Is lamp flicker still an issue on current Sonys ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-26-2015, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is lamp flicker still an issue on current Sonys ?

My HW50ES is acting up again and as I'm typing this, flickering like crazy. It's already been to Sony twice, or was it thrice? I lost count somewhere along the road.
Well, so far they honored the warranty without any fuss. Last time they did something to the lamp ballast and replaced the lamp again. The first 1300 hours things were rather fine but slowly things are going downhill again.

I'm loving this unit to bits, especially because the extended gamma calibration possibilities and excellent virtually nonexistant input lag but the flickering can drive you crazy.

How are more recent models doing? I couldn't find any reports of flickering on the HW55ES so, is there still hope?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-26-2015, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 132
It is still there and I think the only way to overcome this problem over time is to use them in high lampmode only. I have owned 2 HW50 and 2 HW55 and the only one that has not started flickering is my last HW55 witch I have only used in high mode. I have also owned 2 VW1000/1100 and none of these had this problem, thoug a friend if mines started flickering after 1000 hours on the first lamp and switching it to high stopped the problem.

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

post #3 of 11 Old 07-26-2015, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

That is kind of sad, I was hoping they'd devise a fix.
Mine has been running almost entirely on high but switching it to low for a little while sometimes helped in the beginning. When the flickering has manifested for a couple of weeks, not even that helps anymore.
Well, before the last service, things usually started to get unbearable after the 500 hour mark. Now I'm at 1450 so this is an upgrade.

Last edited by mosi1979; 07-26-2015 at 05:17 AM.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-26-2015, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 132
One of my HW50 started flickering both in high and low lamp, but with that a lamp change (provided free from Sony) fixed the problem and it did not start to flicker the next 300h. The others have started flickering in low and stopped after setting them to high, but I have never had them past the 1000h mark. A friend of mine owns a HW50 and it has passed the 2000h mark and he is 500h on his second lamp and it has never flickered. So it is not happening with every unit.

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

post #5 of 11 Old 07-26-2015, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

I wonder what others are experiencing with the sonys. 1000+ hours is a lot for some people to reach, at least from what my dealer told me.
On my last projector I claimed the lamp hours highscore with him. It suddenly died out of the blue due to power supply damage, third bulb installed, 6500hrs total lamp time. I still miss that TW2000, really sturdy thing, no big issues.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-28-2015, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

I found my first lamp with about 500 hours on it. It was unbearably flickering so it almost went into the bin back then after sony sent me a new one. Right now it's perfectly fine. A couple of hiccups during the first hour and then things calmed considerably.
So from the limited sample size I'd say they really fixed something in whatever drives the lamp, last time they serviced the unit.

By the way, your theater setup is impressive Andreas21!

Last edited by mosi1979; 07-28-2015 at 12:40 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-28-2015, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
This is not unique to Sony's. I've owned high end HT models from Panasonic and Epson. Both bulbs I had on the Panasonic went through a period of flickering in eco/low lamp mode and the Epson only the second bulb had that problem.

You don't get away from this problem until you get away from bulb based projectors which is what I'm holding out for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosi1979 View Post
My HW50ES is acting up again and as I'm typing this, flickering like crazy. It's already been to Sony twice, or was it thrice? I lost count somewhere along the road.
Well, so far they honored the warranty without any fuss. Last time they did something to the lamp ballast and replaced the lamp again. The first 1300 hours things were rather fine but slowly things are going downhill again.

I'm loving this unit to bits, especially because the extended gamma calibration possibilities and excellent virtually nonexistant input lag but the flickering can drive you crazy.

How are more recent models doing? I couldn't find any reports of flickering on the HW55ES so, is there still hope?
post #8 of 11 Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 160
WUT ?

I've had 6 different Sont projectors over the last 15 years.....I've never experienced this issue before, and up until I just saw this thread, never even heard of it.

I did have an HDMI board issue with my HW15 when I owned it, but that's been the only issue with a Sony ever for me.

Maybe I should have never stumbled across this thread..........now I'm going to be critical.

*DIY ConcreteBunker Rustic Dream Build w/11' screen, 11.2chnl, 8x18" IB subs, 28.8KW*
GR Research LS-9 + LS-C | Denon AVR-4520 11.2 | Sony VPL-HW55ES | DaLite 11' screen | Sanway FP-14000 & FP-10000Q | Sherbourn PA 7-350 | Behringer iNuke NU1000DSP | 8x IB318's | Buttkicker Original(2x), LFE(2x), MiniLFE(8x) | MinDSP 2x4 | 21'W x 27'L x 10'H | MiniSplit
April 2015 HToM <> SuperCharged 10 second II
post #9 of 11 Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 126
You might want to remove the lamps and clean the contacts on the lamp and projector. I had this problem on my JVC RS-1. It appears the contacts oxidize in the high heat and the lamp will start to flicker. After I cleaned the contacts, the flickering went away....

I used DeOxit....

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #10 of 11 Old Today, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhart View Post
This is not unique to Sony's. I've owned high end HT models from Panasonic and Epson. Both bulbs I had on the Panasonic went through a period of flickering in eco/low lamp mode and the Epson only the second bulb had that problem.

You don't get away from this problem until you get away from bulb based projectors which is what I'm holding out for.
Every single previous projector I have owned (has to be over 10 now) has had bulb flicker. We'll see if my current X500 will start to flicker as I get to 500+ hours which is usually when every other pj has started to flicker. Either I am just that unlucky or it's as you said, just inherent in bulb based light sources.

I find that running the units in high lamp for 10-15 hours usually clears it up for a bit on econo/normal mode.
post #11 of 11 Old Today, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I have over 1400 hours on my Sony 1100ES and never experienced flicker. I switched over to high lamp mode at around 800 hours.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page