AVS Forum banner

Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread

2M views 34K replies 834 participants last post by  Dominic Chan 
#1 · (Edited)
It seems like Australia got the first shipments!

I received my X9000 yesterday and I am very happy with my first impressions. On turning it on I was surprised at the brightness and sharpness of this projector. I have had all of the last 3 generations and this is the biggest step up that I have experienced

The out of the box calibration was excellent with a very flat grey scale and slightly over saturated gamut.

The best news is that the brightness is as good or better than expected. I am at around mid throw and measured 1800 lumens Calibrated on high lamp and 1300 lumens on low lamp. This compares to 900 lumens (low lamp) that I got on the X900.

The convergence is not perfect on the sides but within half a pixel. I saw much worse on one of the X900 units.

The only disappointment so far in that the time to sync a new frequency has roughly doubled on my system to around 15 seconds.

I have attached a calibration report of the out of the box performance.
It is possible that this would have been even better if I had entered the screen compensation value.

I did a very quick 3D LUT calibration and the difference between it and the OTB setting were imperceptible on my short viewing

[Post=39521362]JVC RS600 - Manual download, Menu settings explanation, basic getting started info
[/Post]

[Post=39782218]JVC RS600 -Observations after 75 hours
[/Post]

[Post=39856938]2016 JVC X-talk info
[/Post]

Mobile Manual:

http://manual3.jvckenwood.com/projector/mobile/global/

[post=39729042]JVC Calibration Software V6 For 2015 Models
[/post]

Information on Viewing UHD Content for D-ILA Projector DLA-X950R, X750R, X550R, X9000, X7000, X5000, XC7890R, XC6890R, XC5890R, RS600, RS500, RS400:

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...rs400_uhd.html

Specific instructions on requirements for firmware update:

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...dure_u83.2.pdf

Attachments

See less See more
#24,002 ·
I had a digital version of the Fifth Element in 4k.

If you think there is going to be less noise, you are going to be in for a seriously rude shock. It has excessive grain at that quality level.

IMO, its not worth a buy in UHD when it comes out. No way. That film does not exists at a level of quality beyond 1080p, even then it struggles due to MTF issues in the film stock.

The file size was 90gb too, so its not like its a bad copy :)
When it comes to catalog titles being re-released on 4K UHD Blu-ray, I will wait for reviews from blu-ray.com and HDD prior to making a purchasing decision. And, I might just wait for Black Friday week to boot - that will only be around 12 weeks after The Fifth Element is released on 4K BR.

Was the picture an improvement over the existing Blu-ray, or no ? Excessive grain can be mitigated in other ways.

#24,003 ·
I think the FE UHD release would be worth it for the WCG alone. You can tell those colors are begging for more than R709. :)

they owe us a proper re-release of Oblivion on UHD. how did this get this so wrong. The colors are enticing vs. the BD but they did something wrong with scaling, it looks terrible compared to the BD.

#24,004 ·
Maybe I should pre-view those before a blind buy.
Dunno about GITS but for Logan, it is a bit more thoughtful and grounded in aging, etc, than other super hero movies. But I seem to recall that you like indie and foreign action and drama movies in addition to big budget Hollywood, so I'm guessing you'll like Logan, too.

#24,005 ·
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett
I thought Logan was depressing and I about fell asleep in the middle of Ghost in the shell.

Originally Posted by Craig Peer
Maybe I should pre-view those before a blind buy. .
With a few exceptions, I have stopped buying UHD discs on day of release. Instead, I rent them from 3d-blurayrental.com. With the plan I subscribed to I am getting 5 discs per month at $3.60 per disc. If I decide one is worth owning, I wait for a sale or price drop and then buy.

#24,006 ·
Kevin, Tom and sonichart - if time permits can you check out what's cookin' at the Dolby Labs? :) Maybe some new report re Dolby Vision for home entertainment. I see them listed as an exhibitor. Hope you guys have an exciting time at the show.

Btw, my wife grew up in Oak Brook and yeah...she puts ketchup too! :D

Can you believe we FORGOT to go visit the Dolby Labs booth!? :eek: :eek:

We did get to see the very impressive JVC RS4500 on ~160 & 170" diag screen (one was the new Seymour which looked excellent... you could NOT see a weave whatsoever unless your nose was touching the screen... which Tom did! & the other was a StudioTek 130 which I was shocked how good it sounded for a microperf but I think it was b/c of the self powered Seaton center speaker (I've never heard anything more clear behind a screen... WoWee!). Also Tom was right about how great these locally built JTR speakers were (I'm going to have to rethink my AT hard line philosophy/stance if I can get a better more conducive screen for HDR/3D whilst increasing my sound quality, which truthfully I didn't think was a reality for me!) :p

It was a really fun day hanging with Tom & Phil and especially being able to meet Chrs Seymour, JVC field engineers/execs and of course last but not least Kris Deering (thanks for the very informative knowledge-bombing 2 hour lunch Kris... very informative and excellent perspective!). :D

The $60K Sony VPL-W5000ES was something to behold too (that thing is GI-normous! :eek: ), but the motion flow was excellent as was the Cannon-O-light coming from it! Blacks looked really good but Kris said in our rooms the JVC would still best it (even at a Tenth of the cost!). ;)

#24,007 ·
Can this Arve tool be used to create curves for SDR? We're watching a show online that is dark. Shadow detail is there and the brights are full bright, but only on things like outdoor scenes with a bright sky. The usual indoor scenes are really dim. I'd like to create a curve that keeps the black level but brings the more common scenes out of the dark faster and doesn't clip the outdoor scenes. It's really obvious when the credit scenes run... they are nice and bright. They just push everything down into darkness, visible, but dark.

It's The Americans. Other series like The Expanse and Homeland are fine.

#24,008 ·
#24,010 ·
Maybe I should pre-view those before a blind buy.
You can't miss Ghost in The Shell if you enjoyed Blade Runner and Ex Machina! :)
I was just nitpicking certain technical aspects (incl the mind-blowing original soundtrack being improperly used as an end credit) of the live-action in which I thought was downplayed compared to its original anime.
But if you haven't seen the original I suggest watching the live action first before diving into the anime would be better. I also think SJ was a right pick to play Major.

#24,011 ·
Can this Arve tool be used to create curves for SDR? We're watching a show online that is dark. Shadow detail is there and the brights are full bright, but only on things like outdoor scenes with a bright sky. The usual indoor scenes are really dim. I'd like to create a curve that keeps the black level but brings the more common scenes out of the dark faster and doesn't clip the outdoor scenes. It's really obvious when the credit scenes run... they are nice and bright. They just push everything down into darkness, visible, but dark.

It's The Americans. Other series like The Expanse and Homeland are fine.
Probably easier just to select a lower gamma number from the JVC presents in the projector and see if that helps?

#24,013 ·
Maybe Kris can comment as I think he was there this wknd (and knows a lot about DV futures). ;)
Just as interesting would be anything related to the Samsung / Amazon Video agreement where Amazon will master content with Samsung's new HDR10+ that features dynamic metadata. 2016/2017 Samsung TVs are the only displays that have been announced to support HDR10+ and only for streaming. It may be that HDMI 2.1 will be required for HDR10+ over HDMI connections. Samsung has said that HDR10+ will be made an open standard without licensing fees like DV has.

Reactions: Mike_WI
#24,015 ·
Does anyone know why CMD has to be set to OFF for Roku Ultras the work? Why would that cause the vertical line issues, etc. which many have commented on that if not set to off you sometimes have to power cycle the projector. Seems strange,but I'm also having issues which turning CMD off seems to fix. SJ
We are waiting to hear back from @Mike Garrett on it, who is checking with JVC. Mike, any word? Thanks.
I have the Roku Premiere+ and still encounter this problem. If I turn on the Roku, and go to Netflix, the JVC ends up in a non-responsive state such that I have to power cycle it to re-sync. This is only if CMD is enabled; if I turn it off, it hasn't happened yet.

The Roku has had more than its share of issues, so JVC may not be entirely to 'blame'; but on the other hand, the JVC should be able to gracefully handle issues like this without requiring a power cycle.

@Mike Garrett - do you have any info from JVC on this issue?

Thanks.

Don

#24,016 ·
Can you believe we FORGOT to go visit the Dolby Labs booth!? :eek: :eek:

We did get to see the very impressive JVC RS4500 on ~160 & 170" diag screen (one was the new Seymour which looked excellent... you could NOT see a weave whatsoever unless your nose was touching the screen... which Tom did! & the other was a StudioTek 130 which I was shocked how good it sounded for a microperf but I think it was b/c of the self powered Seaton center speaker (I've never heard anything more clear behind a screen... WoWee!). Also Tom was right about how great these locally built JTR speakers were (I'm going to have to rethink my AT hard line philosophy/stance if I can get a better more conducive screen for HDR/3D whilst increasing my sound quality, which truthfully I didn't think was a reality for me!) :p

It was a really fun day hanging with Tom & Phil and especially being able to meet Chrs Seymour, JVC field engineers/execs and of course last but not least Kris Deering (thanks for the very informative knowledge-bombing 2 hour lunch Kris... very informative and excellent perspective!). :D

The $60K Sony VPL-W5000ES was something to behold too (that thing is GI-normous! :eek: ), but the motion flow was excellent as was the Cannon-O-light coming from it! Blacks looked really good but Kris said in our rooms the JVC would still best it (even at a Tenth of the cost!). ;)

Seaton's room was using the Sony 5000ES, not the 4500. The 4500 was in the JTR/Seymour room and the Emotiva room with a SI screen I believe.

I didn't get the chance to go to the Dolby booth but I don't remember seeing one when I was walking around the show anyways, so I'm not sure how prominent it was.

#24,017 ·
Seaton's room was using the Sony 5000ES, not the 4500. The 4500 was in the JTR/Seymour room and the Emotiva room with a SI screen I believe.

I didn't get the chance to go to the Dolby booth but I don't remember seeing one when I was walking around the show anyways, so I'm not sure how prominent it was.
Ahh yes... thanks for correcting my misremembering (and that Emotiva gear was Very impressive!)!

#24,018 ·
Also Tom was right about how great these locally built JTR speakers were (I'm going to have to rethink my AT hard line philosophy/stance if I can get a better more conducive screen for HDR/3D whilst increasing my sound quality, which truthfully I didn't think was a reality for me!) :p

JTRs were initially on my audio 'wishlist' when building my room. When it came time to generate an invoice/budget ... they got scrapped for the DIY route (1099 LCRs, Volt6 surrounds and atmos, dual 18" cyclops subs). If I had more disposable cash, i'd jump all over a JTR setup scaled down for my room. Something about having seven 6ft towers with dual 15's makes me think the house will come tumbling down. Though I've never heard a JTR speaker I didn't like.

I really like the new Seymour material. I can barely detect the weave in my XD material at 13' seating, but only during bright/white scenes. I really like the durability and 'feel' of the XD material compared to the UF material. My impression is that this new material is a hybrid between the two--but more like the UF material than XD and just as bright. The new material will be available in the fall and if I choose to upgrade screen material, I'm hoping Mike Garrett can find a way for me to keep my existing frame and simply swap the material out. It just occurred to me: Would I be able to retro-fit a Stewart screen material with my Seymour frame?

The $60k Sony was impressive, as was the RS4500. Both lit up 14' screens with ease. My first reaction to the Sony was "black space looks kinda grey" ... However, the motion looked flawless to me. I wonder, now, if all Sonys behave that way... and I even asked the host if any kind of FI or Motion Smoothing was enabled. The response was 'no'. I watched demos of The Force Awakens, Serenity, and the new Harry Potter spinoff.
Smooth motion, no trails, no artifacts, no soap opera effect. Seeing the motion wasn't enough to give me any kind of buyers remorse. I still love my RS600. However, when it comes time to upgrade I will definitely be taking a closer look at what Sony has to offer. My only regret is not returning to see how motion looked on the RS4500 as we only saw concert footage while in that room.

Lunch with Kris Deering was a delight and am thankful for his time with us. I learned quite a bit during those two hours and appreciate every minute. Bottom line: There is no holy grail of projectors. Dont dwell on the minutiae of your hardware specs and simply enjoy some movies.

Chad-countdown: 2 days! w00t w00t!