Dan G's Sanyo PLC-XP21N WOW!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-18-2001, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Dan G., who makes great posts to this forum, was kind enough to invite me to his cool pad right outside Boston to see his PLC-XP21N in action. What a treat! This is one hell of a projector. If I was buying a new projector this unit would be very compelling. I walked in to his place and there was a beautiful large 4:3 screen full up with a clear bright, colorful picture with all the lights on. The source was standard broadcast Dish Network processed through a quadscan and it looked great. This projector pumps out 2500 ansi lumens and if you want a projector that you can use anytime you want you will need this power. I predict in a couple of years we will look at 1300 ansi lumens the same way we look at 500 ansi lumens projector today. If you want a projector you can integrate into your everyday lifestyle to use in your main living space as opposed to an isolated home theatre room you will need at least 2500+ ansi lumens.
I will describe the image quality by saying first my frame of reference is as a former CRT owner and now an owner of a LP350. For pure perfection in a dark room a well setup CRT is hard to beat, but the Sanyo made a very good showing. First of all the Sanyo has a 700 to 1 contrast ratio and believe me this projector showed a picture with great range and impact. Dan has a plain white screen and even with this screen the projector produced no compromise blacks that even a CRT owner would have to admire. The colors are very true and powerfully rendered and the image is really sharp without looking digital. What was really impressive was how well this projector showed the very busy scene in the 5th element where Bruce in his taxicab is hovering over the city and the picture is crowded with activity and detail. Every thing looked super sharp and very well defined. Dan also showed me some HDTV and with that I have to say we are really beginning to hit the wall when it comes to image quality. It is hard to imagine how anything could look any better than what I saw on his screen. There was some visible line structure. This is a matter of taste and what you are used to. I got started with CRT and now have DLP so I don't see any in my everyday viewing so I do notice it more than someone who got started with LCD. Since the line structure was not pronounced and we were sitting only 10 feet away from screen it might disappear completely with a gray screen and sitting distance of 14 feet.

Thanks again Dan!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-18-2001, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Add a gray screen and a panamorph to the Sanyo and we're going to be looking at close to state of the art from what is basically a presentation projector that costs less than the HT projectors, even with the add ons. Its starting to happen! Pixelization might not be an issue if you were 17 or 18 feet back (what size of screen?).

Thanks for the great post. I would really like to see a similar setup. Anyone in the Toronto, Ottawa area have one of these for viewing?

Cheers,

Grant Smyth
post #3 of 14 Old 05-18-2001, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Great picture quality off of Dish? Now that's amazing!

Quadscan must work miracles.

--Les
post #4 of 14 Old 05-18-2001, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Dish picture quality was great for a dish-best I have seen and the quadscan does help a lot along with the sheer force of the projector.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-19-2001, 02:18 AM

Thanks for your kind words Lenny.
Anyone near Boston is welcome to visit for as long as you like to see the Sanyo- just drop me a line(goldfarbdan@hotmail.com). If anyone rents something new and wants to see it on a big screen around here I am available.
Also- before anyone lays down close to $6k for a projector, they owe it to themselves to look at the Sanyos before spending their cash.

It is very hepful to get objective opinions on the Sanyo, because while we all strive to optimize things in our own home, it is hard to maintain a reference to what 'state of the art' really looks like.
I have been overly enthusiastic from day one recommending this projector to others, so I am glad I was not off the mark in the grand scheme.

For the record, my reception on Dish is 123/125, so that may help performance. Things are not pleasant IMO without the Quadscan though.

dg

post #6 of 14 Old 05-19-2001, 04:42 AM

I agree with Dan abt Qscan (as far as picture quality). I took the advice of many on this forum and purchased a Qscan for use with my 21N. The positive difference is amazing. I still catch a few tiny artifacts but that could just be the DVD. I previously owned a Marantz 8100 which I purchased for a song off of Ebay. It was a nice unit with a very stable picture. But, U571 for instance was difficult to watch due the contrast demand. Now U571 may be the best disc I own. It is truly amazing with the 21N! A Bug's Life looks good on anything, thats why its always lying around the demo room. Ask them for U571! (I still wonder about Quadscan reliability though)

------------------
Through man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world...

- Saint Arnoldus

- Saint Arnoldus
post #7 of 14 Old 05-19-2001, 07:23 AM

Your quality concerns are completely justified IMO.
Thankfully, Focus does stand behind their products (repaired mine once already - I haveo wned itfor about 2 months)
I already have another new problem- it just developed "Hot Whites" whentaking a component feed from DVD.
The fix I found by accident was to make the input "Terminated" for DVD only- this seems to correct forthe hot whites, but is not ultimately confidence inspiring!

The other QS tip Iread about that is REALLY important is to not trust itto figure out the de-interlacing ("DSP=Auto" is bad)
MAnually select based on your material (Film for DVD, Motion for TV)

DG
post #8 of 14 Old 05-19-2001, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Joe,

If you need the lumens, nothing touchs LCD in the bang for the buck category.

To get 2500 lumens out of 1-chip DLP is just about impossible without using an outrageously large lamp (400 Watt UHP which doesn't exist to my knowledge). This means extra heat and extra cooling.

I think the only short coming of the current Sanyos is the gamma has too much punch for RGB inputs. This can be corrected in the service menu but I don't have instructions currently.

Now if 2500 isn't enough for you and XGA isn't enough for you. Take a look at the Proxima 9410AV. 3700 Lumens with a 600:1 ratio. This guy looked great when I viewed it.

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------
The Mothership is now boarding.

The Mothership is now boarding.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-19-2001, 09:55 PM

Dan, I am pretty sure you always run the input terminated. The only reason not to do so is when you are using input b as a pass-thru. Then the next input device will act as the terminator.

That is how I run mine...

------------------

- Saint Arnoldus

- Saint Arnoldus
post #10 of 14 Old 05-30-2001, 08:55 PM
SFC

Hi All:

I am relatively new to home theater and am very grateful to all who have provided comments in this forum regarding different projectors. In particular, Dan G has been quite helpful. Based on many comments, I purchased an XP21 and am quite impressed with it's capabilities. Driving it with an older Panasonic DVD player (A-120, 480i, component), colors are rich and contrast amazing! That said, limitations in either my DVD player or the signal processing in the XP21 (or both) make for some jagged images (particularly in dark scenes). Based on the prior comments in this thread, seems like there are at least three options:

1. Use a Quadscan to improve signal quality,
2. Upgrade to a progressive scan DVD player, or
3. Both, since the Quadscan would also improve other images.

I'd be interested in hearing other's comments. Also, with the Quadscan, I understand that the new Elite has a fan; how loud is it and what is a good online source?

Lastly, in setting up the XP21 I encountered a great deal of electrical noise when using a grounded cord but very clean images with the ground disconnected. The same thing happened with another projector I was using (so it isn't unique to my XP21). Any thoughts on what the issue is and how to addressed (BEFORE I make a more permanent installation) or what would help to give it good 'clean' power?

Thanks in advance,

SFC
post #11 of 14 Old 05-31-2001, 06:58 AM
cai
Advanced Member

SFC

Check the polarities in your outlet. Make sure the ground is truly attached and that the positive and the negative leads are not inverted. Check this using one of those three light testers from Radio Shack. IF YOU DECIDE TO CORRECT ANY CONNECTIONS, MAKE SURE THE POWER IS OFF. IF NOT HANDY CALL AN ELECTRICIAN.

------------------
cai

Thank you,

cai
post #12 of 14 Old 05-31-2001, 10:25 AM
SFC

Thanks cai:

I checked the polarity using a Radio Shack tester and they test out OK. In re-thinking the issue, the interference was clearly noticable using my cable signal, at which point I disconnected the ground and the issue went away. I do not know whether my DVD signal would have the same noise. Is it possible that it is a cable signal issue (not properly grounded - too much noise)?

SFC
post #13 of 14 Old 05-31-2001, 11:28 AM

I think it is quite possible that is has to d oexclusively with your cable box.
Myn people get a 60 Hz Hum when they introduce cable boxes because of ground hum issues.

This is starting to get beyond my depth, but I would speculate this is what you may be facing.
Go get a Monster POwer HTS 2000.
Yes there may be better units, etc. etc., but for $125 this is a winner. Surge protection & insurance (and they do pay, I have been helped by them before). This has enough outlsts for ton of toys, and it will get rid of your problem I bet.

Regarding the Quadscan Elite- I bet AVS is gonna be a good source for them, and I also saw a dealer on www.audiogon.com selling units for $1350 I think.

dg
post #14 of 14 Old 06-01-2001, 02:01 PM
SFC

Thanks Dan:

I actually did try a surge suppressor/EMI filter device to no effect. However, I had it on the projector and not the cable box, so that may still be the issue. More time to 'play' this weekend!

SFC
Closed Thread Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page