Any updates on the Infocus HT projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 44 Old 03-22-2001, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have any idea of the price and release date of the Infocus HT projector?

------------------
Walter

Walter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 03-22-2001, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I spoke to Infocus's telephone support last week and was told they wanted to hit a Christmas release. No other details, though.

-phil

Life's a party, let's get out and strut.
post #3 of 44 Old 03-23-2001, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Joe, that awesome. If the retail is 4995.00, I can imagine the street price is going to be very attractive for the 720p model.

------------------
Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #4 of 44 Old 03-23-2001, 12:14 PM

Will this projector use the current 4x3 DMD chip or the new 16x9 chip? If it uses the 4x3 DMD chip then I would like to get the panamorph, will this projector be compatible with this lens?

Thanks
Kenny
post #5 of 44 Old 03-23-2001, 12:51 PM

If Infocus cane produce a single chip DLP unit using a 720 by 1280 chip for $5,000, then why can't they also produce a high end three chip DLP unit using the same 720 by 1280 chips for under $15,000? Seems to me it should only cost double ($10,000. retail) to use 3 chips vs. one chip as the other costs involved will be almost the same.

Christopher
post #6 of 44 Old 03-23-2001, 08:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Christopher,

I think the optics for separating the light into the component colors, and then recombing them after reflecting off the chips, are pretty pricey.

------------------
Noah

Noah
post #7 of 44 Old 03-24-2001, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

The MicroDisplay report linked above mentioned a summer release, which would be great. Maybe the guy I spoke to at InFocus (see my earlier reply) wasn't in the know. Or, maybe they've slipped schedule since January. I'm kinda curious about the 480p number, though. I haven't seen a 480 DLP system in a long time. I wonder if they could have meant a 800x600 panel. Could TI be working on a 853x480 16:9 panel?

-phil

post #8 of 44 Old 04-20-2001, 12:51 PM

Hello!

Any news on the new InFocus HT series?

According to the mdreport.com I think that the SVGA will have a 848x640 resolution - which is in 16:9 real 480p - and the XGA will be a real 16:9 unit with 1280x720.

In a German magazine I read that the video-electronics comes from Faroujda integrated in a seperate box, which is connected with a single digital cable to the projector. That would be great.

Another magazine reported about more than 1500 Ansi Lumen, would be very suitable for a Greyhawk or DaLite HC.

Thanks, Walter.

Graz, home town of the Terminator...
post #9 of 44 Old 04-20-2001, 02:42 PM

Sound & Vision has a picture & description of a model LP130 HDTV.
Anyone know more about this new InFocus model?
post #10 of 44 Old 04-20-2001, 02:45 PM

Sound & Vision has a picture & description of a model LP130 HDTV.
Anyone know more about this new InFocus model?
post #11 of 44 Old 04-20-2001, 03:19 PM

The LP130 is a new busineess model. It replaces the LP335.

Greetings, Walter

post #12 of 44 Old 04-20-2001, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
So, has anyone heard anything about the new HT projector???

-- Cain

post #13 of 44 Old 04-20-2001, 06:27 PM

The LP130 may be a good projector, but it does not belong to the new HT-Series.

http://www.infocushome.com./

http://www.loehneysen.de/ces2001/ces3.html

It is in German, so I translate the important facts:

< 33dB
> 1500 Ansi Lumen !!
RGB-colour whell with faster speed & no white part!
Video processing from Faroujda
separate docking station, connected with one digital cable <= 30m
SVGA...$ 3000,-
XGA....$ 5000,-

I hope this helps, Walter

------------------
Graz, hometown of the Terminator...

post #14 of 44 Old 04-20-2001, 06:47 PM

FWIW I called Outlaw (assuming they would be using the Infocus projector) last week and told them I was in the market for a $3000 projector and should I hold out for their's. They basically said that wasn't their pricepoint, that they were out to compete with the best (DLP I assume) out there but at a reasonable price, which wasn't mentioned.
post #15 of 44 Old 04-20-2001, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

More on the Outlaw, when I spoke to their support person, he said that they hope to make an announcement at next month's Home Entertainment show in NY. He didn't sound 100% certain that they would, but I'm keeping my eyes open for a press release around the 11th of May.

When I spoke to him previously he also mentioned that this wouldn't be a "cheap" projector but didn't give a price. I don't know what he considers to be cheap. I also asked if it was going to be native 16x9 and he said it was. I just hope he knows what I was asking as I didn't probe further. Also, he said that the release is about 2 month away. I guess we'll know more soon if that's the case.

-phil

post #16 of 44 Old 04-20-2001, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by noah katz:
I think the optics for separating the light into the component colors, and then recombing them after reflecting off the chips, are pretty pricey.</font>
Do LCD and D-ILA projectors have optics that are similar to those in 3-chip DLP projectors?
post #17 of 44 Old 04-21-2001, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

All of this seems to fit with my impressions from my brief talk with InFocus technical guys at CES. They seemed to fully understand the limits and problems with current offerings including inadequate light output, rainbow, poor quality internal processors (plug and play), color issues and too high prices.

There was clearly the intention to learn from everyone else's mistakes and shortcomings and produce a projector that would represent a clear step forward in both technology and price.

Keep your fingers crossed!

Dan

My HT is an oldie but goodie!
post #18 of 44 Old 04-22-2001, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Joe,

If by F-box you mean the scaler/switcher that I've seen in CES photos and read about on the infocushome web site (I assume you're meaning Faroujda box) I don't think it can be seperated from the projector. They mention that only one wire runs between the two, so I kinda hope that's some sort of proprietary cable that requires the use of the two together. It'd be great if that cable was a digital connection of some sort (DVI w/o HDCP?).

-phil

post #19 of 44 Old 04-24-2001, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

So, what do you guys advice? Hold out for the new Infocus HT projector or buy an LP340 while waiting?

------------------
Walter

Walter
post #20 of 44 Old 04-24-2001, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Unless you and everyone you know is immune to rainbow, I'd hold out. The 340 is a great presentation projector but just doesn't cut it for HT IMO.

Dan

post #21 of 44 Old 04-25-2001, 05:50 AM

This sounds so perfect (especially if discounted 30%) but yet so vague that I'm really worried. All I can find on the web is the same press release from the Jan CES and the german page, which has pix that look like they're from a handout. Did/does Infocus actually have a working model? Is this more vaporware? I CAN wait for Christmas, but it wouldn't be easy. If no one sees a working model at the NY show in May, I don't see how it would be out by summer. The infocushome web site is really upbeat and consumer-oriented, but vague; the infocus home site doesn't mention it.

Still, this is a good sign that the presentation-projector makers are seriously looking at the HT market. Prices HAVE to come down under 5K$ to compete with the "boxes". The Yamaha DPX-1 was listed over 10K$, and has less features than the Infocus - but at least they had a working model. Where is Sony, etc.? If the Infocus models actually hit 2/3.5K$ street, we should get in line to buy one now! But... "Is it real, or is it Microsoft?" Infocus can steal the market IF they release soon, or they may just be jerking us around to prevent sales to NEC, etc.
post #22 of 44 Old 04-25-2001, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not a mechanical expert like so many of you, but it just seems to me that it shouldn't be all that hard for Infocus, or anyone else for that matter, to put together a projector that combines what is already known and available to solve the problems that have been widely discussed on this forum.

Color fidelity with single-chip DLP is a software, bulb and filter issue. Seleco has clearly solved that one. Rainbow is about the number of segments on the color wheel and the speed of that wheel and software. All of this is known at this point, it just needs to be combined in a single unit.

Processing is something Infocus was pretty good at to begin with. If they work with Faroudja, who is damn good at it, the result should be great.

So I see nothing in the way of Infocus putting all this together and bringing a next generation DLP to market by year end. But I also see nothing in the way of any of the current vendors making these enhancements either.

I think you are going to continue to see a very rapid improvement in DLP and frequent new produce releases, at least one per month. That's why I am being patient right now because when I spend $6-8K on this thing I don't want to have all the currently serious flaws and I don't want to be obsolete in 30 days. I might have to settle for 60 days, however! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Dan

post #23 of 44 Old 04-25-2001, 08:05 AM

I would agree with you and decided to wait until summer for the new arriving units. At the time the SIM HT250 is my personal favourite, espacially because of its good color-accuracy.

At the end of june or so the new Davis Cinema Ten Pro should be available. It has a totally new chassis, a RGBRGB-color wheel and a modular and replaceable video-processing section. Very silent ( &lt; 30dB ) I also read in a german magazine that later there will be an anamorphic optic for replacement and a blue-tooth Connection to the projector. The price is similar to the SIM units. In future also SXGA and Qxga versions are planned with the same new chassis.

Plus, also a big number in business, announced new HT-products and therefore InFocus must get ready their HT-products as soon as possible. If they can keep their promised price we will see...

Greetings, Walter.

------------------

post #24 of 44 Old 04-25-2001, 08:08 AM

I just got off the phone with Infocus's manager of product development. She assured me that even though they have a website for the HT projector, it definitely won't be released before Christmas. The head of the PR department for Infocus is named Linda Ferguson at 800-294-6400 ext8870. Maybe a few phone calls could get more information out of them.
post #25 of 44 Old 04-25-2001, 10:04 AM

Wiggles, I did not intend to imply harrassment. However, They do have the answers as the woman made it clear that they were proprietary and she didn't want to answer. I think if they are going to post on the website a teaser asking "who wants to be the first on their block with an HT projector", they are under some obligation to give details IF they expect everyone to wait for them. Advertising products they can't deliver in a reasonable amount of time just to get people to delay their purchases from a competitor is wrong.
post #26 of 44 Old 04-25-2001, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

I am sure that Infocus would like to bring this product to market as soon as possible also. They see there would be great strategic value in being the first with an "affordable" home theater projector.

I also think Infocus is smart enough to not release a product to the home theater market that is not ready. (For example, I for one question the wisdom of Seleco for releasing a product,(HT250), with a MSRP of $12k that will not properly display an HD signal thru all its inputs.)

Calling Infocus will not make product development go any faster.

Many of us are frustrated. We see that producing an excellent "home theater" projector for under $5k is totally possible. It is hard to wait.
But what other choices do we have? Pay inflated prices for the current "home theater" projectors, buy a business projector or wait.

I have waited this long, what's a few more months. Reed.
post #27 of 44 Old 04-25-2001, 07:13 PM

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/004068.html

Found this topic about the CES. acaciolo confirms my expectation that the XGA HT-model will be a real 16:9 unit with a resolution of 1280x720. Also the targeted price of $5000,- is mentioned here.

I am sure InFocus is working very hard for this unit, but nobody is allowed to report any facts. If they would announce the details to soon, nobody want to buy a LP340/350...

------------------

post #28 of 44 Old 04-25-2001, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Guys,

Please don't bug the staff.

Jaron,

It seems like she has told you everything you would want to know. There is no reason for everyone to try and get the same info out of her.

The way I see it there are only two questions left to be answered for these products:

1. Will one of them use a 720p chip?

2. When will it actually be delivered to the public?

For question 1, I don't know if they want to answer it.
For question 2, I am not even sure if they know.

However, I think it is a given that they will have their initial offering before Christmas as I mentioned my deleted post. (Sorry D.H.)

I think they are really going after this market which is a first for an inexpensive projector manufacturer. They will give plenty of low cost competition to the other hi-end companies. If you can wait, or can live with a refurbished/low cost projector for the time being, I would.

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------
The Mothership is now boarding.

The Mothership is now boarding.
post #29 of 44 Old 04-25-2001, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Nothing before Christmas? That is sad, all the rumors from this and other boards and CES in January had something coming from Infocus this summer. Oh well...
post #30 of 44 Old 04-26-2001, 02:15 AM
Advanced Member

If you don't like Infocus's marketing communications then you have no obligation to purchase from them. Infocus has no obligation to tell any more than they want to about their development projects or even existing products for that matter.

If you're waiting for this projector as your entry point into FPTV, my suggestion is don't. Since they announced December and because most development projects slip, I'm more apt to think it's going to be closer to April 2002. By the time it finally ships there will be a new reason to wait in the form of one or more announcements of lower cost, higher quality projectors. You could find yourself waiting a long time and there is so much to enjoy right now.

--Les
Closed Thread Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page