**Preview Release of Web Projector Calculator** - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #1 of 61 Old 01-01-2016, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 265
**New Release of Web Projector Calculator (AVS Preview)**

Web Projector Calculator RELEASED ONLY to AVS Forum Users

Site can be found here:
www.webprojectorcalculator.com

user: coder
pass: avs99

NOTE:
The calculator runs the smoothest and fastest in Google Chrome as far as the overall look and feel, but can also function just fine in Firefox or Opera or MS Edge, yet at a bit more of an abrupt pace. It is password protected because it is a preview release, but everyone here is WELCOME to login and try it.

If the program seems complicated, this sample video below may help you understand:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/wm...m/PJ_Demo1.av

CoryW, DIY Guy, DigitalAV and 12 others like this.

**New Projector Calculator Released**
Access HERE from this thread

Last edited by coderguy; 01-04-2016 at 05:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 01-01-2016, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Reserved2

post #3 of 61 Old 01-01-2016, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1042 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Thank you.

Good layout and intuitive. Lots of features to play with.

It's always in the last place you look.

Last edited by cardoski; 01-01-2016 at 03:56 PM.
post #4 of 61 Old 01-01-2016, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks, for people needing Metric calculations, IT IS THERE, it's on the very bottom right you can click that little box for metric.

General Features List

Screen resizes automatically within the REAL aspect ratios using a simulated 3D perspective that is HALF 2D and HALF 3 dimensional

Ability to convert to metric and show all values as metric or English with click of a single button

Lens Shift Calculations are shown as TEXT in the Details Tab, so even if there is a pixel issue, you can rely on the hard-coded values
---
Some data may be inaccurate from not having updated it yet, but I am working on this now.

New 2.35 - 2.40 Screen Calculations are probably working as a Lens Memory option
(waiting for Mike from AVS to test)

Dynamic calculations occur showing over 25+ simultaneous results

Text changes color to indicate if the PJ mode is TOO DIM, About Right, or TOO BRIGHT

Convergence Grading System allows you to document or compare the convergence of similar projectors. Even though the actual sharpness inferred by the grading system may not be perfectly accurate, the one thing that makes the system useful is that the DIFFERENCE of a Convergence Score between 2 projectors still has a significant relationship.

Last edited by coderguy; 01-04-2016 at 05:52 AM.
post #5 of 61 Old 01-01-2016, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1042 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Forgot to mention it works fine in Opera.

It's always in the last place you look.
post #6 of 61 Old 01-01-2016, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Found a minor metric only bug when the screen size borders the very top of the ceiling , it shows the wrong result, but it's not a huge bug that affects any real calculations. I must have misversioned this software at one point or another during all these breaks.

Another metric bug is that you MUST choose the screen ASPECT ratio BEFORE changing to METRIC, this is a simple workaround. Just do not change the aspect ratio while in METRIC mode, stay in ft/in, change aspect, then change to metric to view metric calculations. This bug will be fixed eventually, but it is not a priority since there is a simple workaround.

Last edited by coderguy; 01-03-2016 at 07:27 PM.
post #7 of 61 Old 01-03-2016, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Man finally a projector calculator that does high and low lamp mode. HUGE big time thanks.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #8 of 61 Old 01-03-2016, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I recommend people use the Projector Reviews site or Zombie10k's reviews to find lumen data and enter it manually into my projector calculator, until I am finished updating the data. It's going to take me a while, this is a LOT of data to deal with.

Also, when people ask about tricky mounting advice questions, it would be great if others help spread the word about my calculator. I believe the calculator can help people make better and more informed decisions on which projector to buy given the layout of their room.

Thanks...

Last edited by coderguy; 01-03-2016 at 06:51 PM.
post #9 of 61 Old 01-04-2016, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked: 1095
Good work, thanks for this. Chrome has been at the forefront of javascript optimisations for many years now, which makes the biggest difference to overall browser speed. If you turn off javascript and navigate the net (sans clutter / ads / junk mostly, let's face it), pretty much any browser will be fast.
post #10 of 61 Old 01-04-2016, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks, I've been working on this calculator on and off for a few years (more "off" then on), but I took a break from it for over a year. Entering the data is extremely tedious. PJC for instance pays overseas people to enter all their data, but I do not have any revenue from the site so I have to enter it myself

Firefox has cache indexing issues as its memory footprint grows on the heap, it works almost as fast in Firefox after you reset the cache and if you do not have too many browsers open on other sites.

post #11 of 61 Old 01-04-2016, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 30
post #12 of 61 Old 01-15-2016, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Hi. Nice Work. Two things:

1) You label the wide angle position as Zoom position. I think this needs to be reversed as the further you move the projector from the screen, the more you have to zoom to keep the image from exceeding the screen size.

-Is this correct?

2) Based on my knowledge of cameras, lenses typically vary their light output based on zoom position. This is why some projectors show more of a change in brightness based on zoom position than other projectors do. The RS500 has a lens ratio of 3.2-4 f stops (depending upon zoom position). This is a substantial difference as an f stop of 2.8 lets 50% more light pass as an f stop of 4 (its a half stop difference). This means that the JVC lens lets through 50% light when in the wide position. That fact could be a critical factor for people looking to eek out every last lumen for large screen 3D (like me)

My questions are:

-For the baseline data, what zoom position was in use?
-Does the calculator account for variations in light due to zoom position (which is a separate factor from lamp power, iris position, etc.)
post #13 of 61 Old 01-15-2016, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Hi. Nice Work. Two things:

1) You label the wide angle position as Zoom position. I think this needs to be reversed as the further you move the projector from the screen, the more you have to zoom to keep the image from exceeding the screen size.

-Is this correct?

2) Based on my knowledge of cameras, lenses typically vary their light output based on zoom position. This is why some projectors show more of a change in brightness based on zoom position than other projectors do. The RS500 has a lens ratio of 3.2-4 f stops (depending upon zoom position). This is a substantial difference as an f stop of 2.8 lets 50% more light pass as an f stop of 4 (its a half stop difference). This means that the JVC lens lets through 50% more light when in the wide position. That fact could be a critical factor for people looking to eek out every last lumen for large screen 3D (like me)

My questions are:

-For the baseline data, what zoom position was in use?
-Does the calculator account for variations in light due to zoom position (which is a separate factor from lamp power, iris position, etc.)

Last edited by loganross; 01-15-2016 at 05:05 PM.
post #14 of 61 Old 01-15-2016, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

1) The closer the projector is to the minimum throw, the more zoom. I do it the same way as other calculators like www.projectorcentral.com's calculator. Does not need reversed.

2) I've researched this before, F-Stop is a very inaccurate number when it comes to projectors. Every projector is different, but for the most part the F-Stop calculations do not work. As a matter of fact, in serious commercial applications they use T-Stop instead of F-Stops for this very reason. The JVC for instance only varies 22% to 25% from closest throw to farthest, or about 12% from mid-throw to closest throw. Whereas some projectors only vary by 15%, and other by as much as 60% or more. The manufacturers also do not take care in posting correct F-Stop numbers, they are often "float dropped" or rounded or just completely wrong. The lens coating, lens quality, refractive index, and inner apertures and other things greatly affect F-Stop calculations rendering them ineffectual. F-Stop calculations only work on projectors with certain designs, they work better on business projectors that have very little contrast coating, but even then they are still pretty inaccurate at times. By using percentages instead of F-Stops, we are also able to use the difference in average % between multiple measurements of closest to farthest throw, so this will on average be closer inside the center of the error margin by default. The percentage also allows for users to enter their own measurement variation, if using any type of stop calculation it would be difficult for the user to enter custom data.

3) The calculator starts at Mid-Zoom, and each projector has a different percentage that the brightness changes as you go back to farthest throw or forward to closest throw. You can change how the % increases/decreases under the "advanced" TAB for each projector. The numbers in the calculator come from reviewed projectors, as well as people posting in the forums with light meters, as well some are my own measurements.

Last edited by coderguy; 01-17-2016 at 10:01 PM.
post #15 of 61 Old 01-15-2016, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

This is excellent. Thank you for demonstrating the depth of your knowledge. And for your hard work!
post #16 of 61 Old 01-15-2016, 11:45 PM
Advanced Member

Hi. How is brightness measured in 3d? Also, I hope you don't mind my curiosity, but why is 3D brightness only 1/3 of the brightness. I thought it was around half. With respect to the JVC RS500 specifically, were JVC horizontally polarized glasses used?
post #17 of 61 Old 01-15-2016, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Questions are good, as I appreciate the input people give on the calculator as I continue to get closer to release.

For 3D brightness, what I had to do was use an average loss across different models, the reason being is there isn't enough accurate data out there to get post-glasses 3D measurement for ALL projectors individually, so I just set it to a 65% loss as a generic global average for all projectors. Some lose 80%, some lose 50%. This brightness is also affected by different glasses and screen designs, so there is really no exact average. Now if you have the optimal screen and glasses, then you can adjust accordingly. I may go back and set individual 3D percentages for each projector, but it is not a high priority at the moment. When you think about a 15% difference, it isn't going to make much difference in 3D calculations, even if it were 10fL and supposed to be 8.5fL, not really all that much difference, plus the error margins are likely to reduce or add to that anyhow.

This is also why I let you change the value yourself. The loss in brightness in 3D can be adjusted under the Display tab.

Last edited by coderguy; 01-16-2016 at 12:09 AM.
post #18 of 61 Old 01-16-2016, 12:09 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks.

The more I work with the calculator, the more impressed I am. Since the 3D info is not model specific, I would recommend that you put an asterisk near 3D with the explanation you have above.

Awesome work!
post #19 of 61 Old 01-16-2016, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganross View Post
Thanks.

The more I work with the calculator, the more impressed I am. Since the 3D info is not model specific, I would recommend that you put an asterisk near 3D with the explanation you have above.

Awesome work!
Good point, I will add an explanation under the "Tips".

post #20 of 61 Old 01-18-2016, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Updated Version Released (Preview Release 24.003)

Projectors Added:

**Added all common home theater projectors for Sony, JVC, and Benq (a few high-end Benqs still need added)

Bug Fixes and Updated Features:
**Fixed Max Throw for 2.35 Lens Memory Calculations for JVC, Sony (and other Center-Based offset projectors)
-------The minimum throw was correct, but the max throw was not

**Fixed bug in Mounting Pole Length (this bug was introduced by accident in the last version, but now fixed again)

**Added an asterisk next to *3D Lumens to denote that all projectors are reduced by 65% for 3D by default

**Changed recommended minimum fL to 14 to 18 (instead of 12 to 16), in a future version the text will only turn green for 14+ fL to indicate it being bright enough, currently the text color itself still works off 12+fL even in this version...

Last edited by coderguy; 01-18-2016 at 01:31 AM.
post #21 of 61 Old 01-25-2016, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked: 144
@coderguy , picking up the discussion from RS500 thread
Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread

The discussion is about calculating the smallest throw distance to maximize the lumens. For my current screen size which is 145" 2.40, calculator shows the distance around 19.5 feet(I can't confirm that right now since I can't use calculator at work due to security restriction). But I have my projector mounted at 17.3' distance with a vertical drop of around 9". At this distance, I'm able to completely cover the screen. In fact, I can zoom further out and I can see the image going out of screen side. This tells me that I'm not utilizing max zoom.

So the scenario is: How can user determine the shortest throw distance? I believe how low projector is from ceiling also plays an important role since the closer the projector is, the more we need to shift the image vertically. In my case, currently, projected lens currently is 9" from ceiling and I have the flexibility to bring it down 8-9" further. In calculator, I do see that it has option to define where the projector is from ceiling using left slider (left side of screen) and I can also enter how high screen is from bottom. This gives enough information to determine shortest throw distance.

What I want to do now is to determine the shortest throw distance I can use for a 130" 2.40 screen.
Thx
post #22 of 61 Old 01-26-2016, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Edit:
See screenshot below where I circled in blue (screenshot is for a 145" screen though)...

So the minimum is less for a 130" 2.40, so about 14 feet (and this is what the calculator would show for a 130"), but you never really want to mount a PJ right at the minimum unless you are forced due to room issues. Now in the screenshot, I entered your old size (145"), but you can try this for your new size (130") and it should come to 14 feet. I would say mount it so the lens / front of projector is mounted at about 14 feet 6 inches from the screen, this should maximize lumens for that screen size.

If you are getting different results than above, please let us know your browser version and post a screenshot in this thread. Thanks...

You determine the minimum throw distance in the calculator by setting the desired screen size and aspect ratio. So set the screen size on the right to 130" and aspect to 2.35/2.40. The minimum throw is therefore shown as the right number under the slider (the number circled in blue on the right). You can move the little ball in the middle of the slider to the right or left. Watch the video at the top of this thread for more info.

I believe the calculator is correct, so let me explain how.

Be careful not to look ONLY at the mid-zoom position, because the closest throw is to the right. By default, the calculator starts at Mid-Zoom (look at slider you can move it farther right). The number you quoted is about the middle of the throw range, not the closest or farthest you can go.

To define the ceiling position:
You must first enter your ceiling height on the right blue box, and enter the screen height / distance from floor. The calculator does correctly calculate ceiling distance, if you enter those numbers correctly, and it will take into account lens shift positions.

Also, one other distinction to note:
Another confusion could be because Lens Memory means going back and forth between 16:9 and 2.35/2.40 content, so if someone is sticking with pure 2.35/2.40, they will have a larger placement variety. The reason for the further restricted placement in the calculator is that people would not be able to use LENS Memory to go back and forth between 16:9 and 2.35/2.40 content optimally to stay within the bounds of the programmed lens memory.

I probably should add a "2.35/2.40" NO LENS Memory / Native Screen option. The confusion in doing this though is that it would also have to make certain assumptions. Ceiling height does not affect throw distance with projectors, depending on obstacles in the room of course and the screen position (Which my calc does make note of)...

Last edited by coderguy; 01-26-2016 at 09:30 AM.
post #23 of 61 Old 01-31-2016, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Hi,

Nice tool, can't wait to see keep evolving. Especially the seating tab. Anyway, wanted to share a minor graphic issue. The screen size green bar is rendering odd after making some adjustments.

I'm on a Mac OSX 10.11.3 using Chrome Version 48.0.2564.97 (64-bit)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-01-31 at 7.17.04 AM.png
Views:	129
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	1221682  

Brad
AVR Anthen AVM 60 Amp Emotiva XPA-7 & XPA-5 Sources Oppo 103D, FiOS
Speakers Atmos 7.2.4 - TruAudio B23-465s (LCRs), TruAudio B23-265s (SL/R & SB), Dual SVS PC-2000s (Subs), 4 In Ceilings
PJ JVC RS500 Screen 153" DIY 2.35:1 Spandex
My crazy long build Coffered Ceiling
post #24 of 61 Old 01-31-2016, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for the feedback, yup am aware of the graphical bug on the screen slider. The key to avoiding it from growing for now is to use the slider center-grip only to change it (instead of clicking around inside the bar). I will be replacing it in the next version with a new control.

post #25 of 61 Old 02-09-2016, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Would release winforms instead of webforms, A lot things do not work and interface is not very intuitive to many things to play with.
post #26 of 61 Old 02-09-2016, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1830 Post(s)
Liked: 1539
post #27 of 61 Old 02-09-2016, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks...

@Soul
No plans for a Windows version at the moment. The current design does everything it needs to do with only a few nuisance bugs, nothing too major, and it does it with no postbacks and very little Ajax (the only Ajax will be for biz projectors and the stats loading). The reason the screen size control has that bug is simply because it is a 7-year old control. I started building this thing years ago, I just didn't have time to get back to it until now. This is a pre-release version and is simply developed in my spare time (not going to put much pressure on myself, but I'll continue to develop it out slowly), I also have a regular job and other side projects, so only so much time for this. Lots and lots of data to finish entering. The key features that are relied on for measurements for the data I have finished entering (Benq, Sony, JVC) should be functioning correctly. If someone finds an issue, then that person should PM me any issues they find that are specific to their config...

All in due time the thing will get more polished, but I think the UI is fairly intuitive, I mean that is a LOT of data I have to show. I do not think there are many easier ways to show so much data, it's the sheer amount of technical data that complicates the form. It's easy to think --- well look at PJC's UI it's so simple, yup but they are not showing hardly any data either. They don't show physical lens shift or screen size and position relative to the room, and they only show one brightness mode, nor do they have 3D Lumens.

I think anyone that reads the tips section or watches the video can figure out the application easily enough. The point of the calculator is to give more detailed info than the other calculators, not to rebuild what is already out there...

Last edited by coderguy; 02-09-2016 at 06:26 PM.
post #28 of 61 Old 03-17-2016, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
First off, thanks for putting this together. Awesome stuff. I'm getting ready to make my first projector purchase.

Perhaps this is the wrong thread to ask this question, but the calculator is showing that using the Benq HT2050 will have a 22 fL screen brightness after 500 hrs, low lamp mode, and at the projector's farthest throw (for 96" screen, see image). I understand that the target brightness is around 12-14 fL.

Will this be too bright for a dark room? I'm afraid the picture will look washed out, and the blacks will look rather gray. I plan on darkening the walls/ceiling around the screen with black velvet, and there are dark curtains on one of my walls.

Am I choosing the wrong projector? I'm assuming a 1.0 gain screen, as most of the acoustically transparent screens seem to be around there.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Benq_ht2050_projector_calc.PNG
Views:	110
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	1321569  
post #29 of 61 Old 03-23-2016, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 113
That link hasn't been working for the last few days. I was able to access it before that and think it's awesome. I'm looking at a different screen size, and wanted to recheck my figures, but it keeps failing:

Google Chrome: "This site can't be reached"...took too long to respond. Same thing on different computers.

I hope it's not gone!!

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, each powered by a bridged Adcom GFA-555; Center JBL LSR-308
Dolby Bed (4): Wharfedale Diamond II's, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
DLC Photography
post #30 of 61 Old 03-26-2016, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Bump - the calculator page still does not come up.

Is it gone forever??

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, each powered by a bridged Adcom GFA-555; Center JBL LSR-308
Dolby Bed (4): Wharfedale Diamond II's, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
DLC Photography
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP