AVS Forum banner

New JVC RS400/X550/X5007 Review

4K views 34 replies 19 participants last post by  stuartbrown21 
#1 · (Edited)
#26 ·
I've watched a number of 3D movies on this projector (and put it through some X-talk torture tests) and it's the best 3D I've seen so far. Pretty much ghost-free 3D with gobs of contrast and very bright. Finally, a non-DLP projector that can show 3D the way it's meant to be seen.

#6 ·
Hi guys,

AVForums has posted their review:

https://www.avforums.com/review/jvc-x5000-dla-x5000b-x5000w-projector-review.12128

It is very positive!

I would be interested in whether owners feel the same or differently.
Sorry fit the dumb question, but is this the same model as this? You have the RS400 listed in your title, but I don't see it in the article?

I have been looking at the AE800U because I really want CIH, and someone mentioned the new JVC line. Luckily for me, time is on my side as the theater room I'm building isn't finished yet.

So now, I'm looking at the RS400, I want the best picture and CIH for my budget.

#10 ·
I seem to be reading more positive remarks about the RS400 - I'm curious how close it can replicate a RS500 image, despite the lower brightness/CR spec. If it matches in all other areas, I wouldn't mind picking this over the RS500. I chose the latter after watching a podcast with Tom Norton being interviewed and his remark wherein he thought that the 500 was the best, value-wise. Price-wise they're both close to each other that I felt I could get more out of the 500 once I'm ready for the next upgrade in a couple of years. :)

#11 · (Edited)
The RS400 does not do P3 (if you are interested in upcoming UHD BD) and in most cases will not match contrast. I suspect it will get close to the contrast ratio of the RS500/600 with the iris fully or nearly fully opened, but given how much brighter the JVCs are this year, a number of people will be able to close their iris down for better contrast. For example, in my case I only need 500-550 calibrated lumens so there should be a stark difference and improvement in my set-up with the RS500/600.

I think the RS400 will rule the ~$3500-4,000 projector market next year. There will be nothing out there that comes even close for performance and price. I think that is probably going to be the case with the RS500 too.

#14 · (Edited)
Actually, the RS400/X5000 will do DCI it's just that it will only reach 83 percent of it. Currently I'm given to understand that in the rec709 world all HD movies only use a maximum of 75 percent of the colour saturation on offer. IF this is correct and IF it's carried over to the UBD BD DCI world, then 83 percent colour space may well be adequate.

#15 ·
I'm interested in how much of a difference having just 83% of DCI will make. I'm completely non technical in this regard, but when I see the illustration showing the entire colour space with the triangle within showing REC709 or DCI, it always seems that the change in colours at the extremes is very small ie each additional % of the defined colour space probably brings less benefit than the last? Or is this wrong?

Another question which betrays my lack of technical knowledge........UHDBD I think brings both DCI colour space and increased bit depth? So the X5000 can't achieve DCI, but is it correct that it can benefit from the increased bit depth, in a way that the X500 for instance can't? I think of bit depth as being analogous to resolution meaning more subtle graduations and possibly less banding? Apologies for my naivety, I've read that the X7000 & X9000 are 12 bit end to end and the X5000 isn't, so I'm just trying to figure out what this means in practice.

Thanks

#21 ·
Good questions.

According to people who are up to speed with color calibration experience, 80-some percent of P3 is significant de-saturation. I'm not sure if it will be preferable to rec 709 with UHD BD or not on the RS400, but surely it also depends on how much delta error you are willing to tolerate. For me personally as I am particular about calibration and accuracy, I would probably prefer to watch UHD BD in rec 709 on the RS400 but we'll have to wait and see how it plays out in practice.

With UHD BD being 10 bit, I'm not sure how the down-convert to 8 bit will work; will the player be able to do this and/or will the projector do it- and if so, which would be better? And what will be the effect? Perhaps more banding and less subtle graduations. But again, something we'll have to wait and see as far as the significance in practice.

However, I seem to recall someone saying last year's JVCs were actually 10 bit - but I cannot say for certain.

#22 · (Edited)
Just an FYI, but if you guys are in the U.S. and looking for a very good calibrator for dialing in your RS400, I highly recommend Chad Billheimer. His rates are very reasonable and he's been my calibrator for the last 10 years. He posts on this site as "Chad B" and you can search on his very positive reviews and he also owns a JVC and has cal'd a ton of them. I can tell you first hand what a huge difference a top-notch calibration makes on a projector.

#25 ·
I can second the vote for Chad. He did my Panasonic VT50 a couple years back and not only was the work excellent, it was enjoyable sitting with him while he performed the calibration, asking questions and just discussing tech. Just an all-around great guy.

Once I get my soon to arrive JVC projector and Chad is in my area, I'll certainly be contacting him.

#24 ·
The DiLA panels in this unit are 12 bit, but due to the video processing chain inside the projector, the outputted and displayed image is only 10bit. Only the two higher end models have full 12bit end to end video processing (RS500 and RS600).

#29 ·
His review is spot on on most things except for the black levels...I have tested the black levels on the RS400 as well as the X500 and X70 (3 most recent generation JVC PJs). His review he states that the blacks are mostly up to par with the previous X500 and thats simply not the case..the black levels are not comparable to the X500. You would need an X750 to get comparable black levels and doing the math, even an X750 wouldnt get you there fully. Where he is correct is that the RS400 is better in every other aspect.

#31 ·
Contrast question!

Is it correct that you get the maximum on/off contrast when the aperture is closed as far as possible and zoom is at minimum?

In my setup, the room is fully velvet lined, but quite small so with the pj practically pressing against the back wall and zoom at nearly maximum I achieve a 110" diagonal image. My current pj is a JVC HD350.

I am having thoughts around replacing this with either an X500, X5000 or X7000. In terms of X500 vs X5000, I imagine I'd run both on low lamp, but have the brighter X5000 iris clamped down further to brightness match. Does this sound like a scenario where the X5000 contrast and black level may exceed the X500?

I'm also weighing up whether if I choose one of the current models, do I step up to the X7000, but again I'm not sure how in my scenario the contrast may differ? The iris would be clamped way down, but the zoom would be at maximum and I'm unsure if that would kill the advantage gained by having the iris clamped?

Happy for any thoughts on this matter! Cheers.

#32 ·
Contrast question!

Is it correct that you get the maximum on/off contrast when the aperture is closed as far as possible and zoom is at minimum .
Yes youll get the best CR with the iris fully closed and the lamp on low. Next best would be lamp on high with iris closed. Keep in mind the RS400 has a much higher lumen output than the X500 so you'll be able to close the iris more and still have enough lumens to fill a 110" screen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.