AVS Forum banner

Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread

2M views 34K replies 834 participants last post by  Dominic Chan 
#1 · (Edited)
It seems like Australia got the first shipments!

I received my X9000 yesterday and I am very happy with my first impressions. On turning it on I was surprised at the brightness and sharpness of this projector. I have had all of the last 3 generations and this is the biggest step up that I have experienced

The out of the box calibration was excellent with a very flat grey scale and slightly over saturated gamut.

The best news is that the brightness is as good or better than expected. I am at around mid throw and measured 1800 lumens Calibrated on high lamp and 1300 lumens on low lamp. This compares to 900 lumens (low lamp) that I got on the X900.

The convergence is not perfect on the sides but within half a pixel. I saw much worse on one of the X900 units.

The only disappointment so far in that the time to sync a new frequency has roughly doubled on my system to around 15 seconds.

I have attached a calibration report of the out of the box performance.
It is possible that this would have been even better if I had entered the screen compensation value.

I did a very quick 3D LUT calibration and the difference between it and the OTB setting were imperceptible on my short viewing

[Post=39521362]JVC RS600 - Manual download, Menu settings explanation, basic getting started info
[/Post]

[Post=39782218]JVC RS600 -Observations after 75 hours
[/Post]

[Post=39856938]2016 JVC X-talk info
[/Post]

Mobile Manual:

http://manual3.jvckenwood.com/projector/mobile/global/

[post=39729042]JVC Calibration Software V6 For 2015 Models
[/post]

Information on Viewing UHD Content for D-ILA Projector DLA-X950R, X750R, X550R, X9000, X7000, X5000, XC7890R, XC6890R, XC5890R, RS600, RS500, RS400:

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...rs400_uhd.html

Specific instructions on requirements for firmware update:

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...dure_u83.2.pdf

Attachments

See less See more
#9,241 · (Edited)
This may have been overlooked; am still curious about whether or not these apparently HDMI certified cables have been tested:

Very useful write-up. Thanks.

I recently came across a MediaBridge Ultra Series cable that claims to be HDMI Certified:

They further claim "at least" 18gbps data transmission. And this includes their 50 foot cable for $27!! at Amazon.

This would seem to be a long-shot to work, but if you could test it out, at a nominal cost, that would be extremely interesting!
Since a 25 foot Mediabridge ULTRA Series HDMI Cable was only $13.99 from Amazon with free prime shipping I figured I couldn't really go wrong trying one out.

I connected it directly between the Samsung player and my RS500. Turned the RS500 on first as I always do. Turned the Samsung on and the Home Menu synced without issue. Played an hour or so of Youtube videos with 4K/60, 4K/24, and 1080P resolutions with no issues. Switched to Netflix and no problem.

Finally, I turned off the Samsung player and moved the HDMI cable from the Samsung to my Directv 4K client box without shutting down the RS500. Turned the Directv box on and it synced to the 1080i channel without issue. Changed channel to a 4K/24. Then to 4K/60. And then played a 4K/60 DVR recording I had made. All without issue.

With the Monoprice Redmere cable connected directly without the HDFury I would have had at least one sync failure in the Youtube scenario. And I was never able to switch between the Samsung and Directv without a sync issue. And even changing channels between 4K and 1080i would have sync failures. The MediaBridge seems like it is better able to handle resolution and frame rate changes than the Redmere active cable. The RS500 sync times were unchanged..

I did have a couple of short audio glitches during the Youtube video marathon. But I don't see how the video HDMI connection could cause that over the second audio HDMI connection. Probably just a hiccup in my internet connection.

Tomorrow I will hook it up to my HDFury Integral which I now use as a HDMI switch and see how it performs with the Integral set to Automix.

Note that I did not allow the most recent Samsung player software update to be installed.

#9,244 ·
Just downloaded samsung's k8500 latest firmware (1005). It seem to fix the hdmi issues introduced by firmware 1004. Still don't know what else fixed or if introduced new bugs. At least I am no longer having to insert a disk to get the startup home menu.

Reactions: krichter1
#9,245 ·
Since a 25 foot Mediabridge ULTRA Series HDMI Cable was only $13.99 from Amazon with free prime shipping I figured I couldn't really go wrong trying one out.

I connected it directly between the Samsung player and my RS500. Turned the RS500 on first as I always do. Turned the Samsung on and the Home Menu synced without issue. Played an hour or so of Youtube videos with 4K/60, 4K/24, and 1080P resolutions with no issues. Switched to Netflix and no problem.

Finally, I turned off the Samsung player and moved the HDMI cable from the Samsung to my Directv 4K client box without shutting down the RS500. Turned the Directv box on and it synced to the 1080i channel without issue. Changed channel to a 4K/24. Then to 4K/60. And then played a 4K/60 DVR recording I had made. All without issue.

With the Monoprice Redmere cable connected directly without the HDFury I would have had at least one sync failure in the Youtube scenario. And I was never able to switch between the Samsung and Directv without a sync issue. And even changing channels between 4K and 1080i would have sync failures. The MediaBridge seems like it is better able to handle resolution and frame rate changes than the Redmere active cable. The RS500 sync times were unchanged..

I did have a couple of short audio glitches during the Youtube video marathon. But I don't see how the video HDMI connection could cause that over the second audio HDMI connection. Probably just a hiccup in my internet connection.

Tomorrow I will hook it up to my HDFury Integral which I now use as a HDMI switch and see how it performs with the Integral set to Automix.

Note that I did not allow the most recent Samsung player software update to be installed.
Very, very interesting. So at least for a 25 foot cable, it doesn't need to cost $900 to get the job done! Amazing that this lowly $13.99 one seems to be doing the job. Thanks for trying it out!

Next question is how it works for longer distances, including the 50 foot one, that they claim also supports the "at least" 18Gbps! Anyone game? Minimal funds required up front, and Amazon's returns are simple.

#9,246 · (Edited)
Just watch Star Wars on Blu Ray on my X7000. Had it set to cinema mode. It was amazing. The dark scenes with stars and space are fantastic. I will have to get some 3D glasses and check out Gravity. And this is me shooting on to a wall! Had 3 of my mates around and they all said it was a better picture than our local Village Cinema.

Thanks to everyone that talked me into buying a JVC projector!

#9,247 ·
Exactly! Do you have a mic that measures in single digits... just for fun? Mine is not calibrated below 10Hz.
Yes, have a calibrated mic.

#9,248 ·
Just watch Star Wars on Blu Ray on my X7000. Had it set to cinema mode. It was amazing. The dark scenes with stars and space are fantastic. I will have to get some 3D glasses and check out Gravity. And this is me shooting on to a wall!

Thanks to everyone that talked me into buying a JVC projector!
Same for me too and also watched Star Wars last night. Gotta finish the HT so I can see it again next week. :D

#9,249 ·
Yeah and in an unexpected scene too… I almost busted my Kilpsch in-wall subs on the scene when KyloRen uses his "force hand" on Rey (my buttkickers went nuts too… speaking of nuts… mine were shaking… but I digress (with my 12yo mind!) :D

It also drove my wife crazy that I had to… bring up the menu… change to audio… select Sub level… change the LFE down to -6… Resume movie (the comment was… "if you do that again I'll go watch this up on Vudu!"). :)
Yeah, my JL Audio subs went crazy on that scene. Ended up going back to it the next day to do some tuning. Finally using the ELF feature that the subs have which only impacts extreme low frequency at around 28hz to tame them a little for scenes like that. I've never even used that feature before, but have never heard anything as low and rumbling go on for so long. I pulled off the grills and they were REALLY moving. I'm sure there will be a few lost subs out there after watching the movie.... SJ

#9,250 ·
Yeah, my JL Audio subs went crazy on that scene. Ended up going back to it the next day to do some tuning. Finally using the ELF feature that the subs have which only impacts extreme low frequency at around 28hz to tame them a little for scenes like that. I've never even used that feature before, but have never heard anything as low and rumbling go on for so long. I pulled off the grills and they were REALLY moving. I'm sure there will be a few lost subs out there after watching the movie.... SJ
I'm not sure there was more LFE on that scene than the " Interstellar " black hole scene. Man, do I love this hobby ! :)

#9,252 · (Edited)
To upgrade or not to upgrade?

Hi all (owners!),

I'm seriously considering replacing my Sony VPL-HW50ES for the JVC-X750R in a few days and I have a few questions for you X750R owners:

My projector is installed 13 feet away from a 120 in screen in a fully black HT (walls and ceiling) in my basement.

How much of an upgrade you guys think this would be in relation to:

• Black level (my main concern!)?

• Contrast?

• Max brightness?

• Color accuracy?

• Sharpness?

• Movement fluidity?

I feel black level could be better than what I get from the Sony. Also lens clarity/sharpness is blurry in lower left corner of the screen with my Sony. I see it clearly with text when I plug in a PC.

Did some of you try to connect a PC to the X750R? How does it look?

Last question:
How do the blacks produced by the X750R compare to the X700R which seemed to be praised for its fantastic blacks but at the cost of not so fantastic max brightness.

Thanks,

#9,253 ·
Guys new to the projector side
Installed the RS500U yesterday and connected my bluray player via my BOSE V35 home theater system.

Few questions for now
I see that the projector handles or upscales to 4k but every video that I played only displays 1080p? Why is it so?
what is the optimal setting or which mode do should i set to watch video on the screen?
Is it natural/movie/film/THX?

#9,254 ·
Well... I have a HW30. Not that same, but not worlds different. I also have an RS500...

>>> Black level (my main concern!)?
IMHO, RS500 Significantly better

>>>Contrast?
HMMM... ANSI? On/Off? Not sure about ANSI, but on/off is significantly higher/better.

>>> Max brightness?
RS500 Much brighter.

>>> Color accuracy?
I thought the HW30 was pretty good. I have no complaints about the RS500. Neither were professionally calibrated. Call it a draw.

>>>Sharpness?
RS500 is worlds better.

>>> Movement fluidity?
This was a concern for me when pondering the RS500... I'm picky and this is a non-issue. Maybe I'd say the RS500 is very good and the HW30 was excellent. Hard to tell the difference.

Hi all (owners!),

I'm seriously considering replacing my Sony VPL-HW50ES for the JVC-X750R in a few days and I have a few questions for you X750R owners:

My projector is installed 13 feet away from a 120 in screen in a fully black HT (walls and ceiling) in my basement.

• Contrast?

• Max brightness?

• Color accuracy?

• Sharpness?

• Movement fluidity?

I feel black level could be better than what I get from the Sony. Also lens clarity/sharpness is blurry in lower left corner of the screen with my Sony. I see it clearly with text when I plug in a PC.

Last question:
How do the blacks produced by the X750R compare to the X700R which seemed to be praised for its fantastic blacks but at the cost of not so fantastic max brightness.

Thanks,

#9,255 ·
Guys new to the projector side
Installed the RS500U yesterday and connected my bluray player via my BOSE V35 home theater system.

Few questions for now
I see that the projector handles or upscales to 4k but every video that I played only displays 1080p? Why is it so?
what is the optimal setting or which mode do should i set to watch video on the screen?
Is it natural/movie/film/THX?
Quick answers

1) You can get into arguments about whether it really upscales to 4k. It certainly does use eShift, which I like a lot and leave on all the time.

2) PJ is telling you the INPUT video format when it displays 1080p. You know "4k/eShift" is enabled because you have either enabled it or not.

3) Optional settings? I know you don't want to hear this, but Zombie posted some a while back. I've found them a good starting point.

#9,257 ·
Hi all (owners!),

• Contrast?

• Max brightness?

• Color accuracy?

• Sharpness?

• Movement fluidity?

Last question:

Thanks,

I came from the Sony HW50 to the JVC RS500.
Clear leads by JVC in all areas you asked especially black levels, contrast and brightness (JVC nearly twice as bright in best mode).
Motion I would say even to maybe a slight edge to Sony.
These two projectors are really not comparable.
If this was a boxing match. JVC 1st round knock out[emoji3]

#9,258 ·
I came from the Sony HW50 to the JVC RS500.
Clear leads by JVC in all areas you asked especially black levels, contrast and brightness (JVC nearly twice as bright in best mode).
Motion I would say even to maybe a slight edge to Sony.
These two projectors are really not comparable.
If this was a boxing match. JVC 1st round knock out[emoji3]
And would you say the X750R image looks more or less grainy than the HW50? I feel reality creation for the HW50ES adds a bit of grain to some scenes in some movies even at 0 settings yet when it's off, image looks a bit too soft for my taste.

#9,259 ·
And would you say the X750R image looks more or less grainy than the HW50? I feel reality creation for the HW50ES adds a bit of grain to some scenes in some movies even at 0 settings yet when it's off, image looks a bit too soft for my taste.

I used RC on the Sony but had it very low settings. Your right at 0 there was some perceived softness.
RS500 is less grainy and much sharper.

#9,260 · (Edited)