another method that I'll mention below.

The other issue that has been happening is that I have seen a few cases where it has shutdown and indicated (via the red status LED) that there has been a temperature error. This really can't be so because I have been vacuuming the filters regularly (inspection shows them to be clean) and at the time of the shutdowns the room was around 70dF (much cooler than it usually is).

I have already reported the other problem that I have seen which is that it after 3-4 hours of use, the projector refuses to turn back on if it is not allowed to "chill" for more than 1-2 hours. Pulling the plug resets this. I have not seen this problem in quite a while and NEC offered a swap when I reported it.

OK, so here's the really weird part. I happened to switch the lamp mode to normal about a week ago. I have not seen any of these problems since! I'm wondering if there is some issue in the firmware or otherwise that has a problem with economy mode. Are there any other VT540 owners that have as many or more hours as do I that are all or mostly in economy lamp mode that would care to share their status?

Though I hate to take the chance with the recent 'K' drama and the omnipresent dead pixel issue (mine is 100% clean), I'll probably be swapping mine out soon. BTW, I think that the next one I might run in normal mode all the time. The image is sooo much better.

Sorry to be so wordy.
Thanks!

*I try to save the word love for important things like beer and food - but this is right up there http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!
Our Silent Angels
Please visit The Manny Page!

HBO is guilty of Crimes Against Filmanity!

From Paragraph 44 of the 5th Report and Order: We note in this regard that broadcasters and networks have emphasized their commitment to high definition television.

Our Silent Angels Please visit The Manny Page!
Closed Thread Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page