AVS Forum banner

Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread

2M views 34K replies 834 participants last post by  Dominic Chan 
#1 · (Edited)
It seems like Australia got the first shipments!

I received my X9000 yesterday and I am very happy with my first impressions. On turning it on I was surprised at the brightness and sharpness of this projector. I have had all of the last 3 generations and this is the biggest step up that I have experienced

The out of the box calibration was excellent with a very flat grey scale and slightly over saturated gamut.

The best news is that the brightness is as good or better than expected. I am at around mid throw and measured 1800 lumens Calibrated on high lamp and 1300 lumens on low lamp. This compares to 900 lumens (low lamp) that I got on the X900.

The convergence is not perfect on the sides but within half a pixel. I saw much worse on one of the X900 units.

The only disappointment so far in that the time to sync a new frequency has roughly doubled on my system to around 15 seconds.

I have attached a calibration report of the out of the box performance.
It is possible that this would have been even better if I had entered the screen compensation value.

I did a very quick 3D LUT calibration and the difference between it and the OTB setting were imperceptible on my short viewing

[Post=39521362]JVC RS600 - Manual download, Menu settings explanation, basic getting started info
[/Post]

[Post=39782218]JVC RS600 -Observations after 75 hours
[/Post]

[Post=39856938]2016 JVC X-talk info
[/Post]

Mobile Manual:

http://manual3.jvckenwood.com/projector/mobile/global/

[post=39729042]JVC Calibration Software V6 For 2015 Models
[/post]

Information on Viewing UHD Content for D-ILA Projector DLA-X950R, X750R, X550R, X9000, X7000, X5000, XC7890R, XC6890R, XC5890R, RS600, RS500, RS400:

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...rs400_uhd.html

Specific instructions on requirements for firmware update:

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...dure_u83.2.pdf

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
So it begins....

Thank you very much Htnut2000, that's very exciting!

"1800 lumens Calibrated on high lamp and 1300 lumens on low lamp" is just what I was hoping for. That's pretty friggin' amazing, actually. No wonder these things were lighting up big screens at the shows.

Also glad to read it's not too far off calibration-wise, since I'll be using OOTB settings for 100 hours or so until it's calibrated.

Just curious, you wrote: "This compares to 900 lumens (low lamp) that I got on the X900."
Isn't that a bit more like what the X900 would get on high lamp, calibrated? (Cine4home, for instance, got 980 lumens in high lamp, brightest zoom mode, for the X700).

Sorry, one last question: "The out of the box calibration was excellent" - can you tell me which OOTB picture setting you used, that you found "excellent?" Thanks.

#3 ·
It seems like Australia got the first shipments!

I received my X9000 yesterday and I am very happy with my first impressions. On turning it on I was surprised at the brightness and sharpness of this projector. I have had all of the last 3 generations and this is the biggest step up that I have experienced
Congratulations !!! It looks like a week or so before we get them here in the U.S. Keep the reports coming.

#5 ·
So it begins....

Just curious, you wrote: "This compares to 900 lumens (low lamp) that I got on the X900."
Isn't that a bit more like what the X900 would get on high lamp, calibrated? (Cine4home, for instance, got 980 lumens in high lamp, brightest zoom mode, for the X700).

Sorry, one last question: "The out of the box calibration was excellent" - can you tell me which OOTB picture setting you used, that you found "excellent?" Thanks.
You are correct, but I was lucky to have one that was specially "selected" :)

I tested another one and it was 720 lumens which I believe is what Cine4home measured. It seems that there can be large variations in the drop from peak output to calibrated, at least on the previous series

The picture settings in order on the menu were:

Natural
Standard
Normal

Ther are far less profile options on this model

#8 ·
Please make this a RS600 & RS500 thread...they are the same machine and I think most will appreciate having it all in one thread. Thanks

#9 ·
Please make this a RS600 & RS500 thread...they are the same machine and I think most will appreciate having it all in one thread. Thanks

I second that request. I think most in the speculation threads indicated a preference for a combined RS600/RS500 thread and a separate thread for the RS400.

Great to hear that you have your projector. Looking forward to hearing more feedback. Do you have any UHD sources?

#10 ·
I second that request. I think most in the speculation threads indicated a preference for a combined RS600/RS500 thread and a separate thread for the RS400.

Great to hear that you have your projector. Looking forward to hearing more feedback. Do you have any UHD sources?
I am quite happy to do that if someone has a suggestion for the title. Due to the silly JVC models numbers it is going to be very long title!

I do not have any UHD sources and 4K was not a reason I upgraded

#11 ·
RGB separation is very good. I'm surprised that it seems to be getting better on the LCoS variations now as a comment some years ago about this how the RGB separation on the LCoS technology was not that great

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Interesting that you mention that. I just tried to do a calibration using the projector controls only. It was easy to improve the grey scale with a simple adjustment to blue. It was also quite easy to bring the over saturated primaries into line however that totally wrecked the good RGB separation so I guess they still haven't fixed the CMS and I would suggest that users leave that off.

I don't want to turn this into a calibration thread but I will be going back to my Lumagen

#12 ·
I'll be very curious about your comparison to your having owned the X900. Once you've had a while to watch, if you could comment on what differences you are seeing in terms of contrast/black levels that would be great.
I don't think it would be a fair comparison. Due to some mild lamp aging I was watching the X900 with a fully open iris whereas I have the X9000 at -11

#14 ·
How is the saturation tracking @ 75/50/25?

thanks for the input so far. The RS600's will land here in the US sometime next week.

Any thoughts so far on e-shift 4 vs. previous gen?
On a quick look there were still some issue with saturation tracking but I would like to look at that further.

I turned E shift off on the x900 as I thought it made the image look soft.

After a very quick comparison last night, my wife preferred it on on the 9000. I need to do some more detailed looking

#15 ·
How is the saturation tracking @ 75/50/25?

thanks for the input so far. The RS600's will land here in the US sometime next week.

Any thoughts so far on e-shift 4 vs. previous gen?
On a quick look there were still some issue with saturation tracking but I would like to look at that further.

I turned E shift off on the x900 as I thought it made the image look soft.

After a very quick comparison last night, my wife preferred it on with the 9000. I need to do some more detailed looking before coming to a conclusion

#18 · (Edited)
Official JVC DLA-RS500, X750R and X7000 Owners thread

I was first to place an order on one down under and appears first to receive one ?

Birthday present for me :D

more pics coming :)

1st unboxing of a x7000 in the world ???

jvc has dispensed with the cardboard accessories box, 

double wrapped...which is a step forward from the single wrap of the x35

love the metallic black ! :)

and up and going :D

the peerless makes this all so easy in swap over...mount attachment on slid in and secured in place and thats it ! no need to adjust the mount at all wow !

basic adjustments, but thats it guys...unlikely will have much time else to do anything with this over the weekend ...its going to be killing me all weekend seeing it there but a very hectic weekend with B'day and kids stuff etc

cant wait to play more :)

Anyone else unpacked there's yet, can't wait to hear from other owners as they get theirs :)