AVS Forum banner

Owners of Sony VPL-VW665

Tags
vpl-vw665
205K views 3K replies 213 participants last post by  Archibald1 
#1 · (Edited)
Sony VPL-VW665ES / Sony VPL-VW520 ES

Sony 4K Home Theater ES Projector

Advanced SXRD panel technology delivers incredible 4K images with four times the resolution of

Full HD. You’ll experience rich colors, impressive

1800 lumens brightness and huge 300,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio — for
vibrant, detail-packed pictures with native 4K resolution that always look clear and sharp, even in day lit living rooms.

Native 4K resolution for immersive experience
HD to 4K upscaling turns your HD content into a 4K experience
High brightness and high contrast for vibrant images / 300,000:1 dynamic contrast
Support for High Dynamic Range (HDR) content
HDMI® 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compatible for enjoying up-to-date 4K content services
Compact size and front exhaust for flexible installation
Powered 2.06 zoom and wide lens shift and lens memories
Built in RF 3D transmitter
More color, depth and realism with TRILUMINOS® color
6,000 hour long lasting lamp
Built-in auto calibration

Features

- Cinematic 4K clarity with four times the detail of Full HD
- SXRD® panel technology featured in our professional cinema projectors delivers native 4K (4096 x 2160) resolution images, with no artificial pixel enhancement. Every detail is clear and natural, without jagged edges or visible pixels.
- Very high brightness and contrast
With an impressive 1,800 lumens brightness and spectacular 300,000:1 dynamic contrast range, 4K images are clear with bright
highlights and rich, deep blacks — even in well-lit rooms.
- Smooth, fluid on-screen action
- Coupled with the panel’s super-fast response rate, Motionflow™ technology means you’ll see every detail with minimal blur — no matter how fast the action.
- TRILUMINOS™ Display for wider, more natural colors
Sony’s TRILUMINOS™ Display technology accurately reproduces a much broader range of colors than a standard projector system. You’ll see the difference with finely-reproduced tones and textures plus greater color purity, depth and realism.
- HDR Compatible
- Take full advantage of the latest content produced with HDR (High Dynamic Range) for extremely wide contrast with an even higher range of brightness levels.

Support for latest standards

The VPL-VW665ES can project content at up to 60 frames per second (fps) in 4K (at color signal YCbCr 4:2:0 / 8 bit) for even
smoother images with superior color and realism. Support for HDCP 2.2 lets you enjoy the latest 4K content services.

Reality Creation upscales movies to 4K
As well as projecting native 4K content, the VPL-VW665ES upscales your Full HD Blu-ray™ or DVD movie collection to 4K with

Reality Creation — Sony’s Super Resolution processing technology that enhances lower-resolution content, and even upscales 3D
movies to 4K resolution.

Compatible with ‘Mastered in 4K’ Blu-ray™

Enjoy a near-native 4K experience with discs ‘Mastered in 4K’. It’s as close as you can get to the 4K-pixel resolution and expanded
color range of the original.

Long-lasting lamp

Up to 6000 hours rated lamp operating life (in Low mode) means simpler maintenance, with fewer lamp swaps and reduced running costs.

Picture position memories

Memorizes up to five zoom lens positions for future viewing. Stored settings can be matched to a movie’s aspect ratio, including

16:9 and Cinemascope.

Flexible home installation with wide zoom and shift lens

The powered zoom lens with a 2.1x zoom ratio and wide lens shift range gives greater installation flexibility in any room size, even
with high ceilings.

Front-facing fan

With the fan exhaust positioned at the front of the projector, you don’t need to worry about wall clearance and room for air inhale/exhaust when installing. This helps maximize throw distance, for the biggest possible projected images.

Built-in auto calibration

Set-up is quick and easy: auto calibration ensures superb pictures without effort.

Industry standard RF 3D compatible

The projector’s built-in RF transmitter synchronizes with any RF 3Dglasses for wider coverage and greater stability, so there’s no need for an external transmitter.

3-year limited warranty

All Sony Elevated Standard (ES) projectors enjoy 3-year limited warranties.

15,000 dollars in the US

9,999 euros in Europe!

http://www.sonypremiumhome.com/projectors/VPL-VW665ES.php

http://www.sonypremiumhome.com/pdfs/VPL-VW665ES_SpecSheet.pdf

http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/product/vpl-vw520es/

See less See more
#1,962 ·
Yeah, just trying to put it into context, because if your room had a lot of ambient light, then most of the over $2,000 projectors would close to the same with black levels. Telling me that your room has good light control makes a big difference in your statement. As far as starting an argument, I am interested in owning the best projector for my use that I can afford. Does not matter what brand it is, as long as I sell it. :)

#1,963 ·
I am interested in owning the best projector for my use that I can afford. Does not matter what brand it is, as long as I sell it. :)
Same here I don't care what its called as long as it makes me happy:) As for arguments I am well over that stage:)

#1,965 ·
docrog-

WE both go back to the Kloss days. '76 for me. :)

The adjustments you can make in each of the presets that will be stored until changed are there for tweaking. I will not give you my settings, for several reasons, but mostly because we may not have the identical system in the environment.
What I do is use a set of test charts to set the color saturation and balance, the contrast and brightness for white and black levels. I use the presets that adjust the non-linear personality, such as cinema vs TV/Video/ gaming. In this new world of 4K you will need both charts for BT709 and BT2020. Plus HDR but currently only BT709 is readily available in 2K. Joe Kane has a set distributed by Video Essentials on a thumb drive for 4K and UHD but the HDR charts don't play on any of our consumer systems. The file set that supports HDR meta data is not recognized by our USB inputs. Plus his BT2020 are not verified, last I heard because he was waiting on BT2020 monitor. They were just verified on a P3 certified monitor. Joe will need to publish a UHD disk for HDR and I await his updates when he can complete his BT2020 color gamut charts. Bottom line YOYO when it comes to BT2020 color and HDR but you can adjust the brightness and contrast, sharpness, select the D65K with the charts now. Historically this has been a real crap shoot to adjust color settings this year but I will tell you that the latest firmware updates are looking much better with the settings at default. But that's according to my eyes.

I recall there is a rest to factory for all your tweaks but I have not used that.

#1,966 ·
I have side by side tested the 520 (665) side by side with my RS600 and to say the blacklevel is close is far from the truth.
How did you calibrate the 665ES for your test. I take it you own the JVC which is probably carefully tweaked for perfection, but borrowed the 665ES for side by side, so was that projector carefully calibrated with PLUGE as well? Or was it left in the default factory settings? Why would anyone own two competitive high end projectors?

Second- when did you run the tests? I don't know about the JVC, but we have had several updates that have affected the image of the 665ES in the past 3 months. The latest came this past week. With each update there were improvements requiring me to make adjustments to my black level settings as referenced on a PLUGE test chart.

While I respect the test you made was true when you made it, everyone should recognize that testing results that was done last month may not be representative for what is available today. When conditions change we need to redo the test.

#1,967 · (Edited)
The Sony was as carefully calibrated as the JVC I assure you, as I am a professional calibrator. Both where calibrated with full 3D LUT (eeColor) to ensure the projectors where as good as possible. And I use several different patterns to set the blacklevel correct. :)

The updates to the Sony has not changed the on/off contrast or blacklevel and that was what I talked about in my post. Other than that the JVC is the much better PJ in my eyes. ;)

Reactions: drdig
#1,968 ·
Many measures the Sony VW600 close to 10000:1. As for the VW665 the contrast measures is ranging from 16000:1 up tp 20000:1. Ive own both projector and to my eyes and my meter, the black of the 665 is noticebly better than the VW600. Also, the dynamic iris on the 665 work way better than the one on the VW600, thats a big plus.

I also compare side by side with a JVC RS500 (measure 69000:1) and the black floor of the JVC was better than my Sony no debate here. The perceived black level of the 665 is more in line with the JVC RS400. Even with lower black floor, I found many good things in the Sony that make me sale my JVC RS500. For some the contrat is everything (and I respect that) but for me, once I reach some respectable level, I seek for other images quality.

The big problem with the Sony is not the image quality, is it's the price. The quality/price ratio is not even close to what JVC offer this years... Its hard to recommand a Sony when you know what you can get for way less money in the JVC.

#1,969 ·
Many measures the Sony VW600 close to 10000:1. As for the VW665 the contrast measures is ranging from 16000:1 up tp 20000:1. Ive own both projector and to my eyes and my meter, the black of the 665 is noticebly better than the VW600. Also, the dynamic iris on the 665 work way better than the one on the VW600, thats a big plus.

I also compare side by side with a JVC RS500 (measure 69000:1) and the black floor of the JVC was better than my Sony no debate here. The perceived black level of the 665 is more in line with the JVC RS400. Even with lower black floor, I found many good things in the Sony that make me sale my JVC RS500. For some the contrat is everything (and I respect that) but for me, once I reach some respectable level, I seek for other images quality.

The big problem with the Sony is not the image quality, is it's the price. The quality/price ratio is not even close to what JVC offer this years... Its hard to recommand a Sony when you know what you can get for way less money in the JVC.
Can you please specify what you look for and what you found the VW665 to be better at than your RS500?? I am curious as there is not many aspects in my eyes the VW520 could outperform the RS500/600.

#1,990 ·
Regarding the JP/US firmware not available in Europe, the answer from Sony is basically that it will be available in Europe when it is available...

I just called Sony support here in Sweden and they say exactly the same thing ...:(

#1,973 ·
I'd like to put 2 questions to those on this thread who personally have been able to compare the Sony 665 to the JVC 600:

1. For native 4K source material, how does the image definition/sharpness appear with JVC's e4 shift compared with Sony's true 4K capability?

2. For native 1080p material, how does the image definition/sharpness appear with JVC's upscale/up-conversion to "4K lite" compare with Sony's upscale/up-conversion to its "true" 4K display?

I'm specifically not asking for contrast/brightness/black level/HDR/UCG comparisons here. I'm merely trying to gauge how "sharp" the image would be perceived on my 110" screen under ideal lighting conditions. My collection of HD Blu-Rays is extensive and I doubt that I'd replace many of them, even if eventually available in UHD, so detail is my main interest for that source material. Thanks!

#1,974 ·
See posts 1969 and 1971 just back a few , pretty much sums up the way many feel about the differences. Understand you are on the 665 thread and personal preference/bias will likely factor in just as it will if you post the same on the JVC thread. Before I purchased my RS600 I searched professional reviews for comparisons between the JVC and Sony products and what I learned was the same as what is
summed up in the two previous posts I show earlier . Also realize we all have different tastes, tolerance and probably different visual acuities . Bottom line, you may prefer one over the other for personal
reasons. Financially the JVC is the better deal right now, it's up to you to check out both calibrated and make a decision.

#1,975 ·
So if one can equalize the price differential, then the clear choice in your opinion would be the Sony 665ES. I actually did that! It was an opportunity to get the Sony for less.

The updates to the Sony has not changed the on/off contrast or blacklevel and that was what I talked about in my post. Other than that the JVC is the much better PJ in my eyes.
I don't have the expertise you do but my eyes don't lie and tell me that the image quality on black level and brightness plus color balance did improve with several updates since I purchased the Projector. Plus there was a shift in the black floor based on the test charts. Once recalibrated the image on UHD did improve. I measured my on/off contrast with the meter right after I got it and haven't rechecked it. I suppose that measurement hasn't changed. How that measurement relates to overall picture quality is more academic than actually seeing the picture look better with the updates and that's what's always been the most important part of my experience.

I'm specifically not asking for contrast/brightness/black level/HDR/UCG comparisons here. I'm merely trying to gauge how "sharp" the image would be perceived on my 110" screen under ideal lighting conditions. My collection of HD Blu-Rays is extensive and I doubt that I'd replace many of them, even if eventually available in UHD, so detail is my main interest for that source material. Thanks!
I can't compare to the JVC but I have a similar desire to get a better quality look to my 1080p 2D and 3D Blue Ray collection, including many hours of my own 3D video productions.

First of all you can download an AVS test chart set that works for the 1080p programming content and use these to accurately calibrate the projector. Especially important to your question is the setting of the image sharpness test. Properly calibrated, that adjustment will enhance the sharpness without adding the white edge artifact. Next there is a test to set the motion flow on video content to stop the scene motion judder. Then you turn on the Reality Creation feature which uses AI to upscale the 1080p to 2160p in a much better way than simple adjacent pixel replication.

IMO, I would not worry about e-scale or the Sony advantage of 4096 panels since there is so little content being distributed in native 4096. Because of that your 3840 between the two projectors should be equal. In the future when lots of 4096 content might be available we can readdress the comparison. The Sony just doesn't use a part of the width of the panel for 3840 content and you can calibrate the zoom to fill your screen with 3840. The black bars either side are so dark they don't show up in the black edging of your screen. I CAN see them with the test charts for 4096 if I zoom down the picture area for 4096 full screen width. My GoPro can shoot full 4096 frame but in edit I just crop to 3840 for a match to my other camera and render to 3840.

#1,978 ·
So if one can equalize the price differential, then the clear choice in your opinion would be the Sony 665ES. I actually did that! It was an opportunity to get the Sony for less.

That is impossible to do, unless you found a Sony dealer willing to sell the VW665 below cost. The cost on the Sony VW665 is higher than the street price of the RS600, here in the US.

#1,977 ·
I guess what's most confusing to me is the whole concept of pixel shifting to create "4K Lite". Doesn't this mean that the JVC PJ accepts the native 4K signal (streaming or UHD BD) and then DOWN converts it to 1080p, only to shift the pixels to simulate 4K with 50% of the pixel volume compared with Sony's native 4K display. How can this downward resolution of native 4K material avoid loss of resolution/sharpness which becomes more and more apparent on screens larger than 100", irrespective of the quality of the JVC up-converting engine???

#1,979 ·
[QUOTE

Tom: I understand your question. In the case of Amazon declared UHD HDR from the Samy K8500 app, The image between Auto and on for the HDR setting is the same. If I select HDR off, the screen goes black for a second and then back on it looks washed out, hazy. If I crank down the brightness it will darken the blacks but there is no detail in the shadow regions. switching to auto from OFF the picture goes black for a second and then when it comes on, the image looks perfect now with brightness and color set to 50 or center. I verified this with my test charts too, both for color and PLUGS black at 16. Now if I switch from Auto to ON, there is no blackout of the picture, it just stays on and is the same.
This past week it seems the info on all UHD content I have watched all shows HDR on Amazon. If you see any that does not indicate HDR in the info ( like when you press pause while playing a UHD movie) let me know and I will check it out. I got the impression that Amazon now has all their UHD content updated to HDR meta data.
Also, I use the same projector setting now for UHD movies on Blu Ray as I use for Amazon UHD HDR. Even stopped using my custom settings for the Samsung and set the tools back to Standard with firmware 1007.

With Netflix, the opposite is true indicating none of their UHD content has HDR, at least I have never seen any yet.
So with Netflix, if I select HDR ON the image does go all dark in the darker parts. If I select Auto, the image blacks out and comes back on normal. If I then select OFF it does not black out but just remains the same as Auto telling me that Netflix doesn't send HDR meta data to the Samsung app yet.

I can tell you that based on my test charts the image has changed with 2.205 as my brightness control had to be adjusted to achieve 16 on the pluge chart. That was pretty dramatic. But I also tweaked the color saturation a little as well to bring that into test chart spec. Having Joe Kane's test charts allows me to know where my baseline is and it works well for good color and image on the disks too. Biggest issue I have with these movies is all the special color effects they add. That's why I am hesitant to take seriously many movies for a standard. Some of them are pretty awfully exaggerated on color effects.[/QUOTE]

Don,

Thanks for taking the time to explain what you are seeing with the Samsung K8500/Sony 665ES combination when streaming HDR content on Amazon. I am trying to figure out why what we are seeing with the exact same equipment is so different. I do have my Samsung K8500 feeding its output to my Yamaha RXA-1050 AVR whose output is fed to the 665ES, but that does not explain the difference since all parts of the signal path are complaint with the requirements for HDR+WCG+4k as proven by the fact that when I play back a UHD blu-ray in the Samsung K8500 I do get HDR+WCG+4K. In my case when streaming Amazon content containing HDR I get the same image with the projector's HDR set to Auto or Off. With the projector's HDR set to On, I get a garish dark image. This seems quite different than what you are seeing, and I am puzzled by that. With Netflix streaming content we are seeing exactly the same thing with both of us concluding that Netflix on the Samsung K8500 is not sending out HDR.

The only possibility that I can think of is that somehow the Amazon app on my K8500 did not get updated when Amazon updated the app to include HDR earlier this year. I have selected the Amazon app on my K8500, held the enter button down until I get the dialog offering me the opportunity to update my apps, selected that option, and I am always told that I have the latest apps. In facct, I cannot remember that process ever telling me anything different than that. I cannot figure out how to delete and reinstall the Amazon apps on the K8500. If I could, I would do that. Perhaps I should just do a complete system reset on the Samsung K8500, but I hate to do that except as a last resort.

Any thoughts you may have on this conundrum would be much appreciated.

Tom

#1,980 ·
That is impossible to do, unless you found a Sony dealer willing to sell the VW665 below cost. The cost on the Sony VW665 is higher than the street price of the RS600, here in the US.
Mike you wouldn't be the first time I have been accused of doing the impossible. :D But I think you pretty much guessed it. I didn't ask, but the guy's store is now gone. When I retired my business, I sold quite a bit of dead inventory at 50 cents on the dollar just to get rid of it. Essentially, I was the only bidder. Followed it for a week, and put my bid in less than a minute before it closed.

Perhaps I should just do a complete system reset on the Samsung K8500, but I hate to do that except as a last resort.
Tom, thanks for the reminder. In June or May when I was in contact with Samsung ( one of those rare times I got through ) they said I should do a complete reset of the player. It was in reference to me subscribing to Netflix UHD and not seeing the update. Once I did the New Netflix app updated. Looks the same but this allowed all their UHD content to show up. Maybe the Amazon app did as well. I do recall him saying the apps should update the way you described, but if that doesn't work do the reset and reload everything.

Seems to me if you are seeing the "HDR" show up on the Amazon UHD programming it should be the proper app. If you do not see the "HDR" pop up in the lower left corner when you hit the pause button then maybe the reset is called for.

#1,998 ·
docrog- Agree with Mike. If you have seen the JVC and like it's image, then the 365, won't be as bright. That, as I saw was the big difference compared to the 665. And, the "experts" here all were claiming that for HDR you want as much light output as you can get. If money is a deciding factor, then the JVC will get you more light for the buck.

I never saw the JVC 600 before purchasing the 665, but I did the A/B years ago between the RS60 and the Sony 90 and there was no contest. The JVC sucked, especially in 3D which was my main desire. I understand from those who have the JVC they fixed all the problems I saw in that earlier JVC. But as Mike put the hard sell on me here, he had to learn there were other issues besides picture that ruled out the RS600. These issues probably would not matter to you. One that might is if you want to use it with Games, like the XBOX Kinnect or PS Move. the lag time for the JVC is impossible. I had that verified by several sources. There were other issues too including bulb cost but Mike proved me wrong on the cost of the JVC bulb.

before I made my final decision, joerod posted some great review from the perspective of a consumer, not a lab tech with instruments. It was his review that I trusted. Prior, I was still looking at the 1100 and due to the cost was still out of reach for my budget. I really wanted under $10K. Your deadline to decide is personal but I do smell a political deadline that could trigger some really bad price increases for Japanese imports next year. It's more about currency manipulation than our election result but that issue also weighed on my decision to buy this year rather than next.

Reactions: G-Rex and joerod
#2,006 ·
The RS60 did not compare very well. It had some problems with light output (not very bright) and lamp issues. I think even JVC fanboys would have picked the Sony. :)

#2,007 · (Edited)
I'd venture a guess that this new 4K model will outsell the 5000ES. At around half the cost (we still don't know the actual MSRP) it's going to offer an option for those who can't afford something selling for roughly double the cost. We also know JVC heavily discounts off of their MSRP, so I think a lot of people will actually buy it. Like I said, they made the right choice to enter the market now considering that HDMI and BDA formats have been finalized. You want to attack JVC here, but have you ever thought about why no other companies were releasing native 4K projectors as well? It was an odd move for Sony to enter the native 4K market THAT early when there was no content for them to use the extra pixels with. On top of that they had legacy hardware meant for 1080p standards.

You seem to be arguing that just because it's 4K it has to have a better image. Up until this year, we haven't had quality UHD source material to watch so most of us were watching 1080p bluray. You can't make 1080p "better" by scaling it. You can only hope that the scaling method used doesn't do harm to the integrity of what detail is already in the source.

#2,021 ·
Difference about the jvc laser thread is it does not exist yet. These Sony projectors do.

I would love to keep this up all day with you two (something tells me you would) but I am heading down to watch my overly bright 5000ES and take a movie break.

We have friends coming over later to watch Junglebook 3D this evening. I will try and be happy with what I got and not worry about another brand. To bad you can't. Lol

#2,022 · (Edited)
I am sure Seegs does enjoy his projector, but that doesn't mean he can't do fair criticism and point out weaknesses it may have in an objective manner. Sometimes it can perhaps seem like there are no positives with a projector in debates focusing only on nit-pick negatives like this, but that's obviously false and I think most people are aware of the underlying truth that these machines throw a fantastic image, and that these weaknesses mostly are smaller issues. After all this is is a forum where enthusiasts gather to push for the absolute best in image, sound and immersion.

And this a very important aspect of a forum like this - to not just a have huge congratulatory circle of people in different "brand camps" clapping eachother on the back, not willing to compare and discuss various aspects of image quality in their own and other projectors in a reasonable and polite way. Not a lot of good discussions or sharing of knowledge come out of that. :)

#2,032 ·
the JVC is still 1080 with e-shift.
I was not aware of that, if I understand what you are saying. I thought the RS600 had panels that were just not 4096, but at least 2160 x 3840. Are you saying the JVC is a 1080x1920 machine and their e-shift upscales it to 2160x3840? Sorry for my ignorance on the JVC, but I just never really looked into the details of it since other factors disqualified it for my needs.

#2,033 ·
#2,040 ·
There is a lengthy discussion in the 1000ES thread that talks about the issue and there are photos of the issue there if you have further curiosity into the issue.
I'm not in the habit of surfing the other owner's theads to read the rumors and comments on those projectors. Just not enough time. I did see the 1000 some years ago and at the time thought it looked like a pretty decent projector. But it was way out of my budget then as it is today. I will check out the reference out of curiosity to see what all the concern is about. I just hope it isn't one of those artifacts I don't see until someone points it out to me and then I can't unsee it. :)

I made lot of enemies many years ago when people were claiming there was no such thing as rainbows on DLP. So I explained how to see them and after that people were upset because every time they looked at their DLP all they saw were the rainbows. A few of them were quite seriously angry because they could no longer unsee them.

#2,046 ·
Which is what I thought at some stage too. Prices are different for good reasons.

#2,054 ·
I've owned both, to be honest could not tell you one was noisier. The RS600 is a little brighter than the VW500 unless you are pushing screen size boundaries then both will work just fine.

#2,057 ·
Dear jabz,

Thanks for taking the time to make photos.

If for you the UHB DB looks better than the BD, you have a problem.
UHD image is duller and the colors of the images are presented in the same way in my projector.

This same image on a projector JVC DLA-X5000 (or JVC DLA-X7000) is more vividly than the Sony.

And yes, I'm an industry professional and Sony gives me the right that the 520ES (665ES) is not prepared to 100 x 100 to project content HDR.

In fact, two of my web workers have sold the Sony 520ES due to problems when displaying HDR. I'm still keeping my room.

In fact, we just launched the VPL-VW550ES model at IFA Berlin, a projector that has been made to remedy the shortcomings of 520ES (665ES).
http://presscentre.sony.es/pressreleases/nuevo-proyector-de-home-cinema-vpl-vw550es-sxrd-4k-1541178

One thing is clear, the Sony 520ES (665ES) is almost unbeatable at the time of displaying images 1080p, but with content HDR is a big problem that Sony engineers have been unsuccessful, and could therefore not support 10bit nor can reach 18 GB, or the color profile BT2020 is correct.

#2,058 ·
drdig- I agree with your assessment of the posted photos as seen. I don't know what the problem is but IMO, the fiest one of the aramount scene with the BD93 looks the best and is close to how I see my scene with the Samsung K8500 BT2020 HDR "ON" My BD93 looks about the same with a little less color saturation using BT709 setting for HD disks.

If I had to guess, jabz, I would say you definitly could use a professional calibrator visit, or take the time with the tools yourself. There are other clues too that not too much time was spent in projector setup. The image appears to indicate a 665ES that is not level. The 665ES lacks keystone correction so you have to mechanically level the projector. I realize your photo was taken off center axis but I looked beyond that. While this does not affect the colors it indicates the system is not yet aligned all the way around.

The washed out look from the Panasonic does indicate an incorrect profile being used in the projector. FWIW- I begin by using the "Bright Cinema" profile for HDR "ON" and BT2020. Lamp set to High. But I verify and calibrate my black level with a PLUGE test chart. I use a BT2020 test chart for calibrating the colors with a match on "blue screen glasses" for color chip balance. Once calibrated the image I get is vibrant, no colors clipping in the brightest parts and the blacks have good gradients 16 and higher. My white chart has good gradients in the range of 235 to 254. And that results in very good clouds detail, similar to what you are seeing in your BD93 Paramount photo. Note: proper test chart use requires training. Plenty of good YT videos on that.

I think your BT709 from the BD93 Oppo looks great for color spread. With that setup, your white PLUGE chart should extend to 235, not 254. It is important to not over adjust contrast beyond the maximum just to see 235 gradient. If you adjust beyond that, it will only result in a clipping of whites or a posterized look in your white clouds. 8 bit color is limited to 235 on whites.

Now having said the above, I personally don't believe these photos people post, including my own are accurate representation of what our eyes see in the room. If my experience with taking pictures of the screen is any measure, then what you are seeing in person probably looks a bit better than what the camera captures. Probably any number of photographic reasons this is true but some differences are obvious. What I see obvious is the BT709 color looks right and the BT2020 is way out of calibration in your photos. The geometry is off and maybe you are not using the right profile for BT2020 as presented with the Panasonic. Hopefully you can find some clues here to fix and give you a better experience with your Panasonic. I wouldn't change anything on the BD93 setup, however.

#2,066 · (Edited)
Don Landis, thank you for your comment. Anyway, we are not talking about convergence, if not colorimetry. It is clear that a picture taken with a smartphone is not perfect, but in this case gives the necessary information: the difference in color between BD and UHD BD.

Both agree that the colorimetry offered by the Panasonic 900 is seen in the pictures tends to red, as seen in the clouds, and that's what I meant when I started this.

Personally, I like it more as you see the Blu-ray of this film that the UHD Blu-ray.

I wish you'd tell me how you calibrated your projector for viewing BD content UHD with HDR, if you please.

#2,060 ·
Ok I give up, the only point of posting these was to address the concern of over saturation of Red that @drdig keeps bringing up, with the Panasonic DMP900 and Sony 520ES that is all. If he can't see that then I can't help.
These are photos from an iPhone they no way represent 4K HDR vs 1080P picture quality, and I don't intend to get into a discussion comparing them for that purpose. The geometry is not off, I took these sitting down, handheld with an iPhone.
Do you think I'd settle using a $20K projector that is not level jeeze...

Reactions: mirodk
#2,061 ·
Ok I give up, the only point of posting these was to address the concern of over saturation of Red that @drdig keeps bringing up, with the Panasonic DMP900 and Sony 520ES that is all. If he can't see that then I can't help.
These are photos from an iPhone they no way represent 4K HDR vs 1080P picture quality, and I don't intend to get into a discussion comparing them for that purpose. The geometry is not off, I took these sitting down, handheld with an iPhone.
Do you think I'd settle using a $20K projector that is not level jeeze...
You cannot necessarily judge anything from pictures taken with a camera especially an iphone. You really have to know what you are doing to get an accurate representation of what is on the screen , any camera in auto mode will compensate for the light available, white balance settings etc. Judging by what I see, I would have said something similar. The reference to geometry is probably meant to be settings ,I don't think the angle of the picture is relevant. Don't jump to any conclusions, he's making comments on what he sees and that may be very inaccurate. Basically he's trying to help, don't take it personal .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.