AVS Forum banner

Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread

2M views 34K replies 834 participants last post by  Dominic Chan 
#1 · (Edited)
It seems like Australia got the first shipments!

I received my X9000 yesterday and I am very happy with my first impressions. On turning it on I was surprised at the brightness and sharpness of this projector. I have had all of the last 3 generations and this is the biggest step up that I have experienced

The out of the box calibration was excellent with a very flat grey scale and slightly over saturated gamut.

The best news is that the brightness is as good or better than expected. I am at around mid throw and measured 1800 lumens Calibrated on high lamp and 1300 lumens on low lamp. This compares to 900 lumens (low lamp) that I got on the X900.

The convergence is not perfect on the sides but within half a pixel. I saw much worse on one of the X900 units.

The only disappointment so far in that the time to sync a new frequency has roughly doubled on my system to around 15 seconds.

I have attached a calibration report of the out of the box performance.
It is possible that this would have been even better if I had entered the screen compensation value.

I did a very quick 3D LUT calibration and the difference between it and the OTB setting were imperceptible on my short viewing

[Post=39521362]JVC RS600 - Manual download, Menu settings explanation, basic getting started info
[/Post]

[Post=39782218]JVC RS600 -Observations after 75 hours
[/Post]

[Post=39856938]2016 JVC X-talk info
[/Post]

Mobile Manual:

http://manual3.jvckenwood.com/projector/mobile/global/

[post=39729042]JVC Calibration Software V6 For 2015 Models
[/post]

Information on Viewing UHD Content for D-ILA Projector DLA-X950R, X750R, X550R, X9000, X7000, X5000, XC7890R, XC6890R, XC5890R, RS600, RS500, RS400:

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...rs400_uhd.html

Specific instructions on requirements for firmware update:

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...dure_u83.2.pdf

Attachments

See less See more
#16,241 ·
Manual iris setting is at full open, screen is 96" 2.35:1 ratio Stewart Studiotek 130 G3 viewed from 8ft away
What is your throw distance? Your image should be super bright. I come up with a possibility of 33FL to 43FL with your setup, depending on throw. I am assuming low lamp is being used.

#16,242 ·
Having just recently watched the 1080p version of this movie, I agree the original presentation itself had very little grains. Not typical. Sometimes it felt I am watching a TV show, not in a bad way, but just different. Did I mention, I am good with grains in movies?
Film grain will be a thing of the past with everything shot digitally - " Shot digitally with a variety of Arri Alexa cameras ".

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Sicario-4K-Blu-ray/147731/#Review

#16,246 ·

Attachments

#16,248 ·
#16,249 ·
http://www.projectorcentral.com/JVC-DLA-RS500-projection-calculator-pro.htm

I've got my X750 at about ~12' from a 120" 16:9 screen (1.3 gain) and its really bright,
Low lamp mode and iris closed down to -10 (~400 hours so far). 9' viewing distance.
That calculator is fine for distance/size, but never trust PJC's calculators for brightness. They seem to ask The Magic 8 Ball what to use for projector brightness (though those specific numbers look reasonable for a change).

#16,250 ·
That calculator is fine for distance/size, but never trust PJC's calculators for brightness. They seem to ask The Magic 8 Ball what to use for projector brightness (though those specific numbers look reasonable for a change).
Don't you use the magic 8-ball for all of your important decisions?
Thanks for the laugh. :)

#16,254 · (Edited)
Thanks, Tom!! Right now am at 17 feet throw distance, would it be worth the hassle to move the PJ to 14ft, assuming I wanted to maximize brightness for any potential HDR improvements. What are the pros and cons?
That's up to you. I really don't care about HDR. My projector will be located at 19ft and using an AT screen so, probably not the best for HDR. I missed what your screen size and gain were but, one of these guys will be of better help figuring out light output. :)

Almost 11ft wide is a pretty large screen.

#16,255 ·
That's up to you. I really don't care about HDR. My projector will be located at 19ft and using an AT screen so, probably not the best for HDR. I missed what your screen size and gain were but, one of these guys will be of better help figuring out light output. :)
My screen size is a 130 inch diagonal, 2.35 AT screen with an alleged 1. gain. Right now I don't watch HDR, I only watch 4k HDR content in 4K SDR BT2020. However, if and when I am able to properly calibrate for HDR I assume every bit of brightness will count.

#16,256 ·
Sorry guys, I wrote the wrong thing. My lamp setting is NOT at full open. full power and full open is only when I'm running HDR. For regular viewing I use low lamp at -6 manual iris.
Now it makes sense. :)

#16,257 ·
However, if and when I am able to properly calibrate for HDR I assume every bit of brightness will count.
Oh yeah, no doubt. If it's not to much trouble for you to mount the projector closer to the screen to get a little more brightness do it. :) I watched the latest X-men UHD disc in Kevin's theater and the HDR was calibrated by Chad B. with a disc given to him from Samsung. It looked really nice! Just a couple scenes looked a touch hazy looking but, It never was distracting or had me saying, god that looks terrible. I was impressed! His projector is mounted 17.5ft back and AT screen gain is around .94 but, his screen is 8ft. wide so, that helps with light output as well. :)

noticed your screen with is 120" wide, that's what I was originally shooting for but, I'm going to take it down to 115" 2.35, which is what I have been watching on a flat white wall. It's a nice size for me.

Reactions: krichter1
#16,258 ·
Speaking of throw distance, which calculator is everyone using? What would be the closest I can mount my RS500 to a 2.35:1 130 inch diagonal screen?
Seems all the replied screen shots were for a 2.39 screen ratio and not 2.35 as you requested. When I calculate using the IOS App I get 13 feet 11 inches as the minimum throw distance.

Attachments

Reactions: atabea
#16,259 ·
Oh yeah, no doubt. If it's not to much trouble for you to mount the projector closer to the screen to get a little more brightness do it. :) I watched the latest X-men UHD disc in Kevin's theater and the HDR was calibrated by Chad B. with a disc given to him from Samsung. It looked really nice! Just a couple scenes looked a touch hazy looking but, It never was distracting or had me saying, god that looks terrible. I was impressed! His projector is mounted 17.5ft back and AT screen gain is around .94 but, his screen is 8ft. wide so, that helps with light output as well. :)

noticed your screen with is 120" wide, that's what I was originally shooting for but, I'm going to take it down to 115" 2.35, which is what I have been watching on a flat white wall. It's a nice size for me.
I am sure Kevin's setup looks amazing with his Chad B, magic sauce, HDR calibration and I would like to be able to have something similar eventually.

115 " is a nice size and is prolly more suitable for HDR. I am just not sure how much more brightness I will realize if I move the PJ 3 ft closer to the screen. If it's not significant I don't want to go through the hassel.