Official JVC DLA-RS400 (X550/X5000) Owner's Thread - Page 154 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2172Likes

post #4591 of 4672 Old 08-16-2017, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post
I hate to be a "Topper", my ex wife stabbed every speaker driver in my HT. 3 mids, 7tweeters, 10woofs, 4subs.....hammer to the PJ lens, acoustic treatments in the woods, along with my Denon 3808ci.... All Dayton drivers, hitachi dlp pj.
So...the silent treatment then?

Ouch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 4672 Old 08-17-2017, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 4
That's one way to finalize a divorce!

Oppo 203>Marantz 7702>JVC RS4910
post #4593 of 4672 Old 08-17-2017, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post
I hate to be a "Topper", my ex wife stabbed every speaker driver in my HT. 3 mids, 7tweeters, 10woofs, 4subs.....hammer to the PJ lens, acoustic treatments in the woods, along with my Denon 3808ci.... All Dayton drivers, hitachi dlp pj.
Wow. I'm sure you didn't sleep that night, or at least made sure there were no knives left in the house 😬. Crazy! I hope it all resolved itself, along with your equipment. Could have been much more costly...

post #4594 of 4672 Old 08-17-2017, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
So...the silent treatment then?

Ouch!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old A/V Addict View Post
That's one way to finalize a divorce!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post
Wow. I'm sure you didn't sleep that night, or at least made sure there were no knives left in the house 😬. Crazy! I hope it all resolved itself, along with your equipment. Could have been much more costly...
Crazy dont take a day off gentleman
MichaelZ, wreelsw, HTPCat and 1 others like this.

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **

DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction
post #4595 of 4672 Old 08-20-2017, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 3
After going back and forth between the Sony 45es and the Epson 5040ub for months I thought I had finally settled on the Epson. But I happened to see a JVC in action today and needless to say I was blown away. I saw the RS420 but my understanding is that the RS400 is nearly identical to it at least picture-wise. The closeout deals on the RS400 bring it close to the price of the 5040ub and so I am really tempted.

My room is small (11x13) and I already have a Silver Ticket 110" screen that I would like to use. Would the RS400 work for me ? I think the throw distance needed should work in my room but I may not have the 8" or so rear clearance the projector needs according to the manual. I have seen pictures of the JVC mounted almost against the back wall and so how important is it to leave the 8" behind the projector ? Will mounting it any closer to the back wall cause heating problems ?

Thanks,
-D

Last edited by DeepAction; 08-20-2017 at 04:43 PM.
post #4596 of 4672 Old 08-21-2017, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepAction View Post
After going back and forth between the Sony 45es and the Epson 5040ub for months I thought I had finally settled on the Epson. But I happened to see a JVC in action today and needless to say I was blown away. I saw the RS420 but my understanding is that the RS400 is nearly identical to it at least picture-wise. The closeout deals on the RS400 bring it close to the price of the 5040ub and so I am really tempted.

My room is small (11x13) and I already have a Silver Ticket 110" screen that I would like to use. Would the RS400 work for me ? I think the throw distance needed should work in my room but I may not have the 8" or so rear clearance the projector needs according to the manual. I have seen pictures of the JVC mounted almost against the back wall and so how important is it to leave the 8" behind the projector ? Will mounting it any closer to the back wall cause heating problems ?

Thanks,
-D
From what I understand, the RS400 will produce the same picture as an RS420. The biggest difference is in the way they handle HDR. The RSX00 models require a bit of tinkering with custom gamma curves whereas the RSX20 models do not. I've got some links in my signature for setting up custom gamma on a RS400 and also how to calibrate your projector with JVC software.

The JVC projectors intake on both sides from the back and blow hot air out the front. The manual has some pretty ridiculous distance requirements but as long as you have a few inches, you should be just fine.

Also take note of my link about 4K HDMI cable choice. Now is the time to replace all of your HDMI cables.
post #4597 of 4672 Old 08-21-2017, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 777
It does throw off some heat, I was suprised at how much. If I forget to crank the air down I know about it before the movie is up. Great pj
post #4598 of 4672 Old 08-22-2017, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepAction View Post

Thanks,
-D
My room is only a little bigger than yours and I've got the RS400 as well as a 110 Silver Ticket Screen. I've been very happy with both. I was worried initially going with the Silver Ticket Screen, but ultimately it has done a good job for me and ended up being a very nice, cheap, screen.

If you want to take your screen to the next level and don't have a fear of hot glue, I made masking for my screen and it has made a huge difference in picture quality. For $100 at Hobby Lobby, a few hours of work, and probably a blister, you can really improve the picture.

Allen's easy masks

My Theater: The Ugly Theater
post #4599 of 4672 Old 08-22-2017, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Up and running

Thought I’d give my status and thanks to all involved:

I’ve been up and running with my RS400/X5000 with 4K and HDR a while now, after calibration with Autocal and then using Mannis latest 4000 gamma curve. The picture is the best I have ever seen. The presentation is genuinely film-like and organic. My eyes register black as black (not grey) and highlights seem to contain enough light to simulate real-life reflections. The whole family watched The Martian and my wife and oldest daughter actually commented on the projected quality. That never happens (or perhaps they just felt compelled to complement my long calibration-weeks-of-verbal-angst).

Of course, the image differs to film to film, where The Martian and Pacific Rim are metal sharp while Arrival is soft and laidback. The cool thing is that regardless of movie type, the picture is not drowning in the incapabilities the projector but projected they way they were meant to. 4K/HDR/custom gamma and the dynamics of the JVC gives them a natural force.

I’m heading towards a HDFury Linker soon and will also replace my aging receiver. Quite a trip from just a month ago when I was considering closing down my home theater.

So a big, big thank you to all AVSFORUM members involved in giving me able advice and super fast support - seriously, I could NOT have done this my myself. Quite amazing.

JVC RS400/X5000, Marantz SR5011, Sony UHD X800
—————————-
"National unity in Europe is still defined in terms of blood and earth. In the USA it's the idea – expressed in the Constitution – that supports the development of the nation. In the matter of integration the difference is profound: everyone can agree on an idea, but no-one can change their ties of blood."
post #4600 of 4672 Old 08-22-2017, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrenata View Post
So I've been trying to get a 3D MKV (MVC) to play from my PC which has an Nvidia GTX 970. Might be the wrong place to ask but wondering if anyone here has succeeded at it. Anyway, I tried various players and they all failed. Stereoscopic Player and PowerDVD just outright fail.

Then i finally got something working with mpc-be and lav, madvr filters after i installed shark codecs. However, i can only get top-bottom 3D to work, which while the 3d looks pretty good, the purist in me knows that half that resolution is gone. So I am wondering how do i get the frame sequential to work. Is there something i need to enable or a framerate im supposed to set?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Hey darkrenata,

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I've been looking through about 15 different forums and FINALLY found someone that is having a similar issue that you were having!!!
I can't get my MKV 3D movies to play in 3D on my x5000. I was trying last night through my laptop plugged into the projector but couldn't get it to work. What do I need for this to work? Do I need to have a geforce card if I want to use my laptop?? My desktop PC has a GTX 970 I could try it on but laptop only has on-board graphics (Intel).
But I want to get it working on my laptop so I can just plug it in when I want to watch a 3D MKV movie.

Thanks man
post #4601 of 4672 Old 08-23-2017, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
This is highly discussed topic in this forum, and the RS500/RS600 forum.

See these 2 posts I have made previously, which provides links to the information you're looking for.

Basically, you need to do a good JVC Autocalibration, followed by creating a Custom Gamma Curve for HDR. Here are my posts to get you started:

First Post

Second Post

If you're completely unfamiliar with all of this, it will take some time and effort to get up to speed. The other option is to hire a professional calibrator, such as ChadB, to do the work for you.

Good luck!

Don
I would like to have Chad B or someone give my RS400 a custom calibration and HDR update.

How do I contact Chad B. I live in western Pennsylvania.

Thank you
post #4602 of 4672 Old 08-23-2017, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by bontrager View Post
I would like to have Chad B or someone give my RS400 a custom calibration and HDR update.

How do I contact Chad B. I live in western Pennsylvania.

Thank you
Here's a link to Chad's website:

HDTV by ChadB

I haven't used his services yet, but I don't think I've ever read a single neutral, let alone negative, comment about his work - nothing but superlatives across the board. You'll find contact info at that link to see about getting on his schedule.

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, each powered by a bridged Adcom GFA-555; Center JBL LSR-308
Dolby Bed (4): Wharfedale Diamond II's, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
DLC Photography
post #4603 of 4672 Old 08-24-2017, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 66
in an effort to get maximum nits of HDR, I noticed that selecting Color Temp as High Bright, I get about 25 more nits than any of the other settings.

Is there a reason not to select High Bright?

Also, semi-related, should I be calibrating greyscale for HDR or is it fine to leave it at 6500K (the Color Temp setting I calibrated for SDR-Rec-709?

If so, which Color Temp. setting should I use?

Last edited by Sittler27; 08-24-2017 at 08:39 PM.
post #4604 of 4672 Old 08-25-2017, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by netgod2002 View Post
Hey darkrenata,

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I've been looking through about 15 different forums and FINALLY found someone that is having a similar issue that you were having!!!
I can't get my MKV 3D movies to play in 3D on my x5000. I was trying last night through my laptop plugged into the projector but couldn't get it to work. What do I need for this to work? Do I need to have a geforce card if I want to use my laptop?? My desktop PC has a GTX 970 I could try it on but laptop only has on-board graphics (Intel).
But I want to get it working on my laptop so I can just plug it in when I want to watch a 3D MKV movie.

Thanks man

Hey man, no worries at all. the issue wasn't the projector for me so much as the playback software wasn't properly detecting auto 3d mvc mode. If I forced sbs I could get it to work some of the time, but i didn't want the halved resolution. I was using at the time mpc-hc x86 w/ LAV and madvr. Never managed to get it to work with mpc-hc. My solution was to install mpc-be and used the same LAV decoders and madvr renderer. This worked. You might also need to set the projector as the primary display, or it won't detect 3d mode. I don't remember if I set 3d mode in the nvidia control panel settings, so you might need a geforce display, not sure. It should definitely work with the 970, I'd say try that first and see if you can get it to work then replicate on your laptop. Hope this helps.
post #4605 of 4672 Old 08-25-2017, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I've been using my RS400 for almost a year now with Blu Ray only, no 4K player. I've been thinking about upgrading to 4K but after reading through this thread, It seems like an enormous hassle full of likely issues, and the possibility of needing to replace my HDMI cable. That would be a pain for me, with my cable installed through the attic and the wall. I just want to know if the picture upgrade is really worth it. It's a lot of trouble for a picture that is not even true 4K. My screen is pretty large, 160" 2:35. I'm wondering if HDR would even work well at that size. The one reason I'm thinking about it the most is the fact that some Blu Rays don't include the Atmos track, it's only on the 4K version. So, is it worth the trouble?
post #4606 of 4672 Old 08-25-2017, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassage View Post
I've been using my RS400 for almost a year now with Blu Ray only, no 4K player. I've been thinking about upgrading to 4K but after reading through this thread, It seems like an enormous hassle full of likely issues, and the possibility of needing to replace my HDMI cable. That would be a pain for me, with my cable installed through the attic and the wall. I just want to know if the picture upgrade is really worth it. It's a lot of trouble for a picture that is not even true 4K. My screen is pretty large, 160" 2:35. I'm wondering if HDR would even work well at that size. The one reason I'm thinking about it the most is the fact that some Blu Rays don't include the Atmos track, it's only on the 4K version. So, is it worth the trouble?
This is a tough call, and obviously quite subjective.

I also have the RS400, with a 160" 2.35:1 screen. Mine is 1.3 gain, which helps - what is yours? My throw is about 18 feet. I have done black velvet treatment around the screen, with a black rug in front, but my walls and ceiling are not black.

I have done the JVC Autocalibration, and used Arve's Software to generate a custom curve for my particular situation. Overall, the result is quite good, but I'll have to be honest and say that overall the improvement, to my eye, is not a night and day change. I mean, many regular Blu-rays look so dang good, it's hard to improve on it.

If someone has the RS600, a smaller and/or higher gain screen, shorter throw distance, and a bat cave room, then there would likely be a more noticeable degree of improvement. But with the RS400, and larger screen, and in my situation, a decent room, but by no means a bat cave, it's not a huge improvement.

And the improvement will be more evident in some movies more than others, and some scenes more than others.

As you point out, sometimes the 4k/HDR version is the only one with the Atmos track, and that will provide a side-benefit, so to speak.

If your goal is to get the absolute best out of your system, then 4k/HDR is the way to do it. But I personally think it would be unrealistic to think you'll be completely blown away by what you could get beyond a well-made regular Blu-ray.

Don't know if this helps, but there it is!

Don

Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, each powered by a bridged Adcom GFA-555; Center JBL LSR-308
DLC Photography
post #4607 of 4672 Old 08-25-2017, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would say yes, but it is a bit of a can of worms. Some some titles look better than others and some titles still look better on regular Blu-ray. I've gotten push back on saying so but I've provided evidence. There's no way of telling ahead of time which is which but I'm still picking everything up in 4K and hoping future technology will improve the presentation of some of them. I'd say its about 80/20.

Hopefully you've been buying 4K combo packs since they are very close in price to the BD combo pack. I recommend researching the information I put below, pickup a new HDMI cable and player and test it out on a few titles for yourself before you run through the wall. Truth be told though, you will go 4K HDR eventually, its just a matter of when...

If you do venture into HDR, you must set up custom gamma curves. It really isn't all that difficult and I've got some links in my signature for setting up custom gamma on a RS400 and also how to calibrate your projector with JVC software.

Also take note of my link about 4K HDMI cable choice. Now is the time to replace all of your HDMI cables.
post #4608 of 4672 Old 08-26-2017, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 36
How much difference have people found between the RS400 and the newer 420?

I like the 400 but was thinking about the 420

is it worth considering ?
post #4609 of 4672 Old 08-26-2017, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 29
DLCPhoto, I remember talking to you last fall when I bought the RS400. You have the same size screen I have, so I took some advice from you. I'm honestly not that super excited about going through the trouble to upgrade to "fake 4K", but I would like to upgrade to Atmos eventually. I have 7.1 now. But some of these movie studios are pretty sleazy leaving out the Atmos track from the 1080p version. There's no reason for this except to try to force you to upgrade. Mad Max Fury Road has Atmos on the 1080p disc, as well as many others. I'm much more interested in upgrading to Atmos than 4k. Regular Blu Rays look so amazing on this projector already. And now, learning that some 4k movies actually look worse?? Not a great incentive to upgrade.

I plan to buy future movies with the 4k/Blu combo packs because I know that eventually it will be the standard. As for my HDMI cable, I bought it about 3 years ago and it says that it is 100% guaranteed to work with 4K at 60hz. I have no idea if it will really work, though.
post #4610 of 4672 Old 08-27-2017, 03:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
DLCPhoto, I remember talking to you last fall when I bought the RS400. You have the same size screen I have, so I took some advice from you. I'm honestly not that super excited about going through the trouble to upgrade to "fake 4K", but I would like to upgrade to Atmos eventually. I have 7.1 now. But some of these movie studios are pretty sleazy leaving out the Atmos track from the 1080p version. There's no reason for this except to try to force you to upgrade. Mad Max Fury Road has Atmos on the 1080p disc, as well as many others. I'm much more interested in upgrading to Atmos than 4k. Regular Blu Rays look so amazing on this projector already. And now, learning that some 4k movies actually look worse?? Not a great incentive to upgrade.

I plan to buy future movies with the 4k/Blu combo packs because I know that eventually it will be the standard. As for my HDMI cable, I bought it about 3 years ago and it says that it is 100% guaranteed to work with 4K at 60hz. I have no idea if it will really work, though.
Yes, I recall our conversations back then.

Agreed - it's a low blow from the movie studios to omit Atmos from the regular Blu-ray; really poor form. And why they often omit it from the 3D version as well is beyond my comprehension. It is supposed to be above total immersion, right??

I don't think I said that some 4k movies look worse than their regular BD counterparts, as I haven't really experienced that. But I have read that about an occasional movie. I do use bluray.com reviews to determine which 4k discs provide enough improvement over the regular disc, in terms of either video and/or audio, so I'm selective about which I buy at this point.

As for your cable, it really is hit or miss, unless it is premium certified (which I don't think was even out there 3 years ago). It might work, it might not.

It seems you're leaning away from the time/hassle/expense of moving to 4k right now, which I think is quite reasonable. I'm glad I did what I did, but I was putting my system together for the first time, so it didn't require much additional time or hassle.

Another option is to wait a bit and see what the future brings in terms of 4k/HDR projectors with better performance in this regard: higher light output, which really benefits HDR, better HDR implementation in terms of accommodating a Projector's limited light output relative to very bright LED or even OLED sets, etc. Then make the move at that time.

Good luck, whichever way you go!

DLC Photography
post #4611 of 4672 Old 08-27-2017, 03:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit1 View Post

As I understand it, there are 2 primary differences:

1. The 420 has lower lag, so therefore better gaming performance. If you're not a gamer, this gains you nothing. If you are, you're probably better off with the 420.

2. The 420 has better "built-in" settings for HDR. The 400 has only "Gamma D" which most of us find completely unacceptable to watch HDR movies. *But* - if one uses Arve's software tool to create a custom gamma curve for the 400, you will have HDR performance which matches, and likely excels, what the 420 does out of the box.

Other than these 2 factors, they are the same projector, and you can likely get a 400 for considerably less than the 420.
Mike Garrett likes this.

DLC Photography
post #4612 of 4672 Old 08-27-2017, 04:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit1 View Post

Also, the 420 bulb is 100 lumens brighter which might beneficial for HDR
post #4613 of 4672 Old 08-27-2017, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 6955 Post(s)
Liked: 4646
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf84 View Post
Also, the 420 bulb is 100 lumens brighter which might beneficial for HDR
No it is not. The 400 and 420 use the same light engine, same lens and the same lamp. They have the same lumen output. JVC under specced the rS400, RS500 and RS600. When JVC brought out the new models, JVC corrected the specs. So contrast and lumens are the same on the 400/420, 500/520 and 600/620.
Maddog56 likes this.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
post #4614 of 4672 Old 08-27-2017, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
No it is not. The 400 and 420 use the same light engine, same lens and the same lamp. They have the same lumen output. JVC under specced the rS400, RS500 and RS600. When JVC brought out the new models, JVC corrected the specs. So contrast and lumens are the same on the 400/420, 500/520 and 600/620.
Ah I see, I just based on info from JVC website, thanks for clarification
post #4615 of 4672 Old 08-28-2017, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 6955 Post(s)
Liked: 4646
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf84 View Post
Ah I see, I just based on info from JVC website, thanks for clarification
Yes, because of the revised specs, a lot of people have made that same assumption and I would too, if I did not know the facts from JVC.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
post #4616 of 4672 Old 08-29-2017, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by invadergir View Post
I think it might be a video board connection problem, because that is what I was told about my similar problem with my JVC X950RB. It just went in a week ago for repair and should hopefully have it back by next Friday at the latest. It played great for the first 2 weeks and then it would shut itself down on the startup. I could see the bulb light up and hear the iris move but then the lense closed and got the flashing lights. I came here and was told to try removing the bulb from the projector and then place it back into the projector. As it might not of been sitting properly for it to stay lit. That didn't do anything and over the past few months has gotten even worse. I could eventually get the projector working after unplugging the power and plug it back in, after 15+ tries. So I would suggest calling JVC and send it in for repair

Here's the video of my projector that I sent JVC and was told of board issue.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=986NJiTEiTg
Update - JVC warranty said that it's a power board (part # XD1-0155-50) that they'll replace.
Will this erase my professional calibration?
post #4617 of 4672 Old 08-29-2017, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgott42 View Post
Update - JVC warranty said that it's a power board (part # XD1-0155-50) that they'll replace.
Will this erase my professional calibration?
I have no idea. I didn't do anything calibration wise to mine but I am finally getting it back tomorrow from repair. I made a few screen sizes memory for fun and can let you know tomorrow if they disappeared

Ok got it back and looks like everything was left untouched in that department

My DVD Collection
HOME THEATER:
JVC X950RB Projector, 106", Samsung 51" 3D Plasma, Marantz sr7010 in 5.2.4 Atmos/DTS:X

Last edited by invadergir; 08-30-2017 at 11:45 AM.
post #4618 of 4672 Old 09-01-2017, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New owner of a RS400

Hello.I have a question about my RS400 set up.I have a 133" screen(16:9) with 1.0 gain in a totally light controlled room.I set the pj lamp on LOW with a dynamic iris( auto 2).My question is should I put the iris aperture on manual or should I stick with the dynamis iris.I watch 1080p content(no interes in 3D). Sometimes when I watch movies with DI on, I can see when the iris is working.It is subtle but I can notice it.If I put it on manual should I fully open the aperture for my screen size?Thanks

Last edited by cristisabo; 09-01-2017 at 01:56 AM.
post #4619 of 4672 Old 09-01-2017, 02:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristisabo View Post
Hello.I have a question about my RS400 set up.I have a 133" screen(16:9) with 1.0 gain in a totally light controlled room.I set the pj lamp on LOW with a dynamic iris( auto 2).My question is should I put the iris aperture on manual or should I stick with the dynamis iris.I watch 1080p content(no interes in 3D). Sometimes when I watch movies with DI on, I can see when the iris is working.It is subtle but I can notice it.If I put it on manual should I fully open the aperture for my screen size?Thanks
It honestly depends on what you prefer most. I shut the dynamic iris off right away as I also saw it operating and did not like it, some on here love it. I also shut off CMD, Clear Black, etc. For the first year of ownership with my RS400 (and the RS46 I owned before it) I ran in Cinema picture mode, Low Lamp and iris 0 for everything except 3D where I bumped to high lamp. I eventually settled on -6 iris for everything except 3D & 4K (high lamp and iris 0). A calibrator will tell you that you can use a light meter to measure the light output of your projector and adjust the brightness down with the iris to provide an image closer to what a theatrical experience provides.

I posted some notes here about getting started with your RS400, check it out. Welcome to the club!
post #4620 of 4672 Old 09-01-2017, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I was on the verge of getting this (AVS closeout deal) but I see that JVC has announced new projectors that would make the RS400 a two-year old model (almost an eternity in electronics these days). How long would it be for the RS420 to be offered at closeout prices and would the price on the RS400 drop further to make room for RS420 in the closeout bin ?

-D

Last edited by DeepAction; 09-01-2017 at 04:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
DLA-RS400

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page