AVS Forum banner

JVC DLA-X550R / DLA-RS400 Speculation Thread

45K views 560 replies 121 participants last post by  canillo 
#1 · (Edited)
This unit has been announced at CEDIA. Please post speculation in this thread.

#6 ·
This isn't a loss in any regard. The current JVC models have very good R709 settings out of the box with dE's well under 3.0 for saturation tracking @ 25/50/75. With most built in CMS's (on any projector) you can end up doing more harm than good by making major adjustments.

The best case scenario is having default modes that are very close to begin with.

#15 ·
You would think so, but the 500 is outselling it 3 to 1.

#9 ·
I was actually looking at the 500 for $5000 but it was really beyond what I wanted to spend. I primarily wanted the HDCP 2.2 so I didn't need to run an HD Fury or something of the sorts. Looks like a lot of Dolby Atmos content, whether streamed or on BD, will primarily be coming on UHD only. If I could run a 550 for $4K and maintain my Atmos then this is a win win. My other consideration is the Sony 55ES. Looks like pretty comparable units.

Any input on pro cons between the JVC 550 vs the Sony 55ES?

#16 ·
Current model is 60k to 1. The new model is a lot brighter. Due to ths extra brightness, you will be able to close down the manual iris more. That means in actual use you will get greater contrast in real life with the new model, vs the old one, unless you use the old projector with the manual iris fully closed and very few people do that.

#58 ·
Very impressive first look at the lower end model from them. He's always so good. I have an RS500 on pre-order but am now rethinking it and waffling, thinking I may do the RS400 instead. I'm coming from a 4810 model so should still be a quantum leap in the imaging.

Have a question though. Instead of the 15 manual stops we have on all the current models with the manual iris, he says a "dozen" below. Wondering if this is a typo or error in what he meant to say. Can anyone please confirm whether the RS400 still has 15 stops, or is it now 12?

"Some home theater fans will however complain that increased light output while maintaining the same contrast range by Adam Riese leads to a lighter black level and they have here first law: The "light profit" true "unfortunately" also for the absolute black level. Wen this actually bothers (the black level is still subjectively excellent), but may have recourse to the adjustable iris at the focal point of the lens, this can be closed in a dozen stages and thus influences the ratio between maximum brightness, black level and contrast."

Thanks

#32 ·
Another feature missing compared to higher models (besides higher specs and P3) is Real Color Imaging Technology. Does this really have any impact on color or can it be mimicked calibration-wise? I certainly wouldn't want to miss out on cinematic appeal if this feature is unique.

I noticed too there's a 0.4 lbs difference going in between models -wonder what would that be.

#33 ·
The P3 filter is an actual filter and it has a motor that moves it in place and out.

#37 ·
I copied this from a brochure:

JVC’s exclusive Real Color Imaging Technology
JVC focused on enhancing color space information to ensure that all
images are reproduced faithfully to the film creator’s intentions. By analysing
color information of original film prints to create original color profiles, JVC’s
exclusive Real Color Imaging Technology precisely detects the color
specifications of film to not only optimize color replication, but also heighten
picture quality to levels beyond expectations. What’s more, Real Color
Imaging Technology incorporates a color-temperature setting mode
equivalent to that of a Xenon lamp, the light source used in cinema
projectors. The Xenon-mode enables the authentic reproduction of colors
similar to that of film in cinemas, while using highly efficient and economical
ultra-high pressure mercury lamps.

If the extra weight has to do with the lamp then that would be a substantial improvement in the higher model, right?

#40 ·
If the extra weight has to do with the lamp then that would be a substantial improvement in the higher model, right?
The lamp is the same in all three models. The filter that Mike is talking about changes the light that enters the light engine that can be used to create a large color gamut (like P3).

#43 ·
#45 ·
Probably because it does not have the DCI P3 filter, which is required to display the color space of UHD BD.

#60 ·
So common sense would seem that by increasing the bulb power and lumen output, black level will probably suffer...this is probably why the native contrast on the lower model (40,000:1) is worse than last years X500R...Stronger bulb, more light, worse blacks...can anyone speak to this or correct my logic if its incorrect? Obviously this contrast rating is with the aperture fully closed as is the case with the rating on the X500R...They dont get anywhere near that contrast ratio with the apertures fully open.

Lastly, my big gripe with not buying this projector ASAP is that - having gone from the X30/X70 models to an X500R - I can tell you I am thoroughly disappointed with the sluggishness and slowness of the newer models user interface...Everything from remote control commands to menu screens takes so looonnnggg compared to older models due to all the software and features they are adding...Unless JVC has revamped the hardware to support all these new features, are we to expect this round of projectors to be even slower than the X500R? One reviewer experience over 30 seconds of input switching lag with his X500R and I have experienced this as well,.. Anyone speak to these concerns?

#61 ·
So common sense would seem that by increasing the bulb power and lumen output, black level will probably suffer...this is probably why the native contrast on the lower model (40,000:1) is worse than last years X500R...Stronger bulb, more light, worse blacks...can anyone speak to this or correct my logic if its incorrect? Obviously this contrast rating is with the aperture fully closed as is the case with the rating on the X500R...They dont get anywhere near that contrast ratio with the apertures fully open.

Lastly, my big gripe with not buying this projector ASAP is that - having gone from the X30/X70 models to an X500R - I can tell you I am thoroughly disappointed with the sluggishness and slowness of the newer models user interface...Everything from remote control commands to menu screens takes so looonnnggg compared to older models due to all the software and features they are adding...Unless JVC has revamped the hardware to support all these new features, are we to expect this round of projectors to be even slower than the X500R? One reviewer experience over 30 seconds of input switching lag with his X500R and I have experienced this as well,.. Anyone speak to these concerns?

The contrast has been discussed. Not many can close the iris all the way and still have a bright picture on anywhere near a decent sized screen - especially with the X500. In my theater I preferred the picture with the iris opening and the dynamic iris on ( too dim otherwise IMO ). So most likely ( depending on your screen size ) you will be able to close the iris down further on the new RS400 since it is so much brighter than you could on the 4910.

JVC told us at Cedia that the HDMI signal strength has been greatly improved, although I didn't have problems with the RS4910. This is one area they specifically addressed.

#66 ·
This was already tested on a pre-production unit. Input lag is still over 100ms. JVC is not aiming for the gaming market with these projectors. If you want a JVC with low input lag, their laser hybrid units have very low input lag as they're designed for flight simulation which necessitates low input lag.

#68 ·
I am upgrading my home theatre room from s 65" Samsung 65" 8000 flat panel and diving into the deep end with a projector. I've narrowed the choices down to the DLA-X550R and the DLA-X750R for the superior black levels I keep reading about and overall performance. Is there enough of a difference between the two models to warrant the $3000 price difference?

Build Details : 13' x 22' interior basement room, SI Slate 133" Screen, JVC DLA X_50R Projector, Pioneer Elite SC-95 7.2, (4) B&W 8" rounds in ceiling, B&W 683 tower front, B&W 8" Active Sub, B&W 10" Active Sub, Theatre Seating TBD - more confusing that projector choices! :confused::confused::confused:

#69 ·
I am upgrading my home theatre room from s 65" Samsung 65" 8000 flat panel and diving into the deep end with a projector. I've narrowed the choices down to the DLA-X550R and the DLA-X750R for the superior black levels I keep reading about and overall performance. Is there enough of a difference between the two models to warrant the $3000 price difference?

Build Details : 13' x 22' interior basement room, SI Slate 133" Screen, JVC DLA X_50R Projector, Pioneer Elite SC-95 7.2, (4) B&W 8" rounds in ceiling, B&W 683 tower front, B&W 8" Active Sub, B&W 10" Active Sub, Theatre Seating TBD - more confusing that projector choices! :confused::confused::confused:

#70 · (Edited)

Have you contacted the ASV sales guys to get the real street price? What you learn may help your decision.
I was sure the RS400 was what I could afford, after talking with Mike Garret I placed an order for the RS500.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.