AVS Forum banner

Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread

2M views 34K replies 834 participants last post by  Dominic Chan 
#1 · (Edited)
It seems like Australia got the first shipments!

I received my X9000 yesterday and I am very happy with my first impressions. On turning it on I was surprised at the brightness and sharpness of this projector. I have had all of the last 3 generations and this is the biggest step up that I have experienced

The out of the box calibration was excellent with a very flat grey scale and slightly over saturated gamut.

The best news is that the brightness is as good or better than expected. I am at around mid throw and measured 1800 lumens Calibrated on high lamp and 1300 lumens on low lamp. This compares to 900 lumens (low lamp) that I got on the X900.

The convergence is not perfect on the sides but within half a pixel. I saw much worse on one of the X900 units.

The only disappointment so far in that the time to sync a new frequency has roughly doubled on my system to around 15 seconds.

I have attached a calibration report of the out of the box performance.
It is possible that this would have been even better if I had entered the screen compensation value.

I did a very quick 3D LUT calibration and the difference between it and the OTB setting were imperceptible on my short viewing

[Post=39521362]JVC RS600 - Manual download, Menu settings explanation, basic getting started info
[/Post]

[Post=39782218]JVC RS600 -Observations after 75 hours
[/Post]

[Post=39856938]2016 JVC X-talk info
[/Post]

Mobile Manual:

http://manual3.jvckenwood.com/projector/mobile/global/

[post=39729042]JVC Calibration Software V6 For 2015 Models
[/post]

Information on Viewing UHD Content for D-ILA Projector DLA-X950R, X750R, X550R, X9000, X7000, X5000, XC7890R, XC6890R, XC5890R, RS600, RS500, RS400:

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...rs400_uhd.html

Specific instructions on requirements for firmware update:

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...dure_u83.2.pdf

Attachments

See less See more
#3,801 ·
Yeah I read your post. What's the distance b/w where your projector is now vs when it was on the ceiling? In my case I have an 87" ceiling and with 4" mount pipe and 4.5" projector height, its about 11" above the top of screen.
It's about 36 inches lower now...little below the horizontal center line of 63 inch high screen.

Another positive byproduct is I notice less sparklies from my 1.3 gain screen. Still there, but less prominent

#3,802 ·
I paused on a detailed image from The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies and in real content couldn't tell the difference between memory 1, memory 2, or off. I got right up to the screen and still couldn't see any change in sharpness or color. I looked at a few other scenes, too. The only time I see a difference is with text, a 1 pixel pattern, and the background of programs or webpages would shift color slightly. With text it is more easy to see a difference with eShift on than off.
Thanks.

So, if I read that right, you are saying that adjusting convergence to perfection using fine pixel adjust doesn't actually yield any noticeable improvements on real world viewing (e.g. movie) content?

Also: I'm still not sure if, even if it did make a difference, if in my case it's rendered moot by my re-sizing my image. I re-size from between 102" 16:9 diagonal all the way to 125" wide for scope.
I wonder if I chose a 1/2 point image size, did fine pixel adjust, whether it would still yield dividends or whether it would put the color off as the image zooms/shifts.
(And...is this color shifting only the case when using fine pixel adjust? It doesn't happen when re-zooming/shifting using whole pixel adjusting, or just leaving convergence alone)?

I remember a review Doug Blackburn did of a JVC where he extolled the virtue of using fine pixel adjust - that it led to a perceptibly sharper image. This is one reason why I've always wanted to get around to trying it.

#3,803 ·
Try Enhance at 2, Dynamic Contrast at 2, Smoothing at 2, and NR at 5, with Clear Black on. Been binge watching Homeland on Blu Ray and the picture is as sharp as any other projector I've had here. I see image noise watching Gravity even with the VW600. That noise goes away when watching in 3D, which I found interesting.

You should be done by now shouldn't you (killer isn't it?)!? :p

#3,805 ·
You should be done by now shouldn't you (killer isn't it?)!? :p

Done with what - rebuilding my theater ( swapped the mounting positions of my 2.35:1 and 16:9 screens last night - now the 2.35:1 is closer ) ? Or Homeland ? I bought all 4 seasons of Homeland on Blu Ray - we are about 1/2 way through season 2. And I already lent season 1 to friends that helped move the screens last night - they will be hooked shortly !!

#3,806 ·
Done with what - rebuilding my theater ( swapped the mounting positions of my 2.35:1 and 16:9 screens last night - now the 2.35:1 is closer ) ? Or Homeland ? I bought all 4 seasons of Homeland on Blu Ray - we are about 1/2 way through season 2. And I already lent season 1 to friends that helped move the screens last night - they will be hooked shortly !!
Craig - do you have a value entered for the screen correction on your 600 for your Ciima NEVE screen? I noticed this is not on the JVC list.

#3,807 ·
Wow glad to see two HDMI's but no mention of ATMOS (or os that just a given?)? Not bad for $4 Benji's (not crazy about the "Sammy curved" front tho). :rolleyes:

Audio Processing
============
DOLBY DIGITAL
7.1 Channel
DOLBY TRUE HD
DTS-HD
If you Bitstream out of the disc player your AV Receiver (assuming Atmos capable) will take care of the decoding.

#3,808 ·
Craig - do you have a value entered for the screen correction on your 600 for your Ciima NEVE screen? I noticed this is not on the JVC list.

I was thinking about this today. The Cima is close to the StudioTek 130, and since I also have a StudioTek 130 screen, I'll probably just use that setting. I have been watching with the screen setting off so far.

#3,809 ·
Try Enhance at 2, Dynamic Contrast at 2, Smoothing at 2, and NR at 5, with Clear Black on. Been binge watching Homeland on Blu Ray and the picture is as sharp as any other projector I've had here. I see image noise watching Gravity even with the VW600. That noise goes away when watching in 3D, which I found interesting.

I think last time you mentioned to make all of them to 0 when you were trying to get rid of the noise. I guess you played around more and came with these final values? What about e-Shift? Before you mentioned to keep it on. Do you still have it on?

#3,810 ·
I'm tired of it, but I'd certainly look at another sample if I had the chance.

The problem is whether it's a fruitless task or not. It seems plenty of other people are seeing similar things with the new JVCs, and for those who don't it's hard to know whether they are not looking as closely, aren't as sensitive, more forgiving, or just don't care so much. Maybe there are better units - maybe there aren't. Hard to know.
Rich, would you consider using Deja Vu's contact he made with that Canadian Sales VP or whatever he met at that show? He specifically asked on your behalf and the guy seemed to say it wasn't right and he wanted to know about QC issues with the Canadian models going out (or something like that) Have you got a story for him. At this point for your extra $2,000 spent and the duress and hassle of receiving two sub par "reference, hand picked parts" RS600s.... if it were me I'd think he ought to have someone QC another unit and make sure it's not sub par and get it to you. And take care of your dealer. I'd be going bonkers myself at JVC over this. Call him, be nice, and what have you got to lose? I'll leave you alone with it now, as I know you're not asking for my 2 cents on this.

#3,812 ·
I think last time you mentioned to make all of them to 0 when you were trying to get rid of the noise. I guess you played around more and came with these final values? What about e-Shift? Before you mentioned to keep it on. Do you still have it on?
I do have E shift on. Zombie mentioned that having NR off might add noise. So, I've been doing tests using MI : Ghost Protocol - the movie I first noticed film grain / noise issues. I know the noisiest scenes by heart now ! :eek: Anyway, All settings at 2 other than NR at 5 and Clear Black on, removed noise / film grain to the point that it isn't any noisier than my VW600. Still plenty sharp. Try those settings.

#3,813 · (Edited)
I'm sorry people are having some troubles. It certainly would be frustrating.

In not way am I saying you aren't having troubles. But, for the reader just dropping in, I do want to toss out that there are good things...

1) I'm still amazed at the sharpness of my RS500 image.
2) I'm not seeing unwanted noise (or film grain)
3) I've even found the RS500 can be used to play some games (I've played a few hours of Dark Souls 2 and it's ok)
4) I've had no HDMI issues
5) 4k content looks amazing (see my post from a few days ago with a pic from 2 feet away)
6) It's very quiet
7) 3D looks amazing (although I did have an odd start to my 3D experience)
8) The picture is just stunning
9) I'm leaving e-shift enabled all the time (except when running test patterns)
10) The motorized lens (shift, zoom, focus) just gives a touch of class. It's amazing how poor feeling the equivalent was on my older (non-4k) Sony.

I've taken a different approach with my RS500 and my previous projectors. I did a basic sanity check but didn't go looking for problems. Previously I wanted to look for every "flaw". And I found some and they nagged me for the 4 years I had my previous projector. This time I've evaluated by a few test patterns (focus/convergence, brightness/contrast, and some others from AVS709 and Disney WoW).

Just so you don't think I'm just pushing the positives, I have 2 negatives

1) Regarding bright corners, this is my biggest complaint. I'm not going out of my way to investigate it (per above). 99% of the time I don't see it, but I have seen it a couple of times w/real content from seating position. I think running without the DI makes it more obvious. But oddly, i've watched parts of Gravity and the first Star Trek reboot and never noticed the corners.
2) I've seen flicker in the image (bright scenes). I'm currently running with the DI disabled to see if this makes the flicker go away (which may have made the bright corners more visible)

#3,814 ·
Good point. But I read so many reviews that pointed out how sharp the image looks. But then again they might be comparing it with previous JVC and not sony. On the other hand the image Zombie uploaded of Exodus looks absolutely stunning and Sharp. @zombie10k , what's the secret of that sharp image ;-) ????
I was just messing around with my RS600 and some clips from Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. In my opinion, the JVC is definitely not as sharp as my Sony 600 was. However, I will say the increased blacks makes me not miss the sharpness as much as I initially thought I would. Once my JVC is calibrated, I also expect to see a noticeable improvement in the overall image as well. As I think many people have said, pixel counts aren't the deal breaker with projectors these days :)

#3,815 ·
I see a lot of people asking what setting for this, what setting for that? What is right!!!! When it comes to the "display enhancement settings" the problem here is THERE IS NO RIGHT SETTING! I guess the best answer would be OFF, since these are all "display enhancements" and are to be used SUBJECTIVELY (meaning YOUR preference, not someone elses). There are so many people here that want someone else to make up their mind for them when it comes to an image that only you are seeing. I see people talking about the image not being sharp or being noisy or not calm. It is nice when these are used in comparison to something else, like the comparisons to the Sony's. I find those more helpful although I still scratch my head a bit as I have both the new Sony here and the new JVC here and I don't see any difference in the image in terms of "calmness". I also find them about the same in overall sharpness, with the overall win going toward the JVC in this regard, but I think this has more to do with the ability to focus the JVC better given the lousy lens controls on the Sony.

Realize that every piece of software is different and some movies are going to look one way and others another. That includes noise, grain, color, detail, and just about everything else. I was watching Pan the other night and was blown away by how inconsistent the image detail is in that movie. One scene looks razor sharp, the next looks like a DVD. I see this a lot with movies and chock it up to either the focus puller or something they did in post or different cameras used in the same sequence. I already know the projector is dialed in and focused, so I don't stress it.

The MPC controls are for dialing an image in TO YOUR TASTE. Start with the defaults with material you're really familiar with and play around with them. The only wrong settings here are the ones that result in picture artifacts that you don't like. For example, I've found that the dynamic contrast setting will create imaging pumping that most would probably think is coming from the dynamic iris, but it isn't. I figured this out because I watched something that had obvious image pumping so I turned off the DI to make sure it was the cause and not something in the source material. It didn't go away. Then I turned off ALL the other display enhancements just to be sure, and it was gone. I turned them on one by one and presto! Dynamic contrast!

Remember everyone here has different setups, different rooms, sources, calibrations, sensitivities, etc. Everyone cues in to something different when they watch an image. Unless you are doing objective testing with instrumentation you should learn to just trust your own eyes when you setup your equipment. The right settings for stuff like this is the one that gives YOU the best image, who cares what the other guys like, they are just doing trial and error too. Same goes with eShift. Turn it on and off with content you are familiar with and see if it looks better or worse for you, who cares if it looks better in someone else's setup that is nothing like yours!

#3,816 ·
I also have a sneaking suspicion that the reason most people here keep saying that the Sony's look sharper is the fact that there is no way around scaling on the Sony's with 1080p material. So you are processing the image regardless and probably adding some sharpness in (almost unavoidable with the Sony RC).The last 4 JVCs I've owned have been tack sharp and held their own against every Sony I've A/B'ed them with, including the fantastic 1100ES. Do the Sony's look soft? Not a chance! They look fantastic when setup properly! But the last thing I think when comparing them directly and setup well is that the JVC's look soft in any way. I think this is a function of setup more than anything else, both for the Sony and the JVCs.

#3,817 ·
... I also find them about the same in overall sharpness, with the overall win going toward the JVC in this regard, but I think this has more to do with the ability to focus the JVC better given the lousy lens controls on the Sony. ...
Oh my! You made me think of another thing that's nice about the RS500. The motorized focus, zoom and shift. They are VERY NICE.

I don't know about the high end 4k Sony's but the lens movement "dials" on the HW30/HW55 are so low quality feeling it's almost shocking.

#3,818 ·
Oh my! You made me think of another thing that's nice about the RS500. The motorized focus, zoom and shift. They are VERY NICE.

I don't know about the high end 4k Sony's but the lens movement "dials" on the HW30/HW55 are so low quality feeling it's almost shocking.
Probably the same. The Sony's just don't allow for the same fine control and you end up hunting with frustration. Not even close in this regard.

#3,819 ·
I was just messing around with my RS600 and some clips from Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. In my opinion, the JVC is definitely not as sharp as my Sony 600 was. However, I will say the increased blacks makes me not miss the sharpness as much as I initially thought I would. Once my JVC is calibrated, I also expect to see a noticeable improvement in the overall image as well. As I think many people have said, pixel counts aren't the deal breaker with projectors these days :)
Pixel counts in not a big deal. But I don't think this image noise is related to pixel count. I mean Both Gravity and Exodus are 1080P movie. Exodus has absolutely no noise while Gravity does. Its definitely the material issue. But Sony does one hell of a job hiding the material issue while JVC is basically saying "Garbage in Garbage out".

#3,820 ·
I see a lot of people asking what setting for this, what setting for that? What is right!!!! When it comes to the "display enhancement settings" the problem here is THERE IS NO RIGHT SETTING! I guess the best answer would be OFF, since these are all "display enhancements" and are to be used SUBJECTIVELY (meaning YOUR preference, not someone elses). There are so many people here that want someone else to make up their mind for them when it comes to an image that only you are seeing. I see people talking about the image not being sharp or being noisy or not calm. It is nice when these are used in comparison to something else, like the comparisons to the Sony's. I find those more helpful although I still scratch my head a bit as I have both the new Sony here and the new JVC here and I don't see any difference in the image in terms of "calmness". I also find them about the same in overall sharpness, with the overall win going toward the JVC in this regard, but I think this has more to do with the ability to focus the JVC better given the lousy lens controls on the Sony.

Realize that every piece of software is different and some movies are going to look one way and others another. That includes noise, grain, color, detail, and just about everything else. I was watching Pan the other night and was blown away by how inconsistent the image detail is in that movie. One scene looks razor sharp, the next looks like a DVD. I see this a lot with movies and chock it up to either the focus puller or something they did in post or different cameras used in the same sequence. I already know the projector is dialed in and focused, so I don't stress it.

The MPC controls are for dialing an image in TO YOUR TASTE. Start with the defaults with material you're really familiar with and play around with them. The only wrong settings here are the ones that result in picture artifacts that you don't like. For example, I've found that the dynamic contrast setting will create imaging pumping that most would probably think is coming from the dynamic iris, but it isn't. I figured this out because I watched something that had obvious image pumping so I turned off the DI to make sure it was the cause and not something in the source material. It didn't go away. Then I turned off ALL the other display enhancements just to be sure, and it was gone. I turned them on one by one and presto! Dynamic contrast!

Remember everyone here has different setups, different rooms, sources, calibrations, sensitivities, etc. Everyone cues in to something different when they watch an image. Unless you are doing objective testing with instrumentation you should learn to just trust your own eyes when you setup your equipment. The right settings for stuff like this is the one that gives YOU the best image, who cares what the other guys like, they are just doing trial and error too. Same goes with eShift. Turn it on and off with content you are familiar with and see if it looks better or worse for you, who cares if it looks better in someone else's setup that is nothing like yours!

I look at these settings like religion - " Do No Harm ". So, I agree - play around with them. I saw excessive film grain noise and turned them all off, which made the noise go away. I then added the settings back in a little at a time until I liked the picture but no noise was added back. Easy to do. I agree with movies having sharp and not so sharp scenes - it's getting easier and easier to see where a camera was not focused razor sharp. But good depth of field shots look great.