AVS Forum banner

Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread

2M views 34K replies 834 participants last post by  Dominic Chan 
#1 · (Edited)
It seems like Australia got the first shipments!

I received my X9000 yesterday and I am very happy with my first impressions. On turning it on I was surprised at the brightness and sharpness of this projector. I have had all of the last 3 generations and this is the biggest step up that I have experienced

The out of the box calibration was excellent with a very flat grey scale and slightly over saturated gamut.

The best news is that the brightness is as good or better than expected. I am at around mid throw and measured 1800 lumens Calibrated on high lamp and 1300 lumens on low lamp. This compares to 900 lumens (low lamp) that I got on the X900.

The convergence is not perfect on the sides but within half a pixel. I saw much worse on one of the X900 units.

The only disappointment so far in that the time to sync a new frequency has roughly doubled on my system to around 15 seconds.

I have attached a calibration report of the out of the box performance.
It is possible that this would have been even better if I had entered the screen compensation value.

I did a very quick 3D LUT calibration and the difference between it and the OTB setting were imperceptible on my short viewing

[Post=39521362]JVC RS600 - Manual download, Menu settings explanation, basic getting started info
[/Post]

[Post=39782218]JVC RS600 -Observations after 75 hours
[/Post]

[Post=39856938]2016 JVC X-talk info
[/Post]

Mobile Manual:

http://manual3.jvckenwood.com/projector/mobile/global/

[post=39729042]JVC Calibration Software V6 For 2015 Models
[/post]

Information on Viewing UHD Content for D-ILA Projector DLA-X950R, X750R, X550R, X9000, X7000, X5000, XC7890R, XC6890R, XC5890R, RS600, RS500, RS400:

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...rs400_uhd.html

Specific instructions on requirements for firmware update:

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...dure_u83.2.pdf

Attachments

See less See more
#16,201 ·
Wow I hardly notice mine working on Auto 2 and was considering trying Auto 1 for a while just to see if that doesn't bother me and I get more benefit. By "more aggressive" I assume you mean that it just changes faster (less tolerance in the scene to get the iris to adjust), or does that mean that it will close the iris down more? Humm, ok that's something fun to experiment with tonight.
I don't see it work in either Auto 1 or 2, except on white credits on a black background, at which point I don't care.

#16,202 ·
I don't find anything lacking, sharpness wise, with my RS600 vs my Planar 8150, not in real content.
Thank you. I was quite pleased with the RS20 till I compared it to the Sharp. JVC appear to have made some major strides.

Hi. The 30K is a great PJ. Now, I'm not sure whether the person who last responded to your post saw this, but in your exercise, you're comparing 3D on the Sharp with 2D on the older JVC.

If it's 3D you're asking about but on both PJs, the RS500 will trounce on the Sharp when it comes to overall image quality. The same can be said for overall image quality in 2D. (The RS600 you reference in your question maybe being even a bit better.)

But if it's 2D you're comparing on both --and your only focus is on 2D native sharpness-- then stick with the Sharp, with the caveat that the RS500 can display 3840x2160, look very detailed, and display wider color with incredible blacks (all without rainbow artifacts). Single chip designs by nature have the native sharpness edge due to having no convergence concerns. With that said, convergence on my X750 gives me a very sharp picture. So, I would say really pretty close sharpness to a good optics, single chip DLP. Good luck in your decision.
Thanks. I use the Sharp purely for 3D and of course the RS20 for 2D, this comparison was a revelation, perhaps ANSI came into the equation since the scene was a bright one.

The current JVC's are almost as sharp as single chip DLP, but with much better contrast. Zoombie10k (big into 3D) used to prefer DLP for his 3D, until this years model of the JVC. You really should compare the current generation, rather than a projector that was introduced 8 years ago. JVC has had a lot of improvements since then. I actually have an RS20 and there is a big difference between it and my RS45 and an even bigger difference between the RS20 and my RS600.
Thank you Mike!....looks like it's upgrade time, this time next year!

Having owned all the top-end Sharp DLPs over the years I would say "close... but different" (DLP did look sharper as I recall but hard edged & "digitalee" whereas the JVCs may look a smidge softer but much more filmic & organic... (maybe better this year tho), not to mention much brighter & the blacks vs. "grey-black" on the Sharp). The 3D this year is TOP notch.

To compare the Sharp 3K to the JVCs (especially CR), is like comparing a Ford to a Jaguar IMO. ;)
Thanks!....will retire the RS20 next year!

#16,204 ·
I don't see it work in either Auto 1 or 2, except on white credits on a black background, at which point I don't care.
Everyone's vision is different. I can easily see the iris movements in either modes. Auto 1 closes the iris more "dramatically" to say the least. Even my wife say "why is the picture dimming and brightening like that?" Auto 2 she can't see it (other than on credits) but I can still see it on regular scenes.

#16,205 ·
I tried, and they DON'T work if you need 18Gbps. I managed to squeeze 4K 24Hz out of them, but never got the Samsung setup page to display without the disk trick.

My current solution is using two of the cables below (20ft each), with the Ethereal in the middle.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
I wonder if the Monoprice did not work because it is not a powered cable, at least it doesn't appear to be. Whereas the Celerity takes USB power on each end. I was wondering how the Monoprice could accomplish the same thing that the Celerity can but without power.

#16,206 ·
Everyone's vision is different. I can easily see the iris movements in either modes. Auto 1 closes the iris more "dramatically" to say the least. Even my wife say "why is the picture dimming and brightening like that?" Auto 2 she can't see it (other than on credits) but I can still see it on regular scenes.
Whether you see it work could also depend on other settings including how clamped down you have the manual iris, screen size, and other settings. What is you manual iris set at, and how large is your screen ( and what material )?

The auto iris is sometimes noticeable in regular content, but i don't notice it often. Certainly it's not pronounced enough that my wife would say "why is the picture dimming and brightening like that?", so I'm thinking there are other factors / settings at play here.

#16,209 ·
X-Men Apocalypse versus Star Trek Beyond

Two weeks ago I fired up X-Men on RS500 and it looked great. Still need calibration but 4k HDR was stunning.

Tonight I watched the first 15 minutes of Star Trek Beyond with all of the same settings and it was so dark it was almost unwatchable.

Anyone have some quick adjustments that they make between these wildly different light settings? Do I have any hope with Star Trek? I know some of the HDR 4k movies are based on a much higher peak brightness. Please advise or refer me to where this has been discussed.

Thanks!

#16,210 ·
Where did you buy from that you were able to get it early (so I know next time where to purchase pre-releases from :)?

Best Buy

In looking at their solution those cables are MUCH cheaper than the Celerity. Also interesting is that they do not require any power. Does anyone have insight about this? The Celerity cable requires USB power on the display side, and optional power on the transmission side (which I also use). If this power is really not needed at all by the Monoprice solution and yet they can function just as good as the Celerity cable (and at less than half the price) that's a big win. One thing that seems a little annoying is that the smallest length is 75'. Personally I'd rather not have a big coil of what is relatively delicate fiber sitting around on one end (so a 40' or 50' option could be better if that's all you need, if they had such an option).

I don't understand the 75' length either but for someone who needs 50'+ I would still give it a try just to see...

Yes - See Manni's post in this thread yesterday morning (or maybe it was two days ago - can't remember at this point) in response to Kris questioning why it matters which component does the scaling to 4:4:4.

I did see his reply but the uncertainty of bandwidth required was what he was unsure of and what I was asking about. My feeling is for those of you with cable issues it would be a worthy test to go thru the Spears & Munsil or Tedds disc to verify if 4:2:0 vs. 4:4:4 chroma would expose any obvious differences (and it might... but if not then saving as much bandwidth over the cable is a premium for you guys... try it. ;)

Yes I'm still trying to figure this out. JVC seems to feel this is a hardware issue, but I am still skeptical about that. I'm still within the exchange period for a bit longer so I could just opt for a new unit, but my unit is such an exceptional sample (incredible color uniformity which I've never seen, excellent convergence and edge to edge focus, very little bright corners etc) I am not keen to swapping it for a unit that's not as good. Likewise I'm not keen on sending it in and being without a projector for 2-3+ weeks. I spent 2 years building a room and its finally done so the idea of not having the room for just a day at this point is unfathomable, not to mention weeks. :eek: . Add to this that it may not be a hardware issue at all - and I could wind up swapping my unit for one not as good, or being without mine for weeks, and in the end still have the issue should it turn out not to be hardware. So I'm sure many can appreciate the dilemma.

What I'm doing now is trying various configurations to see if I can determine what causes it and if there's an acceptable work around that allows me to avoid the issue entirely. Others that reported this same issue did not wind up servicing their unit and found ways to get it to work for them just fine so I am still experimenting. For now I have switched the Panasonic UB900 to 4:2:2 for 4K60 instead of 4:4:4. Which I'm not sure even matters (??), because the issue happened when switching from a 4K/24 signal. Last night I went back and forth between TV, Roku, full length Ghostbusters SDR BT20202 4:2:2 (instead of 4:4:4) and back and forth between inputs and the issue did not occur. Tomorrow my HD Fury HDMI cables come. I will replace my 2 6' Fusion4K cables that are currently in my chain with these as well. I will do as much as I can to trigger the condition and see if it happens again. If it still happens I may have no choice but to exchange it or service it. If it doesn't happen again, well I'll leave it at that. Although I'd probably then go back to 4:4:4 for a while and see if that made any difference.

What's odd is that each time (3) the issue has occurred its involved the UB900 with concert Blu-rays. The first was David Gilmour and the issue happened when choosing a title from the Blu-ray menu and it went to load that chapter. The next two times it happened when switching away from Roger Waters The Wall at 4k/24 4:4:4 to Xfinity X1 at 1080p60. I don't think the fact that these were both concert discs is anything more than a coincidence because the Waters disc is 4k/24 so nothing special about this in terms of it being a "concert" disc that's any different than a regular blu-ray movie.

If anyone has some ideas on what else I can try besides switching cables and switching the UB900 from 4:4:4 to 4:2:2 please let me know. Thanks!
And that's why it's all a matter of perspective as to who's at fault here but I get what you're saying and agree the target display should never allow a lockup condition if something hinky is being sent by the Integral given your full bandwidth 444/60 setup and going thru a 50' fiber... which is still my suspicion and the fact you've about halved the strain on the chain could be your golden ticket if to your eyes you really can't see a difference (I'd still run thru the test disc chroma patterns to verify). Most important IMO is the condition of your machine Ric... if it's a golden copy I would hold on to it and force someone to pry it out of your cold dead hands! before allowing a repair... should be your LAST resort only... after all other config have been exhausted. :)

So far good news tho and I do hope its your blue pill going forward. ;)

#16,211 ·
And that's why it's all a matter of perspective as to who's at fault here but I get what you're saying and agree the target display should never allow a lockup condition if something hinky is being sent by the Integral given your full bandwidth 444/60 setup and going thru a 50' fiber... which is still my suspicion and the fact you've about halved the strain on the chain could be your golden ticket if to your eyes you really can't see a difference (I'd still run thru the test disc chroma patterns to verify). Most important IMO is the condition of your machine Ric... if it's a golden copy I would hold on to it and force someone to pry it out of your cold dead hands! before allowing a repair... should be your LAST resort only... after all other config have been exhausted. :)

So far good news tho and I do hope its your blue pill going forward. ;)
Regarding getting the pre-orders UHD releases from Best Buy - is that by mail to home, or in-store pickup?

Regarding the cable - someone posted earlier today that the Monoprice fiber didn't work for them at 4:4:4. Celerity will I'm quite sure, at least in my case it does at 50' whereas my other "4k certified cable" would not. I don't think the Celerity has anything to do with tripping up the JVC.

I agree on your stance regarding the lockup issue and am looking at service or exchange as a last resort. Indeed it is a golden sample. I don't know if the consistency has gone way up and its not unusually to get such a golden sample, but don't want to take any chances on an exchange. Repair would be more palatable if it could be done in just one week, such as with overnight shipping both ways. At any rate, none of this is really even an option until I have exhausted all possible configuration issues and still have the issue happening enough to justify it. I've also recently learned that using the bottom ports on the Integral are even better so I'm switching to that too. At first I was going to change one thing at a time so I would know what variable made a difference. But now I'm taking the opposite approach - changing as much as possible up-front, cables, resolution settings, Integral inputs/outputs etc. If the issue goes away and doesn't come back, oh well I won't know what the root cause was but who then cares as long as its gone...

#16,212 ·
I also think it's content dependent in relation to where you have your iris positioned (the more clamped the less drastic the change), and as well I think IIRC Zombie did a lot of initial testing and found this years logic to be far less aggressive and that Auto1 (emphasis on gradation), seemed to be the better choice (where in past years Auto2 (Contrast), was the mode to use). ;)

#16,213 ·
Regarding getting the pre-orders UHD releases from Best Buy - is that by mail to home, or in-store pickup?

Regarding the cable - someone posted earlier today that the Monoprice fiber didn't work for them at 4:4:4. Celerity will I'm quite sure, at least in my case it does at 50' whereas my other "4k certified cable" would not. I don't think the Celerity has anything to do with tripping up the JVC.

I agree on your stance regarding the lockup issue and am looking at service or exchange as a last resort. Indeed it is a golden sample. I don't know if the consistency has gone way up and its not unusually to get such a golden sample, but don't want to take any chances on an exchange. Repair would be more palatable if it could be done in just one week, such as with overnight shipping both ways. At any rate, none of this is really even an option until I have exhausted all possible configuration issues and still have the issue happening enough to justify it. I've also recently learned that using the bottom ports on the Integral are even better so I'm switching to that too. At first I was going to change one thing at a time so I would know what variable made a difference. But now I'm taking the opposite approach - changing as much as possible up-front, cables, resolution settings, Integral inputs/outputs etc. If the issue goes away and doesn't come back, oh well I won't know what the root cause was but who then cares as long as its gone...
Agreed! (who cares as long as the gremlin leaves your room!) :D

Oh and my preorder was during that 50% off sale posted a few weeks back and it was shipped directly to home (I was shocked I got it so fast! :eek: ).

(PS - Just to be clear I'm not saying the Celerity fiber cable is at issue; just the fact any cable running a signal with that much load, that long a distance with the Integral in the path could all equate to the odd conditional result you're experiencing... I just hope for your sake the 422 settings works long term). ;)

#16,214 ·
Two weeks ago I fired up X-Men on RS500 and it looked great. Still need calibration but 4k HDR was stunning.

Tonight I watched the first 15 minutes of Star Trek Beyond with all of the same settings and it was so dark it was almost unwatchable.

Anyone have some quick adjustments that they make between these wildly different light settings? Do I have any hope with Star Trek? I know some of the HDR 4k movies are based on a much higher peak brightness. Please advise or refer me to where this has been discussed.

Thanks!
Yep... Gamma D should be 12/5/4 and Brightness at +10 w/ BT.2020 as your base for 1K nit mastered movies and if you have a Samsung then change your User pic setting to +3/+2 for Ct/Br for the 4K nit movies and see if that helps (did for me w/out crushing whites). ;)

#16,215 ·

Thanks!
Darker by design (IMHO)

I believe this is a case of the directors/editors intent because I watched this tonight
using the HDFury Integral to play 4K/UHD BT.2020 SDR and even that was darker than I'm use to.

Playing the first few chapters back in full HDR looks just about the same.

X-Men Apocalypse was a reference quality 4K UHD bluray in comparison.
...8'-9" wide screen from 9' viewing distance, shot with a samsung smartphone:

...sorry to say I didn't get a single screen shot from StarTrek Beyond worth posting.
Which is a shame because the previous two had lots of great moments.

Overall the movie/story in STB was still enjoyable
but it could have been a little better lightened up a little.
It was also clipped/filtered at about 40Hz on the LFE
which caused quite an uproar in the subwoofer section. :(

I don't usually play the HDFury SDR card on every 4K UHD release,
about 2/3's of them seem fine to me in HDR because I have a short throw (~12')
to a 120" 1.3 gain screen.

#16,217 ·
Yep... Gamma D should be 12/5/4 and Brightness at +10 w/ BT.2020 as your base
I am so hoping that JVC will fix this. The default setting should not require us to max out any sliders like this.

#16,218 ·
I am so hoping that JVC will fix this. The default setting should not require us to max out any sliders like this.
Well... "max" would be +20 but I get what you're saying (I'm a glass half full guy so I'm just happy on this "version 1" attempt by JVC I can even get it to where it looks awesome (no matter the manipulation technique). ;)

#16,219 ·
Darker by design (IMHO)

I believe this is a case of the directors/editors intent because I watched this tonight
using the HDFury Integral to play 4K/UHD BT.2020 SDR and even that was darker than I'm use to.

Playing the first few chapters back in full HDR looks just about the same.

X-Men Apocalypse was a reference quality 4K UHD bluray in comparison.
...8'-9" wide screen from 9' viewing distance, shot with a samsung smartphone:
Wow! Pio... that first pic you posted is as good as I've ever seen on this thread! :eek: :)

#16,220 ·
Well... "max" would be +20 but I get what you're saying (I'm a glass half full guy so I'm just happy on this "version 1" attempt by JVC I can even get it to where it looks awesome (no matter the manipulation technique). ;)
It has been a while since i looked but I was pretty sure on the Gamma D settings, a +12 on any one slider for adjusting /fine tuning gamma is the max. So if you have drift or a little variance, you are SOL because it only goes to 12?