AVS Forum banner

BENQ W8000 3rd 1080p DLP CinematicColor from BenQ

8K views 75 replies 23 participants last post by  Seegs108 
#1 ·
#3 · (Edited)
Never going to happen. This unit will be using the smaller .65" DMD. The smaller DMDs do not have the same potential for contrast that the larger DMDs have. If you look at measurements, it seems the larger DMDs have, on average, a 25% advantage with contrast and in some cases even more.

#5 ·
Excited to see how this tests out.
The exchangeable lenses may finally give me a higher contrast option for my throw distance-challenged room.
Somewhat disappointed however that the lens choices miss the 1.0 range.
Looks like a fixed short throw lens at 0.7 (for table top use I assume), then a 1.1-1.3 zoom which is similar to the W1075. I am maxed out on the W1070, so adding a few extra inches of projector depth for the W8000 is going to shrink my image.
Probably a fool's hope that the contrast will come remotely close to the Epson UB's or the Sony 55ES.

#8 ·
Bump.

The W8000 seem to be the only decent midrange DLP that will be released in the near future but it is impossible to find any information on this model. I have been holding off on purchasing the JVC until the specs of the W8000 are made available but the waiting feels like an eternity.

#9 ·
Looking at Kraine's photo below, the W8000 will only have 1700 lunens. This is a step-down from the W7500 that has 2200 peak lumens and 1700 calibrated lumens. Why not increase the light output and allow users to use the iris to reduce output as needed? How will this projector differentiate itself from the crowded field?

Attachments

#11 ·
Not too bright. Give me all the lumens that you can, but also give me a manual iris, so that light output can be adjusted to what is needed. Also second iris that is dynamic. On top of that, it has to have good native contrast.

#19 ·
It is a Delta, market by various Delta Customers, including 'Vivitek a Delta Brand' I am sure some of those Ricoh's come from Delta, as well. Is NEC also having one?

There aren't too many independent 3LCD projector manufacturers anymore either Epson is now buying most of them chips.

#20 ·
As far as consumer based units go, I've noticed that Delta typically makes the best light engines. Delta is behind the light engine in the Planar PD8150, Sim2 Lumis and Runco LS-10i, of which are my three favorite DLP units I've had here and by a decent margin.

#21 ·
As far as consumer based units go, I've noticed that Delta typically makes the best light engines. Delta is behind the light engine in the Planar PD8150 ...
I believe it mostly went the other direction as far as getting that working well, with Planar doing most of the good work on that one and then Delta benefiting. I recall people here assuming it went the other way and one of the people who I know did some good things on it (some after feedback from a pre-production unit) being a little frustrated at that.

If Delta had been the ones driving the dynamic iris algorithms I think some other DLPs since then would have better DIs than they do.

--Darin

#34 · (Edited)
Innntterestingggg...
I hope there is an unwritten "OBO" behind that MSRP because that seems like a pretty steep price for a "Fully HD capable" projector with no motorized controls and a contrast rated at 50,000:1 (realistically divide that by 5).

Interesting that activating the iris defeats "Smart Eco". I guess the two have similar affect but I had hoped the combination of the two might actually provide decent black levels. Pretty tricky programming I imagine.

#37 · (Edited)
That LED 0.95" DMD is a one time deal, don't expect to see that become the norm. It simply costs too much for the lens for 0.95" be profitable in this pricerange.

At this price you are normally looking at low lumens 0.67" DMD LED, like the Optoma HD91+.

And, this new BenQ W8000 is likely the new top dog if you want a new projector under $5000 specifically for use with Blu-ray 3D. Not sure if it supports 144hz triple flash, but even at 120hz my BenQ W7000 is nothing short of stunning in 3D. Better than any cheap DLP or under $10k LCOS can muster.

So, the W8000 definitely does have a use case.

#39 ·
It beats the RS400 in 3D easily, no doubt there. For a strictly 3D projector this will be one of the best under $10k

And, 0.95" DLPs will remain at a price premium due to lens costs, too expensive to manufacture at $3k price point.

0.67" 1080p DLPs will simply be replaced by 0.67" 4k DLPs. 0.95" 1080p DLPs will be replaced by 4K 0.95" DLPs. Price will stay similar for each.

#41 ·
not sure I agree that it will beat the 2016 JVC's for 3D. The W7000 had weak contrast for a DLP (I'm being kind here..) and even mid APL scenes suffered on that projector. Add in the DLP flash for the signal it hurt contrast even more. My Sharp 30K 3D DLP was much better than the 7000 and 7500.

now this model does have an external 3D Sync port (first BQ with to this my knowledge) but the native contrast is likely going to be just as bad as all the other DLP's in this price range.

3D takes on a whole new life on a projector with best in class native contrast and the x-talk performance is remarkable for non-DLP. I haven't fired up my 3D DLP in months since owning the RS600.

#42 ·
I should have bolded the part I was agreeing with (added to my post now). I do not view enough 3D to have an opinion between the two. :)

#44 ·
I've watched a ton of difficult 3D on the JVC vs. the W7500, Sharp 30K 3DLP (better in every way vs W7000/W7500), Optima HD 91+ and Nero 20th 3D DLP.

no issues with headaches and the native contrast is a light year ahead of all these projectors. One thing in common the single panel DLP's have is RBE and man can I see it in 3D. drives me nuts and does give me and my guests headaches.

The RS600 has one of the best L/R patterns of all the non DLP's, x-talk is not an issue for me with this projector. Prior years yes - not this year.

The only 3D DLP I would consider going to at this time would be a Sim2 Lumis 3D. available used with no warranty for the low, low price of $10,000. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sim2-C3X-Lumis-3D-S-Projector-T2-lens-/222190022708

#45 · (Edited)
If I recall, you yourself stated that while the JVC is leaps and bounds better than Epson/Sony, it still is bit short of DLP's virtually perfect result. i.e. you can still see minor crosstalk, though stated crosstalk control helps with this. I am also not happy that the JVC uses more flicker-prone 96hz glasses versus the 120hz/144hz glasses that DLP uses.

Re: RBE vs Crosstalk, I can see RBE easily but it never gave me a headache and I'm surprised it would as its just a visual artifact - looks weird but that's about it. Crosstalk on the other hand makes both my eyes and head hurt because of the double vision and my eyes/brain trying to focus. So whenever there is an option for 0 or closest to 0 crosstalk, that is the option I'll take.

Re: 7000 I actually thought it looked great in 3D, remarkably better than it does in 2D. This is with the Optoma ZD201 glasses and DLP link - no complaints at all, thought it looked spectacular. That's another thing - every time I change 3D systems I have to invest in another 10 pairs of 3D glasses which can be costly.

Sharp was nice but kind of a moot point now since no longer sold or even repaired by Sharp. This BenQ, on the other hand, can be bought with a warranty new. If it can do 144hz triple flash and RF glasses might be a fun buy if on blowout sometime for dedicated 3d pj.

#46 ·
I used to run the 3D DLP's exclusively for 3D until the RS600 arrived. now they are sitting idle.

I'd recommend checking one out sometime. 2 years ago the W8000 would have been on my next buy list for 3D. Native contrast adds a ton to the 3D experience. Those same low-mid APL scenes look lifeless on the W7500 and Sharp 30K.

#47 · (Edited)
The problem is that its kind of hard to demo, say, back to back 3D movies (3+hr) in a showroom and see if you run into a problem at some point. You have to buy the projector and hope for the best and I've had nothing but bad experiences with anything except DLP in 3D (other techs literally unusable). Again, right off the bat not happy with JVC's 96hz glasses (flicker city - should be minimum 120hz) and would prefer the absolute minimal crosstalk that DLP offers. Above pattern impressive but who knows if it will be good enough? An expensive gamble.. Really never had issue with 3D on the W7000 despite its bad native contrast, in fact I thought it looked spectacular, better than theatrical 3D. Only time 3D looked bad on W7000 is when I used X-Pand glasses since they didn't correct for DLP flash color/brightness skew.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.