10ht to 11ht upgrade/hack? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-30-2001, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It may still be too early to ask this question, but I will anyway. Does anyone know if the "new" parts from the 11ht can be retrofit into the 10ht? I know the chasis is the same on both which leads me to suspect that the internal mounts/brackets are as well. There is word of Sony using a new LCD panel in the 11. I wonder if it would fit into the "slot" of the 10ht. The problem other than lack of cross compatability of the hardware, would be any kind of software update (hmmm, haven't all of us 10ht owners been waiting for this anyway?).

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-30-2001, 08:39 AM

I haven't heard anything, but (as a currently satisfied but always curious 10HT owner) I'd be more than happy to spend a few hundred bucks on an upgrade kit. Hope such an item is made available.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-30-2001, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 39
As far as I can tell from reading the single brochure Sony has published, the LCD panels are exactly the same between the 10HT and the 11HT (and the Sanyo PLV-60 for that matter). The improved contrast ratio of the 11HT is attributed to a new optical lens assembly. This may be the most expensive part after the LCD and beam splitter assembly, but Sony has in the past not changed things that don't need changing (the VPL-W400Q and VPL-VW10HT lens assemblies will interchange). It should be possible to use the new lens but it'll be expensive, you might be dollars ahead by selling the old projector and buying the 11HT.

Interestingly, the brochure does not mention that the projector chassis are the same - where did you hear that? A lot of us were hoping for an internal scaler re-design, to allow passthrough of 1366X768 video modes without scaling. It is unclear whether this is even possible with the existing circuitry, although we are hoping it is, and could be implemented with a firmware change.

Gary

[This message has been edited by Gary McCoy (edited 05-30-2001).]

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #4 of 6 Old 05-30-2001, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Perhaps Adam meant that the case is the same, which according to pics I've seen it is. Of course, the "guts" could be completely different in terms of circuitry.

------------------
Steve

Visit our dedicated home theater, The City Cinema.

Steve
post #5 of 6 Old 05-31-2001, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Gary

As Steve suspected, I was referring to the case when I mentioned the chassis. Sorry for any confusion.

Adam
post #6 of 6 Old 06-01-2001, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Gary,

I was just thinking....

How can the lens assembly affect the contrast ratio? I thought the "problem" with our 10ht 's (and most other pixel based devices) contrast ratio was that the LCD's let a small amount of light pass through even when the pixels are turned off.

Adam
Closed Thread Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page