AVS Forum banner

How do new 2015 projectors compared to my JVC RS10?

Tags
jvc rs10
579 views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  ohcello 
#1 ·
Hello,

I own a JVC RS10, had the optical block replaced under warranty a few years ago, and I think it's going to fail again (I see the dreaded purple vertical line in the left hand side!!). So I wanted to see if projector PQ have come a long way since 2010? In other words, how much would i have to spend on a new project to get near the PQ of the JVC RS10? Or, is The RS10 will really, really good and it's worth looking into fixing it... again..

Thanks all.

PS, I don't care about 3D, 4K, etc... just the best 1080 p PQ with good black levels and good contrast. THANKS ALL!!

#2 ·
A newer JVC would be a better bet. I've heard an out of warranty optical block replacement is extremely expensive. The newer JVCs are brighter, sharper, better with motion, and have a lot more contrast. Basically every aspect of the picture has been improved upon on a noticeable level compared to the RS10. You could look into a JVC DLA-X500 or if you wanted to save money look on the used market for one.

#3 ·
Thanks.... however that is way out of my budget. I actually got a great deal on the RS10 new 5 years ago ($2200), and frankly I cannot spend that much again. So either I look into an expensive repair, another used RS10, or get a new projector .... but in the $1-1500 range....but only if they have improved a decent amount with black levels, etc.... THANKS.

#4 ·
For $1500 you may be able to find a used RS45/30, but that's really the only thing for that cheap that will give you an upgrade from the RS10 in the black level department. From what I've been told, an out of warranty optical block replacement is well above $2000. Other than the lens, it's the most expensive part of the projector.

#5 ·
Thanks... good to know... but I don't need an upgrade in any feature as the RS10 is still awesome PQ IMO.... I'm trying to see if I could match (or even downgrade slightly) the PQ of the RS10 with any of the newer projectors that retail for under $2k...

#6 · (Edited)
Like, I was saying, there isn't a single projector that I can think of that is currently for sale (aka a new unit) in the sub $2000 projector market that will trump the RS10 in PQ. And I don't know of a unit that will only be a "slight" downgrade. The RS10 has held it's own against the budget minded units throughout the last 4-5 years. You'd be best off picking up another RS10 or like I said an RS45 or X30 (same projector) as both will cost less than $2000 on the used market. Fixing the optical block on that unit won't be within your budget.

And just remember, you are posting in the $3000+ subforum. ;) For where the RS10 was selling at when it first came out ($5000), in context to what's now selling at that price point, it really doesn't have "awesome" picture quality. For about that price (and even lower) there are some noticeable PQ improvements from models like the JVC DLA-X500, Sony VPL-HW55ES and the Epson LS9600e. But, like you said, you can't afford them. Context is key in terms of what value each unit has in PQ. If the RS10 sold today it wouldn't do well. But, like I said, it's still has a better picture compared to what sells today in the sub $2000 projector market.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the information. I thought this might be the case as the RS10 was just so much better than all the other models I tried (of which were $2k or less) in 2010, and I knew I was lucky to get it for $2200 then.

That all being said, I'm hesitant getting a used model at this stage as what's to prevent another huge repair if I buy a model with no warranty? Bottom line is that I might have a make a large downgrade once the 'purple band' on the RS10 gets really wide/bad.

Thanks again!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.