AVS Forum banner

Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread

2M views 34K replies 834 participants last post by  Dominic Chan 
#1 · (Edited)
It seems like Australia got the first shipments!

I received my X9000 yesterday and I am very happy with my first impressions. On turning it on I was surprised at the brightness and sharpness of this projector. I have had all of the last 3 generations and this is the biggest step up that I have experienced

The out of the box calibration was excellent with a very flat grey scale and slightly over saturated gamut.

The best news is that the brightness is as good or better than expected. I am at around mid throw and measured 1800 lumens Calibrated on high lamp and 1300 lumens on low lamp. This compares to 900 lumens (low lamp) that I got on the X900.

The convergence is not perfect on the sides but within half a pixel. I saw much worse on one of the X900 units.

The only disappointment so far in that the time to sync a new frequency has roughly doubled on my system to around 15 seconds.

I have attached a calibration report of the out of the box performance.
It is possible that this would have been even better if I had entered the screen compensation value.

I did a very quick 3D LUT calibration and the difference between it and the OTB setting were imperceptible on my short viewing

[Post=39521362]JVC RS600 - Manual download, Menu settings explanation, basic getting started info
[/Post]

[Post=39782218]JVC RS600 -Observations after 75 hours
[/Post]

[Post=39856938]2016 JVC X-talk info
[/Post]

Mobile Manual:

http://manual3.jvckenwood.com/projector/mobile/global/

[post=39729042]JVC Calibration Software V6 For 2015 Models
[/post]

Information on Viewing UHD Content for D-ILA Projector DLA-X950R, X750R, X550R, X9000, X7000, X5000, XC7890R, XC6890R, XC5890R, RS600, RS500, RS400:

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...rs400_uhd.html

Specific instructions on requirements for firmware update:

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...dure_u83.2.pdf

Attachments

See less See more
#8,741 ·
BTW - Just checked Amazon and at least the US release shows being DTS:X. I've ordered it to verify…

Yes, as I said the Well Go US version gets the DTS:X track, that's the one in Amazon and that's the one Ralph is going to review ;)

#8,742 ·
Surface Pro 4 Windows 10 64 bit -> Staples adapter (Com 3) -> Radiance N/M Cable (looks like a Startech N/M cable)

Ran JVC application as administrator, no issues flashing an RS400 and the RS600. All other cables disconnected from both projectors before proceeding. took about 3 mins, closed app, power cycled both projectors. no issues.

I'd be interested in your opinion (and anyone else for that matter) on the JVC with HDR after the firmware update. How does it compare to just SDR (UHD and 1080p standard blu-ray).

(I accidentally posted this in the RS400 thread. I since deleted that post and posted here as intended.)

#8,743 ·
Looks like JVC added this line to the instructions: Procedure Details:
Note: Remove all cables from the projector prior to starting this
procedure with the exception of the power cable.
I had weird HDMI lockup issues updating the firmware on my VW600 with it still connected to my receiver and Oppo BR player once. Thought I'd bricked the VW600. Best to unplug everything.

#8,744 ·
Looks like JVC added this line to the instructions: Procedure Details:
Note: Remove all cables from the projector prior to starting this
procedure with the exception of the power cable.
Yes and in BIG red letters. It was added since I d/l the instructions yesterday PM.

#8,745 ·
I have been unclear in my mind whether it will be worth my while upgrading to UHDBD and this may have made my decision for me. I have a relatively small screen (110" diagonal) in a small velvet lined room and high lamp mode is way too bright. It sounds like HDR is not going to be doable for me.

TBH this may not be a terrible result as I really have no issues with the quality of BluRay or the dynamic range and brightness of the picture I'm achieving.
Remember, HDR does not make the overall picture brighter. The average level will be about the same as what you see right now.

It allows for highlights that are lighter and it allows for 10 bit or 12 bit signals, which means everything should look better, not just the highlights.

That said, the implementation on our projectors is not ideal (yet?).

#8,746 ·
Has anyone noticed any impact to their existing calibrations when doing the firmware update?

#8,747 ·
If a cable and converter are working to update a Lumagen Pro will they work for sure with the new JVCs too?
Just to be clear, the new Radiance Pro comes with a USB cable only. The USB to serial adapter resides inside the Radiance Pro.

No such function resides inside the JVC projecter. That's the reason for the external converter.

If you've an earlier Radiance it may only have been capable of update via the same combination of external converter and null modem cables described already. That was true of my recently retired Radiance XS.

Reactions: Manni01
#8,748 ·
I spoke with JVC this morning, 1st rep was not overly familiar with the product or the update but he said they would forward to engineering in California. I received a call back 5 minutes later from the customer liaison who was familiar with the update and seemed to think this was a cable issue and not a "Service" issue. He was going to check with the engineers and get back to me. I felt much more confident after speaking with him. So at this point I have no new info. I have ordered a 10 ft null modem cable to give me some flexibility to retry tomorrow. So at this point it is a wait and see rather than "send the unit in"
Interesting that they'd point to a cable as a guilty party. Did the application appear to succeed or fail? If it gave you the expected response of success and you closed out the application yet the lights on the projector did not change as expected then I'd blame the coder of the app rather than any hardware for failing to identify a glitch in the latter. Usually it's due to insufficient testing of both JVC's hardware and the converter/cable that is being used. The JVC should identify a problem well before it tries to do an update. One of the reasons for having a before/after set of nvram slots is so that in the event of something going wrong, you can always return to prior/working software. I'm guessing the new JVC's may not have implemented such a design. Certainly hope I'm wrong, so you haven't been put into a position of sending the unit back to JVC.

#8,749 ·
I did the update this weekend without a hitch. Used the same Keyspan USB to serial adapter I've used for years and the null modem cable that came with my previous Radiance. Update only took a couple minutes and I followed the directions in the JVC instructions to the letter. Haven't had the chance to test anything yet as I had a lot of family stuff this weekend. Plan on doing a bunch of testing this week of both the JVC and the update to the Radiance Pro.

#8,750 ·
Hi guys. Question related to calibration.
I had my projected calibrated. I wanted to now revert it back to the way it was before it was calibrated (for certain reasons). I see that the calibrator setup a profile for me. When that profile is selected, it sets the Color Profile/Temp/Gamma/Brightness/Contrast and some MPC settings.

If I wanted to see how my projected looked like before calibration, can I just select one of the predefined profiles (say Natural) and that's it? Or after calibration, there are certain aspects that are changed and can only be reverted by a factory reset?

Thx.

#8,751 ·
Hi guys. Question related to calibration.
I had my projected calibrated. I wanted to now revert it back to the way it was before it was calibrated (for certain reasons). I see that the calibrator setup a profile for me. When that profile is selected, it sets the Color Profile/Temp/Gamma/Brightness/Contrast and some MPC settings.

If I wanted to see how my projected looked like before calibration, can I just select one of the predefined profiles (say Natural) and that's it? Or after calibration, there are certain aspects that are changed and can only be reverted by a factory reset?

Thx.
It depends what you calibrator did.

If it only used the internal controls, then you only have to select user modes, color temp modes, gamma modes he hasn't touched to compare with his calibration.

So if he created a calibration for you in user1, you can select user 2, pick the standard colour profile, the 6500k color temp profile and a gamma temp profile (say 2.2 or 2.3) to compare with an out of the box calibration.

To be sure you could do a reset to factory and that would wipe out all his changes.

If, however, he's used the JVC Autocal software, there a reset to factory isn't enough, you also have to restore the backup that was made when the first autocal was done. Without this backup file with the pre-autocal settings, there is no way to go back to factory defaults, at least for the user.

#8,752 ·
It depends what you calibrator did.

If it only used the internal controls, then you only have to select user modes, color temp modes, gamma modes he hasn't touched to compare with his calibration.

So if he created a calibration for you in user1, you can select user 2, pick the standard colour profile, the 6500k color temp profile and a gamma temp profile (say 2.2 or 2.3) to compare with an out of the box calibration.

To be sure you could do a reset to factory and that would wipe out all his changes.

If, however, he's used the JVC Autocal software, there a reset to factory isn't enough, you also have to restore the backup that was made when the first autocal was done. Without this backup file with the pre-autocal settings, there is no way to go back to factory defaults, at least for the user.
He did use JVC Autocal. Also, he didn't give me any backup file. If he doesn't have the backup file, then that's it? There is no way for me to go back to the way it was before calibration?

#8,753 ·
He did use JVC Autocal. Also, he didn't give me any backup file. If he doesn't have the backup file, then that's it? There is no way for me to go back to the way it was before calibration?
Correct, BUT, the autocal isn't that massively different than I would expect the out of box settings would have been. The calibrator more than likely did the autocalibration but then did his own tweaks to the menus after that to fine tune. I would still suggest you follow Manni's advice and select a different user preset with the defaults and go from there. I doubt the autocalibration made a massive enough difference that you'd have to be worried about it being completely undone. But YMMV.

#8,754 ·
No, without the initial backup file you can't go back to the before calibration state, even with a reset to factory.

Correct, BUT, the autocal isn't that massively different than I would expect the out of box settings would have been. The calibrator more than likely did the autocalibration but then did his own tweaks to the menus after that to fine tune. I would still suggest you follow Manni's advice and select a different user preset with the defaults and go from there. I doubt the autocalibration made a massive enough difference that you'd have to be worried about it being completely undone. But YMMV.
It completely depends on the state of the projector before the calibration. If the projector had a few hours on the lamp, the difference was likely not massive, but if the projector had more than 50-100 hours on the difference can be significant, especially for gamma.

However, if the calibrator did the autocal properly with a reasonably accurate Spyder4, it should have improved things, not made them worse.

SherazNJ, why do you want to go back to OOTB settings, any reason?

#8,755 ·
Agreed Manni. I can't imagine the auto cal making things any worse overall for starting over again using the standard menu options, unless the meter was REALLY bad.

#8,756 ·
SherazNJ, why do you want to go back to OOTB settings, any reason?
Agreed Manni. I can't imagine the auto cal making things any worse overall for starting over again using the standard menu options, unless the meter was REALLY bad.
It might not have but I have been facing a few issues and wanted to know if it had anything to do with calibration since I didn't see them before or may be didn't pay attention. One major issue I face is the focus uniformity. I see it many times. Scenes where camera is focusing a face, its crystal clear but scenes where camera zooms out and you can see 2/3 people, I can see certain parts get blurry.

2nd thing I notice is whitish layer in certain scenes. Specially in movie "Spectre". I saw scenes where it felt like scene has extra white layer on it. I used calibrated profile and then I switched to my profile. In either case I saw that white layer. It can be a part of the movie but it looked bad enough that its hard to imagine that it'd be a part of movie. There were many scenes there it looked as if someone cracked up the Brightness on it. The profile that I setup myself using AVS Forum disc, I made sure that the brightness and contrast is setup accordingly.

Yesterday, I turned off the Pixel Adjustment. I found that option at the very end of movie and therefore I don't know it would fix the focus uniformity issue.

#8,757 ·
Spectre is a horrible movie to judge contrast with, the darker scenes look elevated and washed out, it is the source, not the projector. If you are worried about focus uniformity look at a focus pattern on the AVS test disc after you've had the projector on for at least 20 minutes or so. Focus in content can vary GREATLY from scene to scene, so it is not a reliable source. Especially since movies use different types of cameras and lenses in the same film. Close ups may look fantastic with longer shots looking soft. This is why you'll see some filmmakers use something like 70mm for long shots only but 35mm for close ups and the rest of the film. It helps keep a consistent look to detail.

#8,759 ·
Spectre is a horrible movie to judge contrast with, the darker scenes look elevated and washed out, it is the source, not the projector. If you are worried about focus uniformity look at a focus pattern on the AVS test disc after you've had the projector on for at least 20 minutes or so. Focus in content can vary GREATLY from scene to scene, so it is not a reliable source. Especially since movies use different types of cameras and lenses in the same film. Close ups may look fantastic with longer shots looking soft. This is why you'll see some filmmakers use something like 70mm for long shots only but 35mm for close ups and the rest of the film. It helps keep a consistent look to detail.
Thx. Is there a good source (movie) I can use to verify?